The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SPP RAW developer

G43

I will enter the Foveon world early July where I will receive my new DP2Q. I am no skilled DP rat and have no experience working with the type of camera.
I assume nobody until now knows what improvements we would find in the new SSP RAW developer.
I have browsed a bit through the WEB to find what could/would be the prefered workflow for the couple of RAW developers that handles the files and some skilled DP photographers have described theirs.
(I am using ACR/Photoshop for my work)

I.e. Sigma DP2m workflow

I would like in due time to become somehow acquainted to the hurdles the late RAW developers might show and I would be very happy :) if any of you DP users would know where to dig more information. I might find help even on this forum, but I am new here and still chewing myself through a lot of posts.

RitterRunkel

Well, I'm still using PS sometimes (as long as GIMP 2.10 is not stable). But it really is finishing only; removing dots, cutting, etc. - most times little corrections only. Few times it's a combination of images due to dynamic range increase. But all methods are not related to Foveon images, no special treatment but the same postprocessing as for every image.

Most often PS is not even necessary. SPP is fine, and I do postprocessing (decreasing size to thumbs, web view, big view, etc.) with ImageMagick on command line ... I guess the key is rather SPP than PS ...

Paul H

I tend to do the basic, global adjustments (like getting the colour balance almost right, and bit of X3 fill if necessary) in SPP, but then do most of the rest in Aperture (with linked folders).

So, copy RAW files from SD card to folder, open SPP, process images and save TIFFs to another folder. In Aperture, I import the files (in current location) into the appropriate Project & Folder, then do the adjustments in Aperture. The edited versions (with crops, touch-ups, straightening, etc) get exported at the appropriate size to an export folder.

S

Shelby Lewis

I basically fix WB and make minor exposure/highlight corrections in SPP... and turn SPP sharpening all the way down. TIFFs to Lightroom from that point forward.

G43

@ Paul H & Shelby Lewis

Thank indeed.

That fits very well the PP workflow I have today.

ACR: Evt. cropping. WB. Evt. B&W conversion. Global adjustments. Gradients. Vignetting issues.
Photoshop: Distortion. Curves. Color adjustments. Dodge and burn. Saturation/desaturation. Final sharpening.

I am not sure to what extend SPP reminds on ACR, but I will soon know of course. The conversion to TIFF after global adjustments in SPP seems to be the gateway to finish in Photoshop.

Until I attended Ming Thein's schooling I was a very happy Lightroom user. What I missed in Lightroom was the sequential workflow the PS offers. Lightroom works cummulative.
But either way to outstanding pictures. Both PP programs can lead to a good end result :)

Thanks again. I feel more comfortable now.