The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP Merrill accessories

Dryce

I wish to do landscapes anong others with the cameras by stitching and would appreciate if any have a suggestion for a good pano head.
I use Sunwayfoto L bracket to attach the camera vertically to a cheap macro rail via an arca clamp - and then mount that on a lightweight tripod. I've ben thinking of augmenting it with a rotator with clickstops to make things a bit quicker.

I have the AEL button configured to lock focus and exposure.

However on a recent trip I was taking landscape panos from high viewpoints using the DP2M and DP3M by handholding - I think the DPMs were made
for this - the detail is astounding.

The Ute

That's a piece of ultimate gear....:rolleyes:
With all you spend it should be like chump change.

B and H has 'em on sale for $299 w free upgraded software included.

I have been toying w the idea of getting one for a while now.

Just not sure how much I'd use it.

Haven't pulled the trigger for that reason and because I need to save my pennies for the DP1Q.

;)

G43

I use Sunwayfoto L bracket to attach the camera vertically to a cheap macro rail via an arca clamp - and then mount that on a lightweight tripod. I've ben thinking of augmenting it with a rotator with clickstops to make things a bit quicker.

I have the AEL button configured to lock focus and exposure.

However on a recent trip I was taking landscape panos from high viewpoints using the DP2M and DP3M by handholding - I think the DPMs were made
for this - the detail is astounding.
Thanks... and the details edges makes it easier to stitch..;)

G43

With all you spend it should be like chump change.

B and H has 'em on sale for $299 w free upgraded software included.

I have been toying w the idea of getting one for a while now.

Just not sure how much I'd use it.

Haven't pulled the trigger for that reason and because I need to save my pennies for the DP1Q.

;)
299 is such a round figure ;)

You are putting your savings into the Quattro basket? Is it the lens issue?

The Ute

299 is such a round figure ;)

You are putting your savings into the Quattro basket? Is it the lens issue?
Not so much a lens "issue" as a hoped for improvement.

I seek perfection within my modest means.

I will use whatever tool gives me the best results.

If the DP1Q is that tool more than the DP1M it will be my new weapon of choice.

If not, I am quite happy sticking w the DP1M.

I'm hoping to do the try-before-you-buy w the DP1Q as I did w the DP2Q.

G43

Fair enough UTE... until everything is proven, hopefully to the best, you will know at the end.

X3inca

Well, if you count software (for Mac OS-X) as a accessories, :D.
I found a QuickLook PlugIn (X3F-Utilities V 1.51) which enables a preview on X3F-Files.

This way you can see from Finder wich picture is in the file, no need for jpeg (if this is the only reason). It still works with 10.9.4 & Merrill 2 /3 X3F RAW's - you can find it here: (Corpus Callosum Corporation) software

Greetings, X3inca.

G43

That's a cool thing.
It is quite astonishing Sigma even with the SPP6 does not show at least thumbnail images of the raw file. :loco:

G43

Thanks Dryce...

This pano gear seems pretty nice to me. I do not mind a bit of manual leveling now we are in the slow motion world of Sigma Foveon.

If someone novice Merrill fan like me would ever stumble over this thread, it makes a very comprehensive shopping list.

I am soon going to initiate some of the very useful suggestions here into my newborn Foveon photography. I'll have the cameras in hand on Friday next week.

silver92b

This is a great thread. Learned a lot here, thank you! I purchased a cheap (relatively) OVF that someone in Israel hacked for the DP2 M. It works after a fashion, much better that the screen under sun light, but no focusing, info or anything else. Kind of like shooting the R-D1 with a non-coupled lens LOL.
I also found quite by luck that the lens hoods from an old OM 35mm camera fit the DP2! I used the conical metal filter for a bit, but I'm going to try the collapsible rubber unit for now.

I just ordered an adapter VF loupe for the 3" screen it is used from Amazon, but only $79. I also just ordered a grip/frame from ebay, I hope it worksout well. The 49mm-62mm step ring is also on order so I can use the CPL filter (and ND filter) I bought for my 12-40mm F2.8 Oly lens.