The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Quattro Shots

The Ute

I've been using a Rhinocam stitching plate with A7R and A6000, but will be getting a Cambo Actus for the A7R. I use a MBA with 4gb ram and AutoPanoPro 3.x for stitching. Works well. I haven't tried panos yet with the Q.
Didn't you use a "Gigapan" ?

Quentin_Bargate

Stones, using the latest firmware and SPP 6.05. All very sharp.

Biggest issue remains low level purple/cyan blotching in grey areas with the DP2Q. Not visible here, by try a slightly underexposed shot of grey tarmac and zoom in, you'll probably see it.

raist3d

Quentin- I think it would be cool if you try a shot like the rocks or other shots with reds or yellows in low res RAW mode and regular mode. I know you said you won't do more testing :) but i suspect the low res mode will make the colors pop even more true Foveon style.

- Ricardo

Quentin_Bargate

Dear All

Fancy printing 40" x 26.7" from a DP2Q file? How will it compare with a high end MF camera?

I experimented resizing the "Stones" image (see above) using Phoitozoom Pro to that size using its S-Spline Max algorithm, applied some post sharpening, then tried printing a slice from the final image on Premium Semimatte paper on an Espon 7900 printer.

A 10" wide slice from the original Jpeg is linked below if you want to try this yourself. I cropped this slice to print to avoid wasting too much roll paper and because the original file would be too large sensibly to download.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9806585/July_2014_onwards/BigStones.jpg

I have compared the digital file with a similar one taken a few months ago with my Hasselblad H5D also resized to the same size. The main difference is the lack of colour aliasing and false colour artifacts with the DP2Q; the subjective resolution difference at this size is minimal.

I'm not saying the DP2Q is better than the 'blad, its just my subjective impression of the upscaled DP2Q file is favourable. There is a visible payoff with the Foveon technology, even in its revised DP2Q form.

Quentin_Bargate

I think I see slightly better highlight recovery with the new SPP 6.05. I see no problems with sharpness and the texture is fairly "crunchy" (full size crop insert).

G43

Perhaps one day Quentin, the Sigma guys nails how to process the best out of this sensor.
I take it as a positive sign Sigma works on the SPP. As far as I know it took them a while to optimize the SPP5 to what it is today.

PS! Still no experimenting with M files with the new SPP?

Keep up the good work.

rjp85

Hey G43, I've used the new SPP with my Merrill files. I compared side by side to 5.5.3, and they're basically identical, but if you look closely, 6.05 has an extra punch and is slightly sharper from what I can see. 6.05 is also much faster than 5.5.3.

You won't miss out on anything if you use 5.5.3, but I recommend 6.05.

biglouis

Dear All

Fancy printing 40" x 26.7" from a DP2Q file? How will it compare with a high end MF camera?

I experimented resizing the "Stones" image (see above) using Phoitozoom Pro to that size using its S-Spline Max algorithm, applied some post sharpening, then tried printing a slice from the final image on Premium Semimatte paper on an Espon 7900 printer.

A 10" wide slice from the original Jpeg is linked below if you want to try this yourself. I cropped this slice to print to avoid wasting too much roll paper and because the original file would be too large sensibly to download.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9806585/July_2014_onwards/BigStones.jpg

I have compared the digital file with a similar one taken a few months ago with my Hasselblad H5D also resized to the same size. The main difference is the lack of colour aliasing and false colour artifacts with the DP2Q; the subjective resolution difference at this size is minimal.

I'm not saying the DP2Q is better than the 'blad, its just my subjective impression of the upscaled DP2Q file is favourable. There is a visible payoff with the Foveon technology, even in its revised DP2Q form.
Amazing detail. And the garden shot above - showing the print. Thanks for sharing.

LouisB

soboyle

My DP2 Quattro arrived yesterday, and I did several side by side tests with the DP2M. My conclusion is that the Q is worth the upgrade. The Q resolves more detail, the color is more accurate, and there are less crunches in the micro detail, which I found bothersome in the Merrill for anything except screen viewing. The bokeh looks different, at least on my few close up shots @ f/5.6, and I prefer the Quattro bokeh. It's a bit quicker, not by much, the LCD is better for manual focusing, battery lasts longer, handling is ok, mine usually sits on a tripod so not much of an issue. It's the highest resolving camera I have used, leaves my canon in the dust, but then I have never shot medium format digital.

Quentin_Bargate

I think that your recent shots, Carl, are good further evidence that the Quattro shows more than a hint of Merrill DNA, but not too much. And I agree with Shaun's observations generally. I am excited by the potential of a DP1Q when released.

scho

Beautiful pictures, and beautiful color rendering, and textures (especially then the first).
Thank you Octagone. The Q does really well with this kind of detailed subject matter.
I think that your recent shots, Carl, are good further evidence that the Quattro shows more than a hint of Merrill DNA, but not too much. And I agree with Shaun's observations generally. I am excited by the potential of a DP1Q when released.
I agree Quentin and I hope that the lens for the DP1Q is a good one.

Last edited: