The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First real review of the DPQ2

The Ute

Michael,
I rented an X-T1 after using the Merrills for a few months and walked away disappointed. I did however like its EVF, ergonomics and button setup, but the files could not compare to the X3F file quality IMO. I think we have been spoiled by the Merrills. :)
I like a lot of things about the Fuji but not enough to accept inferior image quality.

Mine is going back.

I am going to use the money to buy a DP3.

raist3d

Thanks,
interpolation is interpolation,

I hope
sigma will go back to "merrillish" chipdesigns in the future, and
the prices for the Merrills will not increase
I agree but the Quattro does have a true X3 capture when shot in low res (4.9MP). To me personally that's enough for a wide range of work and most work I would be interested in.

But I suppose you could say I would prefer something like 7-8 MP true X3, with the slightly bigger sensor increase form dp2-> dp2M and any new technologies to try to make it much better color wise than Merrill. Not sure how much benefit there would be in that case.

- Ricardo

raist3d

I like a lot of things about the Fuji but not enough to accept inferior image quality.

Mine is going back.

I am going to use the money to buy a DP3.
A lot of people could say the same thing comparing the Merrill vs the Fuji. It really depends what you are shooting. The Merrill can give you an awesome raw but only at the lowest ISO in full spectrum light. The Fuji gives you color constancy (no magenta/green patches) and unmatched good color at high iso.

So it really depends what you are doing to qualify each as "inferior/superior" image quality, imho.

- Ricardo

The Ute

A lot of people could say the same thing comparing the Merrill vs the Fuji. It really depends what you are shooting. The Merrill can give you an awesome raw but only at the lowest ISO in full spectrum light. The Fuji gives you color constancy (no magenta/green patches) and unmatched good color at high iso.

So it really depends what you are doing to qualify each as "inferior/superior" image quality, imho.

- Ricardo
I shoot mostly landscape and have never minded the quirkiness of the Merrill.

The payoff is incredible image quality.

Color issues are easy to handle in PP.

You can't add resolution, and micro contrast, and detail.

I only went to the Fuji because I thought it was versatile. It is.

But the image quality is clearly inferior when compared w a Merrill IMO.

I found I am spoiled enough that I can't live without it despite the other shortcomings.

So off she goes.

Kyndel

Now we have a thorough new test - from

Welcome to ReidReviews

Sorry, but you have to pay to read his test.

His tests are really good, he really knows what he's doing, but his site is not as user friendly as he protects much - is obviously very afraid - copying from non-paying, so it's a little tricky, especially for me that is not English and who would like to have certain things translated, or extract the text something for their own use, so you do not have to sit and get "odd" eyes on the screen = you can not immediately.

But the bottom line is, from Reid, the Quattro is not as good as Merrill, but if you are on the fence, then I recommend to pay and read.

Kyndel

I shoot mostly landscape and have never minded the quirkiness of the Merrill.

The payoff is incredible image quality.

Color issues are easy to handle in PP.

You can't add resolution, and micro contrast, and detail.

"You can't add resolution, and micro contrast, and detail."

Can not agree more.

----

"Color issues are easy to handle in PP"

I have handled some, but it was more hit or miss or trial and error, do you have something here - perhaps step by step - you would share, my ears and eyes are like rabbits:angel:

Quentin_Bargate

I suppose I am in the fortunate position of being able to form my own view (and provide some evidence in support) as I own both the DP2M and DP2Q, and I can thus safely refer to my own findings, and thus discount, the views of "DigLloyd" and some other testers, while of course respecting the entirely reasonable subjective preference some have for the Merrills.

There is, without a doubt, something mind boggling about the Merrils image quality that is not present to such an extent in the Quattro files, but I think this might be misleading. The DP2 Quattro, in my view, has slightly higher resolution and better colour but inferior dynamic range (or at least, the highlights are clipped more easily). It does not jump off the screen so readily. I also quite like the odd body shape, but it is less convenient for panoramic shots.

I need to try the Quattro with the new firmware.

