The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First real review of the DPQ2

rjp85

Is anyone with a Quattro noticing any difference at all in image quality with the new firmware and software ? Still the same?

tsjanik

I received my Quattro trial camera this morning. I had only a short time to use the camera today. All the negative and positive comments in the review from TCS ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7ktvDUyTyU )rung true. That aside, I have been comparing the files to those from a 645D using the older 55mm A lens, which has approximately the same field of view as the 30mm on the Sigma. I have done this without any previous knowledge of Sigma software. I now understand your enthusiasm expressed for the output from this system; it competes quite favorably with the 645D. The sharpness is remarkable and the colors match those of the 645D very well and those of the actual scene. I photographed my garden and so could compare the Pentax and Sigma images to the view out my window at the same time. Admittedly, I have taken only a few shots and don't know what I'm doing with Sigma software, but I'm really impressed. Based on your comments, I may have to try a Merrill.

Tom

Last edited:

darr

I received my Quattro trial camera this morning. I had only a short time to use the camera today. All the negative comments in the review rung true. That aside, I have been comparing the files to those from a 645D using the older 55mm A lens, which has approximately the same field of view as the 30mm on the Sigma. I have done this without any previous knowledge of Sigma software. I now understand your enthusiasm expressed for the output from this system; it competes quite favorably with the 645D. The sharpness is remarkable and the colors match those of the 645D very well and those of the actual scene. I photographed my garden and so could compare the Pentax and Sigma images to the view out my window at the same time. Admittedly, I have taken only a few shots and don't know what I'm doing with Sigma software, but I'm really impressed. Based on your comments, I may have to try a Merrill.

Tom
Hi Tom,
Now you see what's been keeping me away from the MF forum these days. ;) I would suggest you rent/try a Merrill before you decide to buy a DPQ. I rented all three DP Merrills from LensRental and slowly acquired them all. I also recently sprang for a SD1 Merrill for studio work and could not be happier. I still love my MF lenses and ALPA Max, but I find myself using the Sigma Merrill cameras more and more. Unfortunately, Sigma's software has been a mess from the get go, so I import the X3F files as TIFF files into Lightroom and post-process from there.

Welcome to the Foveon experience and I am sure glad your here! :)

Kind regards,
Darr

The Ute

Hi Tom,
Now you see what's been keeping me away from the MF forum these days. ;) I would suggest you rent/try a Merrill before you decide to buy a DPQ. I rented all three DP Merrills from LensRental and slowly acquired them all. I also recently sprang for a SD1 Merrill for studio work and could not be happier. I still love my MF lenses and ALPA Max, but I find myself using the Sigma Merrill cameras more and more. Unfortunately, Sigma's software has been a mess from the get go, so I import the X3F files as TIFF files into Lightroom and post-process from there.

Welcome to the Foveon experience and I am sure glad your here! :)

Kind regards,
Darr
Darr-

In this regard, I decided to try out a Fuji X-e1 after all the good things I'd heard about them.

So far the image quality doesn't even touch the Merrill.

Actually, I've found it disappointing and will likely return it.

Guess you get spoiled using a Merrill.

G43

Quattro owners and potential buyers, look or don't look behind DigLloyds paywall. You do not want to read what he concluded comparing M with Q. Newer read anything like it on his site.

foveon

...You do not want to read what he concluded comparing M with Q....
I`m not a member of this site, but curious, so can you give a short conclusio please.
IMO the m shows much more detail, and this you cannot get from postproduction, you can improve micro contrast etc, but details are here or not.

G43

....The dp2 Quattro lacks all the positive attributes of the DP2 Merrill and acquires many of the negative aspects of a Bayer matrix camera all with awful overall color.

....at this writing your author has no choice but to reject it as being not ready for the market. No serious photographer could accept the miserable results for the dp2 Quattro seen here along with the ridiculous burden imposed by Sigma Photo Pro in obtaining those poor results.

When the detail and color smearing and overall color rendition issues, molasses-slow software, awkward bulky new ergonomics, and highly restricted focus points are added in, the dp2 Quattro is not a camera your author would have any intent to acquire......

foveon

Thanks,
interpolation is interpolation,

I hope
sigma will go back to "merrillish" chipdesigns in the future, and
the prices for the Merrills will not increase

darr

Darr-

In this regard, I decided to try out a Fuji X-e1 after all the good things I'd heard about them.

So far the image quality doesn't even touch the Merrill.

Actually, I've found it disappointing and will likely return it.

Guess you get spoiled using a Merrill.

Michael,
I rented an X-T1 after using the Merrills for a few months and walked away disappointed. I did however like its EVF, ergonomics and button setup, but the files could not compare to the X3F file quality IMO. I think we have been spoiled by the Merrills. :)

Hulyss Bowman

Guys :)

The XT-1 is a camera who need a far more long learning curve than any DP camera.

That said, there is no camera yet, at around 1k, who deliver that pixel sharpness (quattro included).

Now, the XT-1 is one of the most serious APS-C camera out there. For me, it is the most serious because, what is more important in any photography is homogeneity and color fidelity.

The XT-1 have it at almost all ISO settings (ISO less) and , at a sharpness level, can deliver some outstanding details. I have no time yet to show you example because I'm exhausted by my work but I can prove you that the XT-1 can be close to merril under some precise events.

So, spoiled by the Merrill yes... but not that much, after all :)

Quentin_Bargate

Well thank goodness I did not waste my money to read such utter tosh.

....The dp2 Quattro lacks all the positive attributes of the DP2 Merrill and acquires many of the negative aspects of a Bayer matrix camera all with awful overall color.

....at this writing your author has no choice but to reject it as being not ready for the market. No serious photographer could accept the miserable results for the dp2 Quattro seen here along with the ridiculous burden imposed by Sigma Photo Pro in obtaining those poor results.

When the detail and color smearing and overall color rendition issues, molasses-slow software, awkward bulky new ergonomics, and highly restricted focus points are added in, the dp2 Quattro is not a camera your author would have any intent to acquire......

The Ute

Guys :)

The XT-1 is a camera who need a far more long learning curve than any DP camera.

That said, there is no camera yet, at around 1k, who deliver that pixel sharpness (quattro included).

Now, the XT-1 is one of the most serious APS-C camera out there. For me, it is the most serious because, what is more important in any photography is homogeneity and color fidelity.

The XT-1 have it at almost all ISO settings (ISO less) and , at a sharpness level, can deliver some outstanding details. I have no time yet to show you example because I'm exhausted by my work but I can prove you that the XT-1 can be close to merril under some precise events.

So, spoiled by the Merrill yes... but not that much, after all :)
Nice little camera. Very versatile.

In my case, I am not satisfied w the image quality.

So I guess I am spoiled. Permanently.

;)