The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Vivek - do you mean Keith aka Woodmancy? I don't have an RX-1 (wish I did)

My GR has not yet arrived. I really like the images here both color and B & W. I kept my GRD IV though because the small sensor cameras "draw" quite differently. I have the GXR 28mm lensor which has the same look as the GR sensor in Black and White.

Keith

V

Vivek

No keith. I meant the other Keith who poster before me (i hope that is his name!). Look forward to your pics!

I am very likely to get one as soon as they become available in the EU.

kuujinbo

Keith, How does this compare- you had the RX-1 earlier?
It depends what you want. IQ and high ISO, no contest the RX1 by a landslide. I think you already know that part. :)

If you're asking me why I sold the RX1 and decided on the GR, it basically comes down to a few things:

• Cost - I ended up with a NEX-6 and the GR for less money than the RX1 even after I sold and took a loss on the RX1. Two cameras for less money and more flexibility, but losing IQ and high ISO.
  • Intended use - The GR and NEX-6 will be backup cameras. The RX1 is way too good a camera to see the occasional use it would have seen if I kept it. And to be honest, I'm not that good of a photographer to have a camera like the RX1 as a backup/second camera, which is what the GR and NEX will be as a pair.
  • Usability - And this is very personal and subjective. For some reason I just didn't click with the RX1. Had the NEX for less than a month, but love it. Had the GR for less than a week, we'll see.

A few things I will say from reading your posts in the various forums - hope I'm not taking too much liberty here:

• Don't underestimate the value of high ISO, especially since you own the MM, which from what I've seen is beautiful. If the MM is your standard, the RX1 may be a better choice.
  • IIRC you have or had a NEX-5N or NEX-6? The GR has similar output and high ISO.
  • The GR files are surprisingly easy to work with. For the pirate photo above, I forgot to reset the ISO and completely blew out the background, but was able to recover nicely.

kuujinbo

A few more from today.

Next two using snap focus, relatively low light shot wide-open. Need more practice...

ISO 2000, 1/160

ISO 2200, 1/100

V

Vivek

It depends what you want. IQ and high ISO, no contest the RX1 by a landslide. I think you already know that part. :)

If you're asking me why I sold the RX1 and decided on the GR, it basically comes down to a few things:

• Cost - I ended up with a NEX-6 and the GR for less money than the RX1 even after I sold and took a loss on the RX1. Two cameras for less money and more flexibility, but losing IQ and high ISO.
  • Intended use - The GR and NEX-6 will be backup cameras. The RX1 is way too good a camera to see the occasional use it would have seen if I kept it. And to be honest, I'm not that good of a photographer to have a camera like the RX1 as a backup/second camera, which is what the GR and NEX will be as a pair.
  • Usability - And this is very personal and subjective. For some reason I just didn't click with the RX1. Had the NEX for less than a month, but love it. Had the GR for less than a week, we'll see.

A few things I will say from reading your posts in the various forums - hope I'm not taking too much liberty here:

• Don't underestimate the value of high ISO, especially since you own the MM, which from what I've seen is beautiful. If the MM is your standard, the RX1 may be a better choice.
  • IIRC you have or had a NEX-5N or NEX-6? The GR has similar output and high ISO.
  • The GR files are surprisingly easy to work with. For the pirate photo above, I forgot to reset the ISO and completely blew out the background, but was able to recover nicely.
Thanks!

FWIW, I have a C3, 5N, 6 and 7. The MM is in a different class altogether.

roanjoh

I must say the sharpness quality of the GR files are akin to the Sigma DP1, and you get better high ISO with no odd color shifts. All in all, a win win. Plus it focuses much faster! I think I am in love! I have the NEX-3 and color doesn't even compare, somehow the NEX colors seem too unnatural to me. I also have the Panasonic G3 and I might ditch that in favor of the GR - color with M43 are also odd to my eyes, too magenta-ish. Will post more photos after this weekend!

kuujinbo

Thanks!

FWIW, I have a C3, 5N, 6 and 7. The MM is in a different class altogether.
Wow, quite a nice collection. :) If you're still on the fence about the RX1 I would ask Ashwin - he has one and a MM, so knows first hand how they can go hand in hand. He loves the RX1, BTW.

V

Vivek

Actually, I heard from your RX-1 buyer (or rather the current owner of your RX-1). :). Thanks, again!

Last edited:

Thorkil

well, this is just some loose Jpegs,
hope that C1 soon will update for the GR.
sorry but they are taken at Vivid as I got used to the neutral on the GRD4 was too pale. But now this seems a bit too harsh and it does a bit too much sharpening too by this setting

iso 1100 1/200 2.8

and 100%:

iso 160 1/200 2.8 but the wind was blowing

iso 200 1/200 5.6

and 100%:

and finally iso 140 1/200 5.6

and the upper right corner at 100%:

Thorkil