The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DPx sharpening?

I'm coming from a Ricoh GR and Oly EM5. I am used to adding sharpening.

My first impression with my DP2 is that any addition is too much.

Is that the feeling of those with more experience of the DPx range?

Tony

I'll assume you're talking about the Merrill version of this camera (as I don't have experience with its predecessor), and the simple answer is YES. The more complicated/complete answer is that, compared with the files from other cameras I have used, these files require much less or even no sharpening, especially I think with smaller prints. Some users actually reduce the in-camera sharpening to a negative number, so they can apply some or more of their own in post. My experience is also that while some files would appear to suffer with any sharpening in post, there are other files from the same camera that benefit from it. So, just keep your eyeballs peeled and do what looks right to you. I should add that I am put off by sharpening that rings a "digital" bell for the viewer, so probably sharpen less than some others might. --Barbara

Malina DZ

No extra sharpening is needed for DP2M files. I always keep it at 0. Some people decrease sharpening slightly. The level of detail in DPM RAW files is astounding by default.

Thanks,

I'd only work with RAW anyway. It is interesting that people with these cameras, mine is a Merrill, bother with the in camera settings - but everyone to their own way of working.

I exported using SPP with zero everywhere and then added a bit of sharpening with Qimage Ultimate before printing an A3+.

Looking at it afresh this morning it is a tad too sharpened so I'll run it again without the sharpening. It's the digital bell I guess!

Lots to learn.

Tony