The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First real review of the DPQ2

Quentin_Bargate

I seriously doubt the Quattro will offers resolution better than the comparable Merrill.

I await the empirical tests.

As we all should.
It should offer a big leap in resolution. That is Sigma's claim and the full rez samples appear to support it.

The Ute

It should offer a big leap in resolution. That is Sigma's claim and the full rez samples appear to support it.
Like I said I'll wait for unbiased empirical testing.

I have used the DP2 Merrill for a quite a while now and I think it will be very difficult if not impossible to improve on it's resolution or the quality of it's files.

They are absolutely eye-popping.

But we'll see.

I hope people do not get caught up in the hype.

Especially when they will be paying almost double for a Quattro.

G43

Different in a better way or a worse way ?

Just being different means little.

Those flicker shots were of such mundane subjects it is very hard to tell much at all.

And the real test will be when someone does a head to head test between the
comparable Merrill and the Quattro.

And also when the Quattro is compared to an A7r or D800e.

Most of the rest of it is minor improvements hardly worth double the price.
I agree the Flickr images varies in quality.

Diglloyd is in full swing providing us with all the answers and comparos we could ever dream of.

The point is maybe not to see how the DPQ is performing against ILC mirrorless systems or DSLRs if such cameras are not on your wish list. The DPQs and for that sake DPMs are fixed lens cameras and have their own appeal due to their performance vs. size.

It can be debated whether an upgrade is worth measured in money. That's pretty subjective. Upgrading say one's camera body isn't always a question if it's economically feasible. Not to me at least. There might be other reasons than IQ.

Quentin_Bargate

I too am a huge fan of the Merrills as most here know. I used a DP2m and DP1m almost exclusively in Morocco for shots that led to my successful ARPS submission, which is why I am so hopeful of the performance of the new Quattro's. I am not much of a fan of empirical testing; the only tester that matters for my purposes is me :)

G43

So Diglloyds first comparison between the DPQ and DPM is out. Serious stuff.

That shows clearly so to speak everything is better with the DPQ.

- Vastly improved colors
- Higher resolution
- Lower noise
- One stop more
- Better DR

.... but there's a maybe sour apple to swallow for some, since the files looks more like what we get from a Beyer sensor. I do not mind at all, but I am sure some does.

What annoys me already too much is Lloyd found the SPP6 almost useless and it sucks terribly.

I do not see this camera mature until the SPP6 or any other developer SW can handle the edition of RAW files and the colors. This is an offence by Sigma and pretty amateurish that they could not wait to blabber about the DPQ until it actually was developed to the end. IMO they show little respect to their customers in this case.

foveon

Untill now Foveon sensors worked without interpolation, now they start "bayerrization".
IMO this is the reason why we old foveon- guys are a little suspicious^^

G43

@Foveon

Suspicious old Foveon owners should be. From the Diglloyd's first comparison it also clear that the DPM out resolves the DPQ talking details.
It is not quite clear if Lloyd really appreciate the Beyerfication of the look and I agree it causes a few wrinkles on my forehead too. He has doubts whether the 'smearing' is due to in camera noise reduction or it's SPP6 related?

Anyways it is clear the colors of DPQ is superior and likewise the grit we acknowledge in the DPM shadows is gone with the DPQ.

At present it is too early to conclude but Diglloyd's findings doesn't lye. I feel though pretty sure that DPM owners will be a bit disappointed with the DPQ inferiority to dig out the smashing details the DPM is capable of.

That leads me to the next thought that the DPQ certainly should appeal to owners of bulky hi-rez gear, loves his Bayer sensor and wish to down size his whole kit.

The Ute

If Sigma has lost some of it's Foveon look and created more of a Bayer look they have
not done us any favors.

That Foveon 3-d like look is one of the things that was highly prized about these cameras.

They should be looking to increase it rather than diminish it.

I think the only one of these I'll be after might be the DPQ1 because of the improved lens.

The Ute

Funny, I see the M as clear winner in detail, especially seen in the trees,
the Q image just looks sharper, maybee other focussing, maybee in-camera-jpeg-settings
Micro contrast and detail are strong suits of the Merrill.

They are a big part of what gives it the 3-d look so many people prize.

Sacrficing that for greater color accuracy and slightly better functionality does not seem like a winner to me.

But I wait to be convinced.

Color accuracy is easily controlled in PP.

Quentin_Bargate

Raw and jpg download:
SIGMA dp2 Quattro:
I have downloaded SPP 6 and tried a couple of the Quattro raw files. The software is poor - keeps throwing errors and asking me to reboot. No change there, then...

When I succeeded in decoding the files, they look good and seem to upscale well. They retain about 40% of the look of a Merrill file. Not convinced at the moment that the highlight recovery is a good, but it is difficult to tell with someone else's shots. For those wedded to the appearance of a DP2M file, I fear you may be a little disappointed the new files are not more Merrill-like. Need more shots of different subject matter.

octagone

Rendering dp2q estbeaucoup softer than merrill. Micro details are alot less contrast and less pronounced.
But dp2Q renders a level of detail that much higher Merrill.
I think the colors are rendered better, and it has a very beua made ​​very sweet, sa remark on some pictures, especially this one.

https://flic.kr/p/o8moE6