The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First real review of the DPQ2

RitterRunkel

I pretty much like your enthusiasm! :D

Well, I'm always blown away by fine foveon pictures. I still see some flaws here, but resolution is nice and beside the flaws it seems, the quattro is still different from the competitors and worth its money.

G43

For less that 1000 bucks I think it is amazing.
I see the Foveon flaws here too, but they are easy to live with as long the the strengths are so overwhelming as they are.

We cannot compare to the DP Merrills to know the differences, so I take Sigmas word for the improvements already stated by them.

There's some green fringing at extreme contrasty situations, but I actually prefer such unavoidable optical artifacts over a magenta fringe. Green fringing simply looks more natural to magenta.

I love the Bokeh. Soft and velvety.

G43

It is incredible stimulating to learn the camera has the potential as promised.
Clearly we have not seen all of it unfolded yet. This camera in the hand of a skilled photographer mastering the PP part will produce stunning results.
Entering the Foveon world for the first time this is not a bad way to start.
If it keeps coming like that, I found my new hi-rez stills cameras in the 1-2-3.
The best part of it being so relative compact. The worse part that no IBIS is inside.
I've just undusted my tripod telling it it's on duty again :)

The Ute

Not seeing anything there that a Merrill doesn't do.

The head to head comparison will decide if there is a real gain.

G43

There might be no IQ gain for Merrill users? But there's enough secondary gains, such as faster reading, longer battery lifetime etc etc... the list is long.

foveon

I got my DP2m some days after it was in the shops, the difference to my DP2 was huge, but I dont see the need for a fast upgrade from m to q now.

darr

For those that care, Lloyd Chambers has posted: Sigma dp2 Quattro: Review Starts Tomorrow. A lot of his site is membership only. Some folks do not like the membership stuff, but for me personally I have found over the years if I want a more serious and detailed (on going) review of equipment, he is the reviewer I read and will pay for it. Just a heads-up as I love my DP Merrills and know some of you do as well. :)

Kind regards,
Darr

G43

I am a member of Lloyd Chambers and I am looking forward to a long and exhaustive test. It is serious and torturous testing.
It will fathom the SPP also for sure and they probably will also process the RAWs in Iredient.

:)

tray271

ive got all the Merrill cameras and love the micro contrast and the foveon quality...of all the samples I have seen on the net they done pop out and say to me wow...im sticking with my dp1.dp2 and dp3 ..and waiting to see what canon have got up there sleeve at photokina...all the samples off the net don't seem to have the micro contrast like the merrills...ill be passing on the dpq2

Millsart

Samples looks great, but then so the the Merrill's

For me, somewhat improved ISO performance doesn't mean much because its still not going to come close to replacing my Sony A7 or even most other APS-C so I think it would still be a tripod camera for me

Better battery life is nice too, but then again, think how many spare batteries $450 or so will have bought me and its not like they are big/heavy to carry spares

Faster writes would be nice, but then again, given I'm already working on a tripod, does it matter that much ? Not like I'm trying to motor drive a football game and need the buffer clear.

I think when the Q's drop to $699 or so I may upgrade but pretty happy with DP2m and DP3m

I may consider the Q1 though if the lens is improved as the DP1m falls short for me, even at a budget price

G43

I am in love with the files.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sigma%20dp2%20quattro

Very natural looking.
If some of the images on Flickr are representative, dnd I guess they are somewhat, then I notice a different rendering vs the DPM sensor.
Many of those files reminds me a bit of C-MOS rendering just that the noise looks far more natural to me.
Also the ultra contrast the DPMs shows seems here a tad less pronounced. This doesn't worry me at all. Contrast I'll handle using curves.
But already now I think we can say, this is a different animal than the DPM.

Anyways there's no better way to judge the IQ than processing the files yourself.

The Ute

If some of the images on Flickr are representative, dnd I guess they are somewhat, then I notice a different rendering vs the DPM sensor.
Many of those files reminds me a bit of C-MOS rendering just that the noise looks far more natural to me.
Also the ultra contrast the DPMs shows seems here a tad less pronounced. This doesn't worry me at all. Contrast I'll handle using curves.
But already now I think we can say, this is a different animal than the DPM.

Anyways there's no better way to judge the IQ than processing the files yourself.
Different in a better way or a worse way ?

Just being different means little.

Those flicker shots were of such mundane subjects it is very hard to tell much at all.

And the real test will be when someone does a head to head test between the
comparable Merrill and the Quattro.

And also when the Quattro is compared to an A7r or D800e.

Most of the rest of it is minor improvements hardly worth double the price.