The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Basic question on SPP -- getting SD card's Raw files into iMac

I really like the DP2M, except for the processing of Raw files.

I use the latest iMac.

At the moment, my workflow is this:

(i) put in the SD card into the iMac, (ii) open up SPP, (iii) open up the folder in SPP that houses ALL of my my Raw files (1000+ images), (iv) DRAG & DROP about 5 Raws at a time from the SD card into the SPP folder. Why only 5 images at a time ..... if I do many more via this drag and drop, I find it tends to freeze the iMac ....

I thought I was fairly IT literate, but apparently not.

(i) I can't seem to find any other way (apart from drag and drop) to transfer the files from the SD card into the SPP folder that houses all my Sigma Raws on my iMac. Please could someone walk me through (in basic terms) how else this can be done more efficiently?

(ii) I've had reasonable success in using SPP despite the problems I'm finding getting the Raws from the SD into the computer. But I was wondering if there is any instructions for SPP that could help me get the most out of it? -- most specifically, color correction (and getting the most accurate colors possible, especially for caucasian skin) would be very helpful?

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jon,

I use a bit different approach...works for me using a bunch of different cameras over a number of years...many MF files each greater than 100 Mb in size without this limitation.

First would check that you have a decent card reader....San Disk makes USB 2 USB 3 and Firewire readers...all very fast - doubt that your iMac can support USB 3.

On my desktop I have a folder called Landing Zone. I mass import all of my photo and some Video files ( greater than 2 Gb ) there using just the OS of the computer. Pour another cup of coffee and they are there.

I then open either ImageingesterPro3 for photo files or ShotPutPro5 for video files. Each works similarly ... they will batch files into your preferred folder and offer the option of making a batch copy to a backup folder even on another drive. Both check for file validity with the copy. I use a year-month-day subfolder system that they create in my main folder...and they can be set for multiple cameras and respective subfolders. Each seems ten times faster than the OS in copying and verifying.

So now I have files on the SD CF card, in the Landing Zone and in two separate folders on separate hard drives...all in a matter of seconds. Until I verify and work with these files the SD CF and Landing Zone files stay untouched. When I am satisfied with the imports I will then reformat the SD CF in camera and purge the Landing Zone folder at my convenience.

Sounds complicated but really is not once it is set up it runs very quickly....

This does not address archival backup and offsite backup...that happens to BluRay or one could use removable Hard drive media.

I suspect that the SPP being open is part of the crash as it continues to look for and at the incoming files...not needed at this point as the OS and other programs are much better for this.

All of my files end up in a duplicated Lightroom folder from which I can import and process with either LR Capture One Capture NX-D or Raw Photo Processor Accuraw or SPP.

Archival TIFFS are stored in a subfolder in the Raw folder and output files go where I need them.

Hope this is not too confusing...but I believe that you should check the import chain without SPP first...it is either your card reader or SPP that I suspect is slowing the import down.

Regards,

Bob

Godfrey

First would check that you have a decent card reader....San Disk makes USB 2 USB 3 and Firewire readers...all very fast - doubt that your iMac can support USB 3.
Latest iMacs have 4 USB 3 ports. ??
They also have a very fast SDXC port. I use the same SDXC port on my Mac mini - it's faster than my Sandisk USB 3 card reader.

I suspect a card incompatibility issue if you can only pull 5 images at a time from the card. Or, if SPP is up and watching the folder as you drag and drop, an SPP/file system issue.

Another way to bring in the image files from the card is to use Image Capture to manage the transfer. I had a similar issue with a Sony camera half a decade ago ... the only way I could transfer the contents off the Sony camera without issues was to hook it up, run Image Capture, and let it manage the transfer process.

Image Capture is easy:

- Plug your card into the computer
- start Image Capture
- Choose the card (camera) in the sidebar
- Use the popup menu at the bottom*of the window to tell it where to put your photos
- Import All, or Select what you want to move and Import
- Then run SPP and have it do its thing.

I just did a test: One pass import of 368 raw, JPEG and movie files from my E-M1 into a test directory on my SSD (3.7 Gbytes total) took 71 seconds, using an HP 32G Class 10 SDHC card and my Mac mini.

G

pflower

I don't think image capture will help. At least on my iMac (10.8) it doesn't recognise x3f files.

I suspect the problem is that there are simply too many files in your main folder. 1,000 plus images is going to strain SPP. I create a new folder for each import - so no folder normally contains more than about 50 - 100 x3f files. I did amalgamate some to produce a folder with about 350 images but gave up since it took SPP minutes to refresh its screen and scroll down to the image I wanted to work on.

Try just copying the files from the card to the folder whilst SPP is not open. If all the files copy then the computer and OS is fine. However I would highly recommend breaking things down into much smaller folders when using SPP.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Latest iMacs have 4 USB 3 ports. ??
They also have a very fast SDXC port. I use the same SDXC port on my Mac mini - it's faster than my Sandisk USB 3 card reader.

G
Nice to know...I have a 2010 Mac Pro Tower and all of that had to be added...

Bob

Godfrey

Nice to know...I have a 2010 Mac Pro Tower and all of that had to be added...
USB3 is a pretty recent development. USB3 on Apple systems started with the June 11, 2012, announcement of new MacBook Airs and MacBook Pro. All systems released after that date*(like my late-2012 Mac mini) include USB3 ports across the board.

G

Paul H

Here's what I do.

I have a top level folder called Sigma DP2M. Under that I have a folder called RAW, under that, I have a date folder YYYY-MM-DD. You could break it up just by month, or week number, or whatever works well for you. I copy the files off the SD card into the relevant folder(s).

Under the top level folder (Sigma DP2M), I have a folder called TIFF. Under this folder are the date folders (YYYY-MM-DD).

So: /Sigma DP2M/RAW/YYYY-MM-DD and /Sigma DP2M/TIFF/YYYY-MM-DD

Once the files are imported off the SD card (using Finder), open up SPP and browse to the RAW folder that contains the files you want to process. Make the relevant adjustments, and export the processed files (as TIFFs) into the relevant date folder under the TIFF folder.

I can then use whichever photo editing application I like. In my case it's Aperture, so I'll import the processed files as referenced files. Process to taste in your photo editing tool, then save/export/whatever.

johnnygoesdigital

My issues regarding SPP, are that it crashes when I export a Tiff. Going into your applications folder in Finder and uninstall or disable any programs that might cause a conflict might help. Instead of drag and drop, try just opening the folder using the open file option under the "File" menu at the top. I would only import one at a time though, to see if this works. This workflow may be slow, but the payoff is huge with the Foveon sensor. Think of it as a digital 4x5 camera that requires a much slower approach, and you'll be rewarded with outstanding images. This camera may seem like a point and shoot, but it's anything but that. Many top photographers choose the Foveon sensors of the DP Merrill's.