The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

J

JohnW

Not exactly, Thorkil. You must press twice -- once to turn AE Lock off and again to turn it back on. This assumes your AE Lock is set to hold rather than press. Can't remember what the default is. On TAv, ISO is the only variable, so you are basically locking ISO. I don't mind letting ISO run high, but don't want bad readings due to backlight or whatever.

Once one learns to recognize middle gray, it's about the most accurate and mindless exposure method that I know of.

One thing to watch for: as I recall, pressing the playback button releases AE lock.

Yes, I use Lightroom and SilverEfex. Pretty straignt conversions, usually with the default preset and some local dodging and burning. Nothing fancy.

John

Thorkil

I'll guess John, this will mean almost zero shutterlag, while the chip should only do shutterspeedcounting? This could mean essential better instant reaction in taking pictures while moving.
thorkil

J

JohnW

I'll guess John, this will mean almost zero shutterlag, while the chip should only do shutterspeedcounting? This could mean essential better instant reaction in taking pictures while moving.
thorkil
I never thought about it that way, but you're probably right. The camera doesn't have much thinking to do. And if, in addition, you are able to use snap focus....

But I've never noticed shutter lag to be a GR issue, no matter how I've used the camera.

John

Thorkil

I never thought about it that way, but you're probably right. The camera doesn't have much thinking to do. And if, in addition, you are able to use snap focus....

But I've never noticed shutter lag to be a GR issue, no matter how I've used the camera.

John
when walking, overtaken a person to the right, and slinging your right arm to the left and pointing backwards in a happy-go-lucky way and pushing the trigger while everything, your hand, your body, the other person is moving (and are you hitting the target at all out in the blindness..?) I fell despite TAv, snap distance that measuring the light and setting the iso in the chip, just set you back some very important milliseconds, and the feeling of that ultimate connection often lacks. So I would like to try this way of setting...
thorkil

raist3d

Wouter! Nice to see you around here. You met me before when we discussed the Pentax Q ages ago.

I envy all of you who pick the Ricoh GR as your main camera. I just can't but not because of the camera, but because I am not a 28mm shooter. But if I was, I know that's where the buying stops.

- Ricardo

Tim

Cupcake anyone, taken in very dim light with the GR. ISO2000
The maker of these is an artist!

Wouter Brandsma

Wouter! Nice to see you around here. You met me before when we discussed the Pentax Q ages ago.

I envy all of you who pick the Ricoh GR as your main camera. I just can't but not because of the camera, but because I am not a 28mm shooter. But if I was, I know that's where the buying stops.

- Ricardo
Hi Ricardo, I know. We've discussed the Pentax Q on my blog. Still have that camera although I never use it.