The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Swap DP2M for DP3M

eke2k6

Hi all!

I find myself shooting a lot more portraits, so I find myself wanting a longer focal length.

Is there anyone who finds his DP3M to be too restrictive?

eke2k6

Mostly handheld in available light. I like how the DP3 isolates the subject, but I fear it won't be practical outdoors.

Malina DZ

You know the iso range limits for color accuracy, don't you?
With DP3M I wouldn't risk shooting portraits at speeds lower than 1/100 sec.
If you think of shooting in bright days remember that shutter speed is maxed out @ 1/1250 for f/2.8. Native iso for Merrills is 200.
I don't wish to discourage you from shooting portraits with DP3M but it's going to be quite a challenging task.

eke2k6

Yeah, I do. It's just the focal length of the DP3 is intriguing to me.

I like my DP2 though. I'll wait and see if I can adjust my shooting more.

johnnygoesdigital

The DP3 makes an outstanding portrait camera - rivaling medium format digital image quality. You can always use ND filters and/or flash. The DP3 Merrill will sync @1/2000th @f/5.6.

Abe_doubleU

Do you shoot portraits handheld in available light or in a studio?
Hello,

I have the same Question, I used my DP3 for landscape etc. now I am being asked to do portraiture, which I would love to use it for the image quality and large files so I can print big, and I have seen some samples here and around the web.

I'll be using it in studio with controlled lighting mainly with a tripod, the style I'll be shooting is adults, corporate/executive style, not fashion or running kids. I already know the restrictions of this camera, slow processing, restricted ISO.

What type of lighting can I use? Can I use continuous lighting like fluorescent or LED, how much power do I need so I can stay with low ISO/Shutter before the image starts to break down and defeats the purpose of using this camera.

I am especially interested in the new LED lighting kits from this company fiilix its LED with the compactness of mono lights. or from Westcott The SkyLux LED - Dimmable Daylight LED for Motion and Still Capture

Your help, and anyone who has the experience to use this camera for portraiture would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you all.

Hulyss Bowman

The DP3m is a tad bit short for portraits (it still deform a bit) but it is the most capable of all foveon based camera for this discipline.

Sorry for the late answer, I have hard time tracking all over the web.

For lightnings, the best is flash. The more your flash and diffuser are good the more you end result will be awesome. I personally use Broncolor Para but you might find cheaper with Elinchrom.

The Foveon respond very well to led, better than the Leica S2 or D800. I do not know why. With foveon all is smooth and with Bayer you get posterisation.

So either you have huge led setup, or Mandarine, or you can simply run under flash (less money on the electricity bill ;) )