The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ordered a Ricoh GR. A bit nervous...

animefx

I have read and seen enough reviews to justify ordering a new Ricoh GR. I usually shoot 40mm or 50mm because they seem pretty natural to me.

I'm a bit nervous for 2 reasons. I'm used to that Leica "shine" and sharpness I can get from the M8 + 35 Summarit (or 50 Summilux ASPH). The other reason is simply that I haven't used a 28mm focal length in almost 4 years. I briefly used the 28mm f/2 lens on my 5D2 DSLR and had trouble seeing with it, but I wasn't quite as skilled of a photographer as I am today either (yes, I still have a very long ways to go). One of my top 25 photos was taken with the 28mm focal length, but nothing else I would be proud of.

I'm primarily interested in shooting general street photography with it as well as architecture. Architecture more in an abstract form. I really enjoy Ming Thein's style of shooting architecture and he also seems to share my love of reflections.

I'm planning on a trip to Chicago maybe this Sunday or maybe the following weekend with only the Ricoh GR

Hopefully snap focus will have acceptable sharpness with at f/8 - f/11 with zone focusing, so I can simply worry about composition.

If you guys have any insights to alleviate my fears I would appreciate it.

roanjoh

Nothing to be nervous about. It's a great little camera. Focal length is subjective - but 28 is a good compromise between 24 - 35. You'll get used to it!

JSRockit

The GR is very sharp and the lens is very good. I prefer it to the M8 at this point. I wouldn't stress this aspect.

I have read and seen enough reviews to justify ordering a new Ricoh GR. I usually shoot 40mm or 50mm because they seem pretty natural to me.

I'm a bit nervous for 2 reasons. I'm used to that Leica "shine" and sharpness I can get from the M8 + 35 Summarit (or 50 Summilux ASPH). The other reason is simply that I haven't used a 28mm focal length in almost 4 years. I briefly used the 28mm f/2 lens on my 5D2 DSLR and had trouble seeing with it, but I wasn't quite as skilled of a photographer as I am today either (yes, I still have a very long ways to go). One of my top 25 photos was taken with the 28mm focal length, but nothing else I would be proud of.

I'm primarily interested in shooting general street photography with it as well as architecture. Architecture more in an abstract form. I really enjoy Ming Thein's style of shooting architecture and he also seems to share my love of reflections.

I'm planning on a trip to Chicago maybe this Sunday or maybe the following weekend with only the Ricoh GR

Hopefully snap focus will have acceptable sharpness with at f/8 - f/11 with zone focusing, so I can simply worry about composition.

Hi Animefx

The GR has a 35mm focal length crop mode which can be assigned to any of the function buttons. That, plus a step or two, will get you almost back to a normal focal length.

I have one on pre-order as well so I know what you are going through. I have searched for a truly pocketable P&S with good IQ for a long time now. I got really excited when Sony brought out the RX100 then Nikon announced the Coolpix A and finally lost it when Ricoh announced the GR.

Paul

V

Vivek

Take a look here: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/small-s...ternational-intergalatic-ricoh-gr-thread.html

All the images (including the single non GR one) there are from a 28mm. :)

Do not restrict yourself to f/8-11. You can shoot at f/2.8 if you "know" your distance. It takes <30 mins to figure it (ie hyperfocals) out, indoors.

Godfrey

Now if they will release one with a constant f/2.8 zoom lens with focal length from at least 28-70mm. :p
If you want that camera, buy a Ricoh GXR body and the A16 24-85/3.5-5.5 camera unit. It's the closest thing you're going to find in the compact marketplace (and that lens is hardly compact by the standard of the GR).

The laws of physics and optics make a 28-70mm EFoV f/2.8 constant zoom lens necessarily somewhat bulky, if it's going to cover an APS-C sensor.

G

animefx

Looks like my order wasn't on time and I'm on the pre-order list now. I was really looking forward to using it this weekend but I'll have to be patient and wait until mine arrives / ships.

bensonga

My question is where can I buy one here in the USA
Steven,

I just checked with my friend (Brian) who is the manager of our local camera store here in Anchorage (Stewarts Photo). They have the new GR in stock. It's a very good shop (bought my Pentax 645D there recently). 907-272-8581.

Gary

weeks82

Steven,

I just checked with my friend (Brian) who is the manager of our local camera store here in Anchorage (Stewarts Photo). They have the new GR in stock. It's a very good shop (bought my Pentax 645D there recently). 907-272-8581.

Gary

All sold, thanks!