The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Quattro samples have been posted

G43

It was maybe a mistake? Read somewhere it is usable for DPQ too. But it could be wrongly quoted.

RitterRunkel

I even saw it is usable with older Non-Merrill-DPs. But honestly, I pretty much doubt the quality is good. May help in sunlight though.

Would be interesting to send live view to a tablet PC ... wouldn't be great as well, but since it's quite a lot bigger, focussing and judging in fix setups at home might be more pleasant.

G43

Sure you would see the live view spread on a larger surface, should that keep luminance and contrast high.
Brings me back to encourage Sigma to develop a hi-rez EVF. Should be every man's need for a mirrorless compact camera.
It is annoying to see the scene and be unable to frame and record it correctly.

foveon

...Brings me back to encourage Sigma to develop a hi-rez EVF. Should be every man's need for a mirrorless compact camera.
It is annoying to see the scene and be unable to frame and record it correctly.
DPs have a display on the backside but it doesnt give you working live view, this is a point to fix.

G43

No live view?
Are you saying the camera out of box is unable to shoot an image without the OVF which is optional?

RitterRunkel

I think you two disagree what live view is. One wants live view without any delay and flaws, even with augmented helps, the other one in a way just wants to see most of the image he would have seen through a viewfinder. ;)

I agree it's not excellent live view, but I think it is. And the aperture should be displayed, as well as shutter time and some other things ...

foveon

...I agree it's not excellent live view, but I think it is. And the aperture should be displayed, as well as shutter time and some other things ...
it displays time and aperture as numbers, but it doesnt reflect settings in the displayed image, going from say f4 to f8 doesnt make the image darker etc, this is not live view.
My first digital compact was a Minolta F200 back in 2003 or so, and from this time all compacts offered real live view, just Sigma is to stupid to archive this.

RitterRunkel

Oh, this is what you meant, okay. Yes, aperture value does not influence live view. Indeed you'll have to improvise, e.g. look at the exposure correction and estimate/judge ... luckily to me it's not a big issue. I wouldn't trust the image anyway and most often I'm fine with little corrections up or down. But yes, they could improve ... and to some people doing high or low key ... At least for not moving subjects one can do test shots, look at histograms, and so on.

G43

I can easily live with the kind of Live View the DPQ supports. However the 'extended' full Live View would have been nice.
My Fuji X100 neither sports true Live View whereas my EM1 does.

G43

I blown away with the IQ. Nothing to complain about.
Think the review deserves it's own topic.

:)

RitterRunkel

DC Watch review is indeed the best so far. Yet there are things to complain about, line noise (look at the flower shot, JPEG version!), color loss in shadows still present as known from the Merrill, some color spots. But at least the RAW output seems quite good most often: less jaggies, less noise and more natural than the JPEGs.

I agree as it looks one could do great things with the quattro. =)

G43

Perhaps OOC JPEGs are fine for a lot of people, but not for me ;-)

There's no doubt incredible prints can be made out of these files. Imperfections as you mention is not a big issue for prints. And to a certain extend flaws can be corrected by proper PP.

G43

DC Watch review is indeed the best so far. Yet there are things to complain about, line noise (look at the flower shot, JPEG version!), color loss in shadows still present as known from the Merrill, some color spots. But at least the RAW output seems quite good most often: less jaggies, less noise and more natural than the JPEGs.

I agree as it looks one could do great things with the quattro. =)
Ahh yes I see the poor OOC JPEG. I didn't even open those images to have a look. In camera engines are normally no blessing.