The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flash and the DPxMs

pflower

I am planning on a series using the Dp2 and DP3Ms with 2, possibly 3 flashes - off camera and through umbrellas. This is not my usual way of working and flash is not a strong point.

I have an SB800 for a Nikon which works off the hotshoe of my DP2M in manual mode - although from memory there are weird restrictions on shutter speeds. I have also bought my daughter 2 (incredibly cheap) Yongnuo flashes which also work well with the Nikon and in conjunction with the SB800. So I am trying to work out something that will fire all 3, or possibly just 2, from the DPxMs - obviously in manual mode.

There is a very cheap Yongnuo wireless trigger for Nikon which looks possible - frankly the idea of spending serious money on Pocket Wizards does not appeal since this is probably a one-off project.

So my question is: if the hotshoe on the DP2M will fire the SB800 is there any reason why it should not also trigger the wireless transmitter which will fire the flashes? Am I missing something and does anyone have any experience and advice on using speedlite type flashes remotely from the DPxMs?

thanks

adsf

I have successfully used a cheap "phottix" manual-mode (middle contact only) trigger on my DP2M.

pflower

In case anyone is interested, I bought the cheapest triggers I could find on Amazon - something called PT-04s - transmitter and 4 receivers for £27.

Works perfectly with my SB800 and a couple of Yongnuos - all in manual mode of course. Curiously when I stick the SB800 on the hotshoe of the DP2M it won't fire at all with a shutter speed of anything slower than 1/125th. The triggers allow sync at all speeds up to 1/500th but whilst the flash will fire with shorter exposures there is no sync. Doesn't worry me.

Years ago when I had a studio with monoblocs I dropped 2 Pocket Wizard transmitters and 4 receivers into a bucket of water (not intentionally I hasten to add). That hurt. £27 seems like a bargain to me but whether they will withstand even light useage is open to question but they seem pretty well made to me.

I have successfully used a cheap "phottix" manual-mode (middle contact only) trigger on my DP2M.

adsf

"but whilst the flash will fire with shorter exposures there is no sync. Doesn't worry me."

I thought they fixed that quite a while ago in Firmware?
Before they claimed to fix it, it actually did work for me (with that cheap triggers).
Have to try it again.