The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2M versus RX-1

biglouis

I don't know the value of this but it may be of interest to some of you.

I own both the DP2M and the RX-1. In fact I also own a DP3M as well.

I have recently returned from 4 days photographing around the Somme in France. Pretty grim topic and not my first choice but I agreed to accompany a family member.

I am now processing the pictures and by chance I have a comparison shot between the DP2M and the RX-1. It pretty much summarises what I think of the two cameras.

Both shots were at f8 focussed on the foreground.

First up is the RX-1 shot of remembrance wreathes looking over the Somme plains at La Boiselle. I'd left the camera on iso640 by mistake.

I really like the colour rendition of the RX-1. Very film like. You have to be careful when converting to sRGB for the web that the colours do not oversaturate and I normally reduce before posting.

Next up is the Sigma DP2M shot.

Not suprisingly the DP2M has to my mind bags more definition that the RX-1, although it has a more subdued character as far as the colours are concerned.

Although it is horses for courses my feelings between the two cameras are as follows.

The RX-1 renders much more artistically than the DP2M. It suggests to me that the Sony developers think much more about the look and feel of what comes off the sensor rather than pure IQ. The DP2M shot is characteristically outstanding as far as IQ goes. You can clearly see that the green wheat crop is single stalks and even in the distance there is tons of definition. Quite amazing, really, for a compact camera (although we all know it is really more like a shrunk-down H4D!).

If I was exhibiting I would be tempted to go with the lesser definition of the Sony shot. I think a general audience would find it more appealing. However it is the DP2M shot which has ended up in my Flickr stream.

What do you think? I'd be interested to know.

LouisB

PS Incidentally, and this a surprise to me - I used the DP3M much more than my DP2M.

adsf

Both are focussed in the foreground?

Foregound (red stuff) looks pretty unsharp and blurry in the dp2 shot. Its the othe way with the Sony. Background is not in DOF and appears blurry

Ulfric Douglas

The RX-1 poppies look so RED they almost blend into each other on this web-page-sized image.
The DP2M poppies are more sharply defined (like everything in the picture) but was there some serious pinkiness in your memory or is that created from the file and your choices in processing?
I wish digital sensors had more tolerance for the nuances of RED : in both pictures the stonework is sharp and the poppies look unsharp and I'm sure that's just digital (both taken and t'internet)

All I can say is thanks for posting these and can we have some more please?

Tim

The detail in the DP2M image does seem higher, particularly at distance. I feel the brickwork in the foreground in the RX1 image seems better though. The DP2M brickwork seems a little overblown perhaps? On the LCD here I think I just prefer the RX1 image - even though I am a DP2M owner! I see them as different more than worse or better.

As for a huge print I suspect both will be amazing, the winner of a large print will be the viewer.

I didn't want to bring it up because we all know this and its not the point of Luis post - however I am stupid enough to reiterate it - you can of course buy all three of the Merrills (28/40/75) for the price of the RX1. Having said that I'm not 100% sure I'd carry all three all of the time!

biglouis

Tim

Thanks for the comment. I agree with you about the foreground. Had not noticed that before.

Owning a RX-1 was a big decision for me. I already owned the DP2M but I did want something wider. I also liked the idea of a full frame sensor in such a small package. I was also fortunate to pay one DPxM camera less for the RX-1 as it was second hand.

The IQ of the DPxM cameras is superior to the RX-1. However, the RX-1 is a more complete camera and the images are subjectively better as a whole even if they are inferior at a pixel level.

I would not hesitate to sell the RX-1 if Sigma produced a DPxM body which (a) had an inbuilt or external EVF and (b) interchangeable lenses - especially a 35 f2 or similar and my dream of dreams something like a 21 or 25 35mm equivalent in the line up. That would be an awesome camera!

LouisB

retow

An interesting comparison with an expected outcome. A DP1M, RX1 and DP3M in the bag is one heck of a travel combo. I don`t have the DP1M (yet?) but the 2&3 and the Sony. Focal length wise the DP2M and RX1 are too close for traveling together for my requirements. So I guess I will have to bite the bullet and buy the DP1M as well. By the way, the digital camera which lastet longest in my home is the first generation Sigma DP1 and thus turned out to be rather inexpensive.

Jim DE

biglouis, Now, that you have gone to LR5 with your RX-1 processing I am curious if your evaluation of these cameras has changed any?

Currently I am waiting for the NEX FF or the new Nex 7 replacements before I make a final decision but the RX1r is also in the running for a new setup.

OliverM

Very interesting comparison.
The DP2m is so sharp that I don't expect any camera to do better.
But what I don't like with it is that pictures do not look natural : like oversharpened in some cases (can be partially fixed when processing) and more critically the colors are transformed by the sigma processing software. For some landscapes it can work, for some portraits after some pp, it can also work. But when I open a picture in sigma software, see the nice picture and then see it destroyed by the sigma color treatment that is systematically applied and that we can't undo, I am so frustrated that I don't want to use the camera anymore.
So I am still looking for a compact camera which would deliver nice colors. Also I would like to make some family short videos sometimes. RX1(R) might be the solution ???
If you have more shots, also with people, Out of camera, it would be great to share !
Many thanks

Jim DE

Oliver, I know what you are talking about with the color changes but using the color wheel in SSP and some of the other settings you can pretty much make the colors anything you want. I usually shoot Neutral and set the wheel about a third out towards 03:30 or so. This pretty much nails most scenes of course I mainly use my DP2m for panos and landscapes only. I intentionally avoid having people in my shots no matter what equipment I am using. Too many years of having to shoot them burned me out for that subject matter. :(

Jim DE

Hey Lou, I am still curious as to how you feel today about this comparison now that you are using LR and have been using these cameras for some additional time. I have a RX1r itch starting to annoy my wallet ;)