The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

all dp2 merrill users

tray271

ive been looking for a long time for a attachment that will allow me to use the dp2 in bright sunlight ..most have been either poorly made or just not worth the effort...i have linked a youtube video an item a bought the other day ...my partner has made the video with his mobile phone so excuse the quality ...the product is the carry speed v4 view finder...it is fantastic ,superb.....very well made and it makes such a difference to the small 3inch screen of the merrill ..it magnifies by 3x and i cant recommend it enough ....rock solid and very well made and thought out...will be getting some more for my other cameras .hope this is of use to some people ...allso there is a screw on the plate which allows you to remove the whole of the device from the camera so can easy be put in a back etc ...

dp2 merrill carry speed v4 - YouTube

Sapphie

Hi

Thanks for this info and video - you sound very enthusiastic! I have been toying with getting a Hoodman Loupe but this may be better as it attaches to the camera. It does seem to make the whole rig rather 'honky' but I guess you'll say it's worth it.

I have two questions - is it really easy to remove and re-attach into the same position? As you know, we need to change batteries regularly! Or switch to another Merrill ...

Also, how is the 3x magnification? Is that constant and does it cause the screen to appear grainy or even to make it hard to see the edges?

Finally, where did you source it from in the UK? I see there is a UK seller on ebay ...

Cheers
Lee

tray271

hi sapphie .really simple to remove there is a screw on the plate you turn and the whole device can be moved..really simple ..the magnification is spot on and nice and clear ...i cant see any grain and it makes focus much easier..with the new firmware on the dp2 you can now choose your focus point via live view which is great....be good if sigma brought out focus peaking option ..yes i got it from a uk seller ...i payed £124 at first i thought that is a bit pricey but once i had seen and used it i soon realised it was worth every penny

The Ute

I use a hoodman loupe.

Works great and is way cheaper than the other.

Don't think it's worth the price difference.

And it is also much bulkier.

JMHO.

tray271

i have to disagree ..this thing doesnt let any stray light in becasue its a snugg fit and it can be removed within a view seconds ...the bulk helps with the balance of the dp2 and you can hold the underneath which help s you keep it steady..its an awsome device and well worth the extra cash ..

ChrisSearle

Although I have not used the Carryspeed device, I must say that I regularly use a Hoodman loupe and I find that it does not allow any stray light in if well attached to the camera. For critical focus on a tripod I find it excellent, the limiting factor is the less-than- optimal resolution of the screen on the Sigma, it's pretty poor compared to the screen on my ( admittedly much more bulky and expensive) EOS 5D3.