The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sidegrading from Nikon D80 -> Panasonic G1

Tim

Hi,

I've been watching the postings about the Panasonic G1 and am attracted to it because of the size. I have lately been leaving my Nikon D80 home and toting my GRD II mainly because of ease of carry. With two kids the GRD is much easier to manage.

My question is that if I sold the Nikon D80 and moved "sideways" to the G1 to gain the benefit of size would I suffer any IQ loss of any type? The G1 has a smaller sensor but its a step onward with technology, they are similar resolutions so is it reasonable to expect the same or maybe better output? I do tend to print a lot of my images.

I've only tended to use the one kit lens and something within the 28-100mm range (old school lenses) is all I mainly use so the G1 lens offerings are fine for me.

thoughts? Thanks

Tim

Henry Goh

Hi Tim,

I have several very good Nikon lenses like 28mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4 etc and shooting them with D80 gives good images provided I shoot NEF and am careful not to go too high an ISO setting. On G1, I find the kit lens to give me very good images even up to ISO800. I'm so pleased with this that I have just ordered a 45-200mm Panasonic lens to complete my G1 kit. Hence, I think you will not be disappointed with the sidegrade.

nostatic

Picked up a G1 today for the g/f and shot it side by side with my Pentax K20d with a fast prime on it (arguably superior to a D80). The G1 more than held it's own. I think you'd be very happy with the "sidegrade", and the G1 is a svelte little system. It won't fit in your pocket though, but does fit easily in my g/f's purse.

Hi,

I've been watching the postings about the Panasonic G1 and am attracted to it because of the size. I have lately been leaving my Nikon D80 home and toting my GRD II mainly because of ease of carry. With two kids the GRD is much easier to manage.

My question is that if I sold the Nikon D80 and moved "sideways" to the G1 to gain the benefit of size would I suffer any IQ loss of any type?...
FWIW, I got the G1 for very similar reasons, being a bit fed up with toting my D200 gear, and underwhelmed by my D-lux 3 (my Digilux 2 is still highly in favour, but right now in for sensor renewal).

After a week or so, the entire D200 system has gone to a better home with my oldest son; don´t miss it one bit...

As for IQ, yes, I suppose the 17-55/2.8 is marginally better than the kit zoom for the G1, which is all I have right now. But once one stops doing "test shots" and starts taking real photographs, no one thinks about any differences.

And I´m eagerly awaiting adapters for my Leica TM, M, and R glass that is right now languishing in the cupboard. And, actually, one for my Nikon 60/2.8 macro (the old AF one with an aperture ring; necessary for Nikon glass on the G1). Manual focussing is so easy and accurate that I use it a lot even with the kit lens.

Tim

As for IQ, yes, I suppose the 17-55/2.8 is marginally better than the kit zoom for the G1, which is all I have right now. But once one stops doing "test shots" and starts taking real photographs, no one thinks about any differences.
This is what I am thinking too, the IQ is sooo close that no one who looks at my images will likely even know or see.

Thanks for the thoughts.