The Merrill is a passionate love affair; the Quattro more of an arranged marriage that works well, but it is not yet clear if that marriage will last.

By the way, I am absolutely on the same page as anyone else who argues for a new true X3 type sensor. A full frame true Foveon sensor would be as awesome as it is unlikely.

Kyndel

I suppose I am in the fortunate position of being able to form my own view (and provide some evidence in support) as I own both the DP2M and DP2Q, and I can thus safely refer to my own findings, and thus discount, the views of "DigLloyd" and some other testers, while of course respecting the entirely reasonable subjective preference some have for the Merrills.

There is, without a doubt, something mind boggling about the Merrils image quality that is not present to such an extent in the Quattro files, but I think this might be misleading. The DP2 Quattro, in my view, has slightly higher resolution and better colour but inferior dynamic range (or at least, the highlights are clipped more easily). It does not jump off the screen so readily. I also quite like the odd body shape, but it is less convenient for panoramic shots.

I need to try the Quattro with the new firmware.

The Merrill is a passionate love affair; the Quattro more of an arranged marriage that works well, but it is not yet clear if that marriage will last.

By the way, I am absolutely on the same page as anyone else who argues for a new true X3 type sensor. A full frame true Foveon sensor would be as awesome as it is unlikely.
Quentin I respect you very much, in fact you and one more put me into the Merrills, and I am very happy for this.

Thank you very much for this.

---
About Lloyd Chambers and Reid: They are not subjective, in fact they are very objective (as much as you can be in this world), they do not care what kind of camera or lens it is, and they do their testing so good, so they can earn a living from it.

There is a lot of reviews around about everything, but some testers are so good, objective and really know what they are doing, so people are willing to pay for it.

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin I respect you very much, in fact you and one more put me into the Merrills, and I am very happy for this.

Thank you very much for this.

---
About Lloyd Chambers and Reid: They are not subjective, in fact they are very objective (as much as you can be in this world), they do not care what kind of camera or lens it is, and they do their testing so good, so they can earn a living from it.

There is a lot of reviews around about everything, but some testers are so good, objective and really know what they are doing, so people are willing to pay for it.
Thanks for the kind words, but I don't regard Lloyd Chambers comments quoted earlier in this thread (I assume accurately) that "No serious photographer could accept the miserable results for the dp2 Quattro seen here.." as being objective. It may be his opinion, of course, but it is not an objective statement of fact.

Kyndel

Thanks for the kind words, but I don't regard Lloyd Chambers comments quoted earlier in this thread (I assume accurately) that "No serious photographer could accept the miserable results for the dp2 Quattro seen here.." as being objective. It may be his opinion, of course, but it is not an objective statement of fact.
Off course you are right here, but I asume it should be read in context of the whole (all) the tests he did.

My bottom line (from the Reid Test) is of course not the whole truth (but still true), you have to read the entire test, which of course is far more nuanced, but I can not copy it, and if I could, I think he would be mad at me:)

Kyndel

Quentin, I tried to find the phrase at Lloyd, but there are too many pages to read, tried first conclusion, but it was not here so it may have been a single thing at Quattro, as he was very unhappy with, but he writes, indeed, about the "good" things about it, also

My personal conclusion from Lloyd is that in the places that matter most to me, the detailed sharpness I can print huge, so it is not better than Merrill, no ...it is not as good, and then there are some places where Qattro is better, but still not on par with Bayer sensors (iso-performance) and also not newer cameras (in handling)= but you have to read it, there are - as mentioned - many pages and many things he examined.

The Ute

"You can't add resolution, and micro contrast, and detail."

Can not agree more.

----

"Color issues are easy to handle in PP"

I have handled some, but it was more hit or miss or trial and error, do you have something here - perhaps step by step - you would share, my ears and eyes are like rabbits:angel:
Same as you. Trial and error.

Quentin_Bargate

I think these cameras are going to generate strong views for and against because they are so unusual in every way. I'm still on the fence about the relative merits between the DP2M and DP2Q. I did not purchase a DP1M replacement after mine was stolen, so look forward to the DP1Q when released (when is that, by the way?).