The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP quattro

The Ute

True, but the lens clearly out resolves current Foveon X3 sensor. There's room for improvement with a higher MP sensor.
View attachment 81136

What I'll miss in Quattro series is a faster lenses...
How you gonna' higher resolution w a lower MP sensor combo ?

We shall see.

I'd expect lower noise and fewer color artifacts but not higher resolution.

I'll need to be convinced that the new design wins on that score.

G43

If we can rely on the story told that no one would notice any difference on a very large hi-rez print between a DP2Q and a Pentax 645Z, I rest my case questioning the quality of the new DPQ series.
The present DP series delivers quality in spades given the skilled patient user. No one says we are forced to buy the latest generation just because it's there.
I never owned any DP Merrill, so for me it's an experiment.

The Ute

If we can rely on the story told that no one would notice any difference on a very large hi-rez print between a DP2Q and a Pentax 645Z, I rest my case questioning the quality of the new DPQ series.
The present DP series delivers quality in spades given the skilled patient user. No one says we are forced to buy the latest generation just because it's there.
I never owned any DP Merrill, so for me it's an experiment.
Well, having owned several, I can tell you the results are extraordinary.

Especially those from the DP2M.

The Ute

5,424×3,616 is higher than 4704x3136, don't you agree?
I just don't see how they are going to get more resolution out of 29MP or so versus 45MP.

In the Merrills all 3 layer are used for resolution.

I'm not buying it until I see the images.

Anyway, I'm mainly after the DP1Q because of the improved lens.

G43

@Ute

You are right about the IQ of the existing DP. Flickr among others is a living proof of the performance.
Hicks and quirks aside it takes though a MF tripod 'slow down' mind set to get the best out of it as far as I can learn. (Well, that counts for most hi-rez cameras indeed. The higher pixel count the more prone to hand- or shutter shake it is).

Diglloyd has BTW a very thorough deep digging series on his site. And then there's his famous tulip flower mega print which is just to admire. Incredible.

Thinking of the new DPQ series it is a shame Sigma did not include an IBIS system. I would have paid almost whatever for it. Uhhh.. not time throwing ones tripod out yet.

The Ute

@Ute

You are right about the IQ of the existing DP. Flickr among others is a living proof of the performance.
Hicks and quirks aside it takes though a MF tripod 'slow down' mind set to get the best out of it as far as I can learn. (Well, that counts for most hi-rez cameras indeed. The higher pixel count the more prone to hand- or shutter shake it is).

Diglloyd has BTW a very thorough deep digging series on his site. And then there's his famous tulip flower mega print which is just to admire. Incredible.

Thinking of the new DPQ series it is a shame Sigma did not include an IBIS system. I would have paid almost whatever for it. Uhhh.. not time throwing ones tripod out yet.
And an EVF option.

The New SD1 might be the camera to wait for ?

Maybe a mirror less w interchangeable lenses.

:)

The Ute

The latest from sigma rumors.

"An announcement from Sigma − initially scheduled for the second half of May − is expected in the coming days, with presumably more info on the availability (and perhaps the price) of the dp2 Quattro.

The camera will also be introduced to the public in some selected stores early in July. Therefore, it looks like there is no major delay, suggesting that the issue was probably just a bug in the firmware."

Collin Orthner

Not to put a damper on things, but I just received this from our distributor here in Canada:

"...there has been a delay and the camera should be ready in late July early August, I hope."

G43

Well well... I guess Sigma decides when they want a turnover from the DPQ account.
I am ready when they are.

Repeating: Meanwhile make some outstanding images.

I apologize for digressing but alongside the Merrills I would love to see an updated DP2. Something with the DP2 sensor (not Merrill sensor) in a body the size of the Pana GM1. The IQ of the original DP was lost in the Merrills IMO and I'd love to see it back but in an improved body. A DP2 in a GR would be nice!
Hi,
Are there any long time Sigma users here that share this sentiment that something was lost in the changed to the Merrill?

Just wondering.

Thanks,
Robert