The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

An Artist - A true star

jonoslack

Hi there
After a couple of years off, with bird scarers and boring plastic foxes, our local farmer is back on song. I went out in -10deg today to get some pictures of his newest, and greatest work of art.
He and his wife (just normal Suffolk farmers) seem to manage to make them sinister without being twee, funny without being ludicrous . . . . .
Taken with the A900 and the Sigma 12-24:

The dog wasn't so sure though:

Knorp

Hidiho Jono,
love that second shot a lot, the way the bird scarer (scarecrow?) resambles that tree in the background, like they are going to hug each other.
Mmm, is that far fetched or what ... :eek:

But poor old Blue, of course he isn't so sure: FCOL man it's -10deg :ROTFL:

Thanks for sharing.
All the best.

jonoslack

Hidiho Jono,
love that second shot a lot, the way the bird scarer (scarecrow?) resambles that tree in the background, like they are going to hug each other.
Mmm, is that far fetched or what ... :eek:

But poor old Blue, of course he isn't so sure: FCOL man it's -10deg :ROTFL:

Thanks for sharing.
All the best.
HI Bart
Not far fetched (at least, I was thinking of it when I took the shot). I've been photographing the farmer's scarecrows for a few years now, they are what they are - to scare the birds, this one is a little more precious than some, but it still has that dodgy and odd feel about it.

Blue's okay - actually, of course, he couldn't give a toss about the scarecrow, he's just embarrassed when his photo is being taken from 6 inches away!

jonoslack

HI Cindy
Love the shot of Blue. The scarecrows are fun.
Thanks for looking - maybe the scarecrow is a little too considered this time - I'm afraid the farmer knows that I take photos of them. Still, they are splendid, all the more so in that they sit in the middle of the fields, miles from anywhere, where only the crows and me and Blue will appreciate them!

Glad you like the dog shot - taken into the sunrise, and you can still see the detail in his coat and eye - the DR on the A900 is effortlessly good.

You can just see the "WTF ?" going thru Blue's mind. Nice shots Jono
:ROTFL:
Exactly, although, truth be told, the :wtf: was more to do with his boss lying on the snowy ground about 8 inches away from him when it was -10

Robert Campbell

Exactly, although, truth be told, the :wtf: was more to do with his boss lying on the snowy ground about 8 inches away from him when it was -10
'Mad dogs and Englishmen?'

Nice pix, though -- we don't have much in the way of crops in our part of Ireland, so I haven't seen a scarecrow for years. And in Switzerland they grow cabbage and maize around us, and the birds are too well behaved.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
You should organize your scarecrow shots from several years into a gallery.

The scarecrows are nice, but Blue is the true star! Now, is he looking at the scarecrow...or you?:ROTFL: