The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP quattro

darr

Tim,
Thanks for posting these info updates. I enjoy the Merrill cameras, and I am looking forward to the Quattro.

Kind regards,
Darr

phips243

If the DP2Q really will be available in June, I find it eighter weird there is not a single sample image to be found...

Hard to find the exact words as to how great it would be to have an EVF....:)
Not too crazy about the looks of the Quattro body design though, maybe the EVF would be backwards compatible and work on the DP1,2,3 Merrill or might that too much to hope for!
Robert

G43

@ Malina

Thanks for the link which is a kind of first hand information from the manufacturers hand. Though more thoroughly full than what I have previously seen.

As many others I guess, I find it a bit odd that so little proof = real actual pixel sized sample files, has been given to potential buyers at a moment where Sigma dealers happily accepts pre-orders!

E.g. Sigma promised a good FF 50 mm lens time before the launch of their new 50mm ART lens and when it suddenly showed up it wiped the floor for the bucks claimed. May this also happen in the case of the new Q Merrils? We obviously all have to wait and see.

Arhhh.. I am not that fond of Sigmas grilling the interested and potential customer to an extent that he/she are urged to forgetting the camera that is actually in use while this mild torture takes place. Actually I'm not fond at all of marketing driven companies as they try to draw your focus to what actually didn't happen yet pretending being pure reality. But name one brand except maybe Leica whose mouths are shot until after the Overture day.
Promotions sustained by power points are not that convincing after all.

C'mon Sigma give us some real images to look at.

Meanwhile I'll enjoy my MFT photography in full and the new DPs are not going to be replacement cameras for it at all, but a very welcomed bid on in the pocket MF performance.

foveon

I am impressed by the MTF curves from my DP2m lens,
but IMO DP2q isnt working, sale will start this month but no examples were given to some photographers or reviewers or bloggers

G43

Yeah, it is a bit smelly that not even one little spy image is to find and the first Quattro camera is told to be available in a couple of weeks. Leica style marketing? However the DPMQ's will will see the daylight sooner or later.

I've asked my local leather tailor if he could sew a stomach belt case for the new camera design. Of course he would and could. Just want to look like John Wayne with three pistols around my hip, ready to shoot any caliber.

The Ute

It's appears that those of you smelled a rat were correct.

It looks as though the DP2Q is going to be delayed.

You can read about it at sigma-rumors.com

G43

This eventual delay is welcomed should it prevent buyers having a bad experience with their newly purchased wonder cam.
Sometimes the waiting time is even more exciting then after the release, which I do not hope will be the case for the Quattros.

Meanwhile better to produce some outstanding images.

foveon

..Meanwhile better to produce some outstanding images.
And who knows how outstanding images from a quattro will be.
I sometimes look at images from the 4.5 mp DP2 and they are outstanding, the DP2m offers very rich details but lacks that unique look, it cannot capture light moods like the old did.
I really think about buying an old DP2 again.

G43

We can't know how technically outstanding the Quattros will be. I was rather thinking of making outstanding images regardless the camera in use ;-)

Now you mention your experience with the older DP, I often grab my older Fuji X100 since the tonality palette this camera musters ranges extremely high. It rocks if I may say.

Let's hope the Quattros new tech sensor with it's extra stop addition, the lenses, the engine and the developer SW also rocks the day they appear.

The Ute

I am not really all that interested in the DP2Q.

Would be hard to improve upon the DP2M.

My real interest in in an improved version of the DP1M.

The Lens is supposed to be improved in the DP1Q version.

G43

I think it was hard to improve on the DP2M. If Sigma didn't the whole launch seems a joke.
The improvement if any, would come from the new sensor + some engine stuff.
All three cameras should by all means be improved. Otherwise...?

True many awaits the DP1Q. I am one of them.

The Ute

I think it was hard to improve on the DP2M. If Sigma didn't the whole launch seems a joke.
The improvement if any, would come from the new sensor + some engine stuff.
All three cameras should by all means be improved. Otherwise...?

True many awaits the DP1Q. I am one of them.
I wait to be convinced that they can improve upon the image quality of the DP2M.

What I think they have done is improved some of the functionality.

I doubt very much they will have improved the overall resolution.

The DP2M was sharp corner to corner.

Perhaps some of the noise and color artifacts will be removed.

I am after the DP1Q anyway so it does not matter to me.