The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Quattro samples have been posted

Tim

Re: Sigma DP Quattro samples have been posted

Interesting, the EXIF from the samples shows they were taken on 31st March.
Shows DP2 Quattro of course.
The output program is Photoshop CS5.

RitterRunkel

Yep, a RAW out of a more recent production Quattro would be nice. Nature, no studio with f/13. I think these samples are too old and were made for presentation-PDFs (as stated and once leaked in the xitek-forums) ... not for a showcase.

Even if they turned off noise reduction, the red/green-blotches are no less present than in Merrill samples ...

The Ute

I would have expected the color rendition to be worse rather than better because less data is being used to reconstruct it.

There is more than just pure resolution to creating a special sort of image quality.

It takes terrific micro-contrast and excellent color rendition.

The whole being greater than just the sum of it's parts.

I expect the new DPQ1 to be better than it's predecessor but mainly because of the new and improved lens.

waiting for more images in RAW format.

;)

adsf

Red/Green blotches -> No quattro for me.
The red/green thing was the main problem for me with my dp2 Merrill. Now there is absolutely no reason to upgrade. (only thing to consider is a dp1 q, if the lens is better)

Quentin_Bargate

Looks promising, but the subject matter is too weird to reach any conclusions. And if shot in March, must be early firmware.

G43

This is of course a 'nice to have' thing. An auto variable gradient preset for inboard JPEG processing.

I do not know about others and how they will shoot this camera. To me the obvious thing is to shoot RAW.
None of all the cameras I've owned through the digital ages had any satisfying RAW to JPEG conversion inside.

I'm a regular 43 shooter and have always dreamed to own a somewhat compact quality pixel hi-rez camera for art work and large prints. I've been close to purchase the RX1R even knowing that this camera would limit my photography to 35 mm only. That kept me reluctant to jump upwards for the purpose of image quality gain.
The new Pentax 645Z would indeed cover my needs for hi-rez, but let me down on its bulk realities. It's a no go.

The DPQ's might fulfill my dreams. I sincerely hope they do.

G43

It seems I did not read the article well....?
It seems to be a facility related to the RAW PP only?

G43

Wonder who will be the first to do an in depth review?

I'd never expect the DPQ's would be like an E-M1 i.e. That would likely be too much to ask from the maker.
A little less would also do ;-)
There are actually only two or three things about this camera I would demand.

- Precise auto focus w. focus peaking
- Better files vs. the old models
- Better UI for both the camera and the processing SW

I now already there are numerous features I don't get and this new generation is all about IQ.

G43

I heard from several that the upgrade of the DP1 is the most appreciated.
But I hope certainly it regards the whole DPQ family.

At this moment no one of us is able to elaborate much more. It will have to wait until we have the DP2Q in hand.

The commercial review sites will likely be the first ones to pass on their impressions, but let the first actual pixel level sample images talk their language, then there's much more to discuss.

I am sure that Diglloyd will test the cameras thoroughly and show their worth. They have a soft spot for the existing DP's already.

G43

I stumbled over the shutter speed given. 1/2000 - 30 sec.
I understand this spec is at tad unspecified in detail for the DPQs'. I assume it will be more or less be the same shutter speed gradation as the present DP's shows?

How did you DP owners come around freezing a moving object in harsh daylight maintaining the wished DOF?
How did you come around achieving full DOF control and eventual isolating an object by blurring the background for still photos in harsh daylight?

Have you overcome this issue just by clamping on a ND filter?

It seems Sigma does not have a built in ND filter?

I am not a big fan of filters since they all degrade IQ one way or another. I am neither fond of fumbling with filters. It slows you down the wrong way.