The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The wondrous Isle of Skye, Scotland

vieri

The Isle of Skye, for those not familiar with it, is a large island on Scotland's west coast; however, since 1995 Skye has been connected to the mainland with a bridge, loosing its official "island" status but increasing the number of tourists that reached its shores in the process. These numbers are still very reasonable though, and Skye still is a place of magic, full of undiscovered beaches, rock cliffs, waterfalls, and so on. I spent a week there this last July, and will definitely come back soon (possibly for a workshop next spring): I simply cannot have enough of those incredible landscapes! :D

I just finished processing and preparing for printing about half of the images out of the Skye trip; here you'll find a few appetisers, the remaining of the 38 photographs I prepared so far are on my website

HERE.

So here we go:

All images have been shot with a Sigma SD1 Merrill, the Sigma 35mm f1.4 A, the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8, and the Sigma 10-20 f4.5-5.6. To see the rest of the 38 photographs I prepared so far, click HERE.

Hope you enjoyed this fantastic island! Best,

Vieri

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Fantastic photos, Vieri. I haven't been there in more than 20 years, but your photos really make me want to pay the island another visit.

foveon

nice shots, but I am curious why you set F11, using 17mm at F8 you get DOF from 3 feet to infinity without running into diffraction issues

vieri

nice shots, but I am curious why you set F11, using 17mm at F8 you get DOF from 3 feet to infinity without running into diffraction issues
Because except for the first shot here, in all the shots I have a foreground closer than 3 feet, and not all the shots are at 17mm...

biglouis

Vieri

They are all magnificent captures but this one is beyond words. The composition is just wonderful, let alone the colours and the way the foreground melts towards the distant peak.

I'm the written equivalent of speechless.

LouisB

PS You are really selling me on the idea of a SD1M!

vieri

Vieri

They are all magnificent captures but this one is beyond words. The composition is just wonderful, let alone the colours and the way the foreground melts towards the distant peak.

I'm the written equivalent of speechless.

LouisB

PS You are really selling me on the idea of a SD1M!
Louis, you are too kind, you leave me speechless now :D seriously, thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

The SD1M is a very competent camera indeed, especially if used for what it can do best - however, Skye and it's beauty are what made this photo for me...

All the best,

Vieri

snowy

Fantastic images of a wonderful place. I've not been there for about 5 years so it's time I visited again :) Only thing I don't like is that your watermark is a little heavy on some of the more subtle ones (first two particularly) which spoils them a bit, but I guess that's better than risking them being ripped off.

vieri

Fantastic images of a wonderful place. I've not been there for about 5 years so it's time I visited again :) Only thing I don't like is that your watermark is a little heavy on some of the more subtle ones (first two particularly) which spoils them a bit, but I guess that's better than risking them being ripped off.
Thank you snowy, I am glad you enjoyed. The WM is a necessary evil, unfortunately, and I am sorry for the unpleasantness of it. About Skye, it's such a great place, I'd go there again tomorrow if I could... :D