The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First real review of the DPQ2

The Ute

You have to ask yourself if this camera constitutes a leap forward significant enough to justify paying about twice the price.

So far I am not seeing it.

And the ergonomics seem like a step backwards.

That said, I will be testing out the Q on my own in the near future.

It is exactly that question I will seek to answer.

A head to head comparison w the Merrill.

May the best camera win.

:)

Kofronj

I'm interested, Ute, in what part of the camera ergonomics do you think the Q has moved backwards? There are two command wheels (instead of the one on the Merrill), the camera design is 'better' to hold, the menus are improved, battery life is double, and the file saving time has been cut in half. Sigma seems to have addressed the majority of issues that folks were complaining about. The only issue that I could see is that it is a larger camera---it's probably not something that you'll throw in a jacket pocket.

SPP ergonomics---that's another issue... :)

The Quattro is also exactly the same price as a Merrill when they were first released.

Now---if I was buying one or the other, the Merrills are a screaming good deal now. I think I'd pick up a DP2M or DP3M over the Q version, in all likelihood. I'd probably pick up a DP1Q instead of the DP1M, assuming that there are some substantial improvements in the lenses. But if the Q's dropped to $800-850?

I'll be interested to see your head-to-head, although I'm always very skeptical of these (done by anyone) where they compare a camera they've been using for a year or two with one they've just received. It takes some time (typically) to learn to get the best out of your camera. In a week you'll be able to figure out what you love and what drives you nuts...

Have fun!

Jim

The Ute

I'm interested, Ute, in what part of the camera ergonomics do you think the Q has moved backwards? There are two command wheels (instead of the one on the Merrill), the camera design is 'better' to hold, the menus are improved, battery life is double, and the file saving time has been cut in half. Sigma seems to have addressed the majority of issues that folks were complaining about. The only issue that I could see is that it is a larger camera---it's probably not something that you'll throw in a jacket pocket.

SPP ergonomics---that's another issue... :)

The Quattro is also exactly the same price as a Merrill when they were first released.

Now---if I was buying one or the other, the Merrills are a screaming good deal now. I think I'd pick up a DP2M or DP3M over the Q version, in all likelihood. I'd probably pick up a DP1Q instead of the DP1M, assuming that there are some substantial improvements in the lenses. But if the Q's dropped to $800-850?

I'll be interested to see your head-to-head, although I'm always very skeptical of these (done by anyone) where they compare a camera they've been using for a year or two with one they've just received. It takes some time (typically) to learn to get the best out of your camera. In a week you'll be able to figure out what you love and what drives you nuts...

Have fun!

Jim
Thanks Jim.

I surely will.

I have heard that the new Q is very akward to hold.

And of course it is quite a bit larger.

I never had any complaints w the wheel setup on the M, or with the battery.

I always carried many spare ones. They are light and cheap.

I am interested mainly in the image quality.

W what I shoot the truth should come out fairly quickly.

Both camera will be set to get their max performance.

I'll let the results do the talking.

The Ute

G43-

I will be shooting and processing my own.

I really do not care about anyone else's link if I can test for myself.

I have taken many, many images w the Merrill's over the years and I am still stunned by their quality.

Going to be a hard task for the Q to top that, or perhaps even match the look.

But I will give the Q a fair hearing nevertheless.

G43

The Q's are new creatures in town. No chance they will show the M-look.

From what I saw already I have preferences towards the M's. Taste maybe? But the Merrills builds that detail tag into your photos that seems not possible with any other sensors... sofar.

Since I started looking for a camera'n'files that would be able to print large... the M's have been a favorite for quite some time. Not perhaps its color tonal range, but rather for its pop. That catches attention by it's own self and added a good portion of the photographers ability to see, frame and compose results in stunning images.
The B&W's images out of the M's still unmatched IMO.

G43

Lloyd Chambers has finished his test of the DP2Q much faster than I would have expected. A pretty early conclusion I might say. It is also clearly why? (IMO)

Definitive Shootout: Sigma dp2 Quattro vs Sigma DP2 Merrill (Decorated Bike)

Except for the higher technical performance delivered by the DP2Q camera 'body' if one may say so, the DP2M trumps the DP2Q down. Very much down. That shows in actually almost all aspects but a few non important color issues. The conclusion is the new DP2Q is unable to show much texture in the files, show details and objectively perceived sharpness. It is not even a fact compared to the DP2M, but a fact in general.

Except you wish a technical better performing DP camera, a little less noise at basic ISO and you insists it should come from Sigma, the sensor being named Foveon, I would be able to mention a long list of far better cameras being way more convenient and showing as good or better IQ than the DP2Q.

I almost intuitively, but helped by Lloyds exploitation of good and bad in the Quattro, chose my Foveon cameras to be the Merrills. I am happy to learn I made the right choice.

The DPQ story ends here for me.

foveon

...I am happy to learn I made the right choice...
You will see soon, if you are an "etepetete" kind of photographer you will run crazy with camera and software, if you have some balcanic coolness- like me -you will love the pics and dont care about the weakness of the "system".
I shoot 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, 13x18 and 30x40, compared to these a DP2m is a very sophisticated engine.^^
And finally I dont understand that Sigma is able to produce great lenses but unable to build camera bodies in at least standard quality.

G43

I would certainly say they've lost their ability to make a true Foveon sensor.

Living on the Balkans as I do, should then assure me I'll not go nuts using the M's and PP :)

Wouu, you have quite some formats at hand there...!!!

G43

I am from Balkan Northwest
That'll be Srpska Republika? HR and SLO do not see themselves as part of the Balkans :)
I'm in middle North east Serbia.

Not that much cameras, 6x7 and 6x8 is both Mamiya RB67, with standard or motorback
Had Mamiya 7II and 2 x 645 Pentax NII and Contax. But those nice cameras are long gone. I have however still my Kaiser Multigrade enlarger w. Rodenstock 80mm APO laying around.

adsf

I hate those digilloyd links... I bet most people cant view the content. and i wont subscribe to the whole page just for one test...

G43

Geographical yes, it's The Balkans :)

I am a Dane living in Vrsac, Vojvodina. Been your place as well as all over HR. Did business with the Balkans and many other regions in Eastern/Southern Europe moreover 25 years.
Really off topic: Motor biking in SLO, BIH and HR is amazing. Can't count the images I took over so many years in this region.

Bog

foveon

I live in Jennersdorf, Austria very near the corner SLO, HU, A and as said above, here is balkan. All southeast of the Alps is Balkan.
If you drive BMW bikes maybe you will not be very happy with Sigma:D
A shot from BIH with the original DP2

G43

Really funny.. Been passing by your place in 2011 while cruising one of my bikes, Honda Goldwing, around southern part of Austria into the Dolomites in Italy. Love to cruise the small land roads. Amazing nature in that part of Europe. Billions of possibilities to catch good light.
From where in BIH is you wonderful picture?
Maybe we should Foveon BIH together one day :)