The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First real review of the DPQ2

The Ute

Since there was no obligation I am getting one of the try-before-you-buy DP2 Quattro's

Mine should be here within a week.

I have a week to put it thru it's paces and return it w/o obligation.

I plan on posting photos to the Sigma site.

I'm pretty excited to have a chance to test it out against my DP2 Merrill.

:)

scho

I have downloaded and worked a little with SPP 6.01 and have so far not experienced any of the crashes and bad behavior others are experiencing. I'm using a 2012 MBA with OS 10.9.3. I have processed both older x3f files from my dp2m and dp3m, as well as a few sample raws from the dp2Q. Other than the usual slowness, there were no crashes and the files were processed and saved w/o errors as 16 bit tiffs. Color is excellent in the new dp2Q files, but as others have noted no significant gains in detail or micro contrast that I could see.

G43

Looking at the latest images on Lloyds site shows me there's hardly anything left from the M series type of IQ.
But what there is, is a MF C-MOS camera like performance. That's objectively hard to criticize.
I feel the DPQ series is going to be a love and hate relationship like it was the case with the M's.

The Ute

Looking at the latest images on Lloyds site shows me there's hardly anything left from the M series type of IQ.
But what there is, is a MF C-MOS camera like performance. That's objectively hard to criticize.
I feel the DPQ series is going to be a love and hate relationship like it was the case with the M's.
I don't think their was much hate w the Merrill, mostly love, as long as you knew it's limitations.

The image quality was spectacular.

I am getting one of those test Q's and I plan on making some real world comparisons.

I'm looking forward to it.

It's only a guess but I'm thinking the Q is the one that might come up short.

Guess I'll find out.

tray271

the thing that made me go the foveon route was the micro contrast..it is clear the q hasn't got the same quality ...its a fact from the samples I have looked at..im keeping my merrills until something outstanding comes out...and sigma for goodness sake get a good coder to do a version of sigma pro that doenst crash and is stable ..please....Merrill vs q ..for pure micro contrast and detail ....winner Merrill ...the q should have had that look instead it looks like poor quality bayer sensors.

ggibson

I'm getting one of the test DP2Q's as well, and I'm looking forward to playing around with it a bit. I'll have a chance to compare it to my Sony A7.

G43

Mine is shipped in a week from now.

It is not really Beyerish looking images but just that it lacks the *smack* the Merrills shows.
When I compare to Lloyds doll scenes which is the same for all tested cameras, the level of resolution is at least on D800E level if not higher. But what is important is the noise is very very low and analog and not at all Bayerish like.
This is of course very welcome, but I too would have loved a bit more *smack* :)

Second. I would not be too concerned about eventual lesser detail OOC. There's plenty of information embedded in those files to develop micro contrast in PP.

The Ute

I'm getting one of the test DP2Q's as well, and I'm looking forward to playing around with it a bit. I'll have a chance to compare it to my Sony A7.
Unless you are talking an A7r it is not even going to be close.

;)

Hi,
I'm happy for all the folks who are or will be happy with the Quattro. I do think Sigma should have improved the Merrills instead of having to make a splash with something new and exciting.
Add a battery pack under the Merrill much like the old motor winders or the packs on more modern cameras. Add a EVF. It would have been great improvements of better battery life and actually being able to see what you're making a picture of without reinventing the wheel.
IMHO.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Robert

G43

From Diglloyds comparison against Canon 5DMKIII I must admit I like the Canon performance better.
DPQ2 shows flawy colors even compensation between the two cameras has been made professionally as allways with DL.
There is kind of a layer of fine white dust over the DPQ2 files.
There's a tad more resolution in the DPQ2 images, but the Canon looks sharper.

I am afraid I'll have a fast sell when the camera arrives.

Simply disappointing.

The Ute

From Diglloyds comparison against Canon 5DMKIII I must admit I like the Canon performance better.
DPQ2 shows flawy colors even compensation between the two cameras has been made professionally as allways with DL.
There is kind of a layer of fine white dust over the DPQ2 files.
There's a tad more resolution in the DPQ2 images, but the Canon looks sharper.

I am afraid I'll have a fast sell when the camera arrives.

Simply disappointing.

Hey, I'll give you $500 for it sight unseen, or I'll trade you my DP2 Merrill for it even up.

:)

G43

Thanks Ute...

I think I'll get along with 10% under street price as new. That will keep me without any losses.

I already told my dealer to re-sell it over the desk.

Pity Sigma didn't make it up for me this time.

PS! I love the files from the Merrills, but I will not come along with it's quirky behaviour.

G43

Ditching the DPQ's even before they harboured in my hands make me pick up a different approach to high resolution. Pentax 645Z.
No gunning from the pistol belt here.

The Ute

Thanks Ute...

I think I'll get along with 10% under street price as new. That will keep me without any losses.

I already told my dealer to re-sell it over the desk.

Pity Sigma didn't make it up for me this time.

PS! I love the files from the Merrills, but I will not come along with it's quirky behaviour.
IMO it isn't all that quirky.

But that is your call.

I wouldn't want to lug around a MF rig when I can use a Merrill for landscape
and still life subjects.

Good luck in your search.

Maybe the new SD1 will be to your liking.

Watch out for it later in the year.

G43

Ute... I can't see why the DP1Q should not suffer from the same artifacts.

Anyways lugging around with a tripod makes the bulk difference lesser important. I will try out the 645Z once visiting Denmark... September it would be.

But you are maybe right that a couple of DPMs wouldn't hurt for the fun. They come extremely cheap at the moment.

The Ute

Ute... I can't see why the DP1Q should not suffer from the same artifacts.

Anyways lugging around with a tripod makes the bulk difference lesser important. I will try out the 645Z once visiting Denmark... September it would be.

But you are maybe right that a couple of DPMs wouldn't hurt for the fun. They come extremely cheap at the moment.
The DPQ1 has been given a new lens.

I am waiting to see how that affects image quality.

As far as artifacts go they are easily dealt w in PP.

And yes, the DP Merrill's are a screaming bargain.

Dryce

Anyways lugging around with a tripod makes the bulk difference lesser important.
Depends on the tripod!

I quite often find myself carrying a small CF tripod along with small shoulder bag that holds the two DPMs plus some accessories - as opposed to a full bag with a DSLR, lenses, and large tripod.

It's quite liberating to go 'lite'.