The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma Photo Pro lens support

I'm thinking about jumping into the Sigma camp, but am having trouble with info gathering...

From what I can garner from other forums, SPP has built-in lens profiles. What I can't definitively find out is what they're for and what is supported.

I've read that the profiles are used for CA correction, but don't apply any distortion correction.

I'd like to know if the CA correction is done per-lens, or if it's just a generic correction based on focal length?

If there are separate lens profiles (which I would hope!), which lenses are supported? I can't find anything which tells me.

Can someone here please answer any of this? :confused:

I found that there is a 'lens data update' option in the menu (I hadn't seen it at first as it doesn't appear in both windows) for adding new lens profiles from Sigma, so it looks as though it's not generic.

I've also since found an email address for Sigma (which wasn't on the UK site) so I'll try asking them which lenses they have profiles for.

For everybody's info, this is the response that came back from Sigma Japan:

In short, unfortunately we do not have such a list.

As you mentioned, current line up lenses have lens profiles recognised by SPP without problem, however some of the lenses that have been produced for a long time, or lenses that are discontinued do not have lens profiles.
You can check this by attaching the lens to a DSLR and see if the AF adjustment function is active or not.
If it is not active, it means that the ID cannot be recognised by SPP either.