The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma announcement

peterb

Sigma certainly has the goods (and moxie) to do something special. The DPM's have been very well received and they've learned a thing or two about what needs to be done for the next iteration. The notion of turning the system on its head (if that is an accurate translation and intent from the Polish) is interesting.

Following the Leitz model it could be an all in one APS-C compact with a fabulous zoom like their 18-35mm f1.8 loaded with an EVF and better AF which wouldn't be hard to implement.

Or, since Sigma was really the FIRST company to start the big-sensor-in-a-small-compact craze, perhaps something compact with a FF FOVEON (although with the results of the APS-C not sure how necessary that is). Having a FF mirrorless FOVEON system would certainly turn the system on its head.

Clearly something is afoot!

Last edited:

phips243

I definitely hope, it's not the MFT option...a mirroless Foveon system camera would be nice...but not with a sensor smaller than APS-C...can't imgagine it would do the Foveon's not so good high ISO performance (at least in color photography) any good...

Michiel Schierbeek

Or, since Sigma was really the FIRST company to start the big-sensor-in-a-small-compact craze, perhaps something compact with a FF FOVEON (although with the results of the APS-C not sure how necessary that is). Having a FF mirrorless FOVEON system would certainly turn the system on its head.

Clearly something is afoot!
An FF mirrorless Foveon camera would be awesome! And it would give a lot of cameramakers a hard time in sheer image quality including MF format.
On top of that they are making wonderful lenses as well lately.

Ulfric Douglas

I hope it's not a 35mm sensor, look at what their accountants decided was a retail price for their SD1 ... before everything got "Merrill" and a sane price-cut.

I hope it's a souping-up of all the internals of their DP series to bring the performance in line with the competition ... but it won't be since that doesn't fit the headline.

I hope its not a mirrorless Foveon body : I believe they're not ready for that microlens/colourshift headache.

adsf

An FF mirrorless Foveon camera would be awesome! And it would give a lot of cameramakers a hard time in sheer image quality including MF format.
On top of that they are making wonderful lenses as well lately.
I would sell my complete other camera stuff to buy that... (if it has slightly better ISO performance and got rid of that green stuff in the shadows)

But it seems more like a Lens related thing...

phips243

The uber thing, when it comes to turning things upside down, would be Foveon MF lol...imagine an Alpa with a Foveon back...lmao

But seriously...a FF sensor with a similar pixel count as the current Merrill generation would dramatically improve the high ISO matter, wouldn't it?

Tim

What about a Merrill body with an M mount? :deadhorse:
Probably not that!

This is not likely - but would you like a DP4 Merrill in 21mm equivalent lens?

peterb

Looks like it's turning out to be a free adapter service that'll let you change the mounts of any Sigma lenses you own should you go from one system (like Canon) to another (like Nikon). <sigh>

Tim

Looks like it's turning out to be a free adapter service that'll let you change the mounts of any Sigma lenses you own should you go from one system (like Canon) to another (like Nikon). <sigh>
I did not see hints on any of Sigma's other sites about a big announcement.

I'd still like to see a 21mm equivalent Merrill

biglouis

Boring! But actually not a bad service, when you think about it.

What about a Merrill body with an M mount? :deadhorse:
Probably not that!

This is not likely - but would you like a DP4 Merrill in 21mm equivalent lens?
I would immediately pull out my credit card and whap it down on the counter for a 21mm equivalent DP4.

LouisB

Jim DE

Biglouis.... me too! A 21equivalent would be a "gotta have" especially if it had great edge to edge performance like the DP2m.