The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Quattro Shots

Whirling

I have included some links to nine full-sized JPEGs out of my DPQ2, and one from my Sony Alpha55 (from my comparison in the post above). I converted them all from raw, with default settings, except white balance in a couple. They're not the most artistic of shots, but I hope they show more about what the camera can do before one even applies any skill or editing time.

They are all in a Public Folder on Dropbox:

DP2Q Test

I am debating whether I should buy Adobe Lightroom or something similar. Any recommendations?

Regards,
Jon

soboyle

Whirling,
Lightroom will not process the Sigma files, only the Sigma photo pro software will - much to our disappointment. The best workflow I have found is to shoot jpg plus raw, copy the whole lot to a directory, use Lightroom to evaluate the jpg's, and then process the few candidates in the dreadfully slow Sigma software. I find this to be much better/faster than trying to evaluate images in SPP.

Whirling

Whirling,
Lightroom will not process the Sigma files, only the Sigma photo pro software will - much to our disappointment. The best workflow I have found is to shoot jpg plus raw, copy the whole lot to a directory, use Lightroom to evaluate the jpg's, and then process the few candidates in the dreadfully slow Sigma software. I find this to be much better/faster than trying to evaluate images in SPP.
Shaun,

Thanks so much for answering my question. I am aware I have to do the initial conversion with Sigma Photo Pro, so it was exactly for the uses that you state that I'm considering Lightroom.

Regards,
Jon

soboyle

Anyone doing B&W work with the Quattro yet?
I'm wondering about best practice for processing for B&W - export a color tif to lightroom for conversion, or is there an advantage to working the raw file in SPP which will take advantage of the unique layered sensor?

scho

Recent tropical weather has the plants growing tall. I can't see over the cattails along the lake shore.

The Ute

Instead of reviewing the DP2Q I wish they would give us the scoop on when the DP1Q will be available.

;)

Quentin_Bargate

One area where the DP2Q falls flat on its face is with longer exposures, particularly if underexposed slightly. The purple / cyan blotchiness rears is ugly head in spades. As these blotches are much larger than individual photosites, I am surprised Sigma appear unable to deal with them.

Whirling

One area where the DP2Q falls flat on its face is with longer exposures, particularly if underexposed slightly. The purple / cyan blotchiness rears is ugly head in spades. As these blotches are much larger than individual photosites, I am surprised Sigma appear unable to deal with them.
I have been experimenting with trying to avoid the blotches, but have not found a way yet. They appear in medium gray areas mainly. I've wondered if one put a tinted filter on the lens and then edited that tint out later whether that would help. I know that would hurt the overall color response, but it might be worth it if it were to work. Also, I wonder if somebody could develop a quick and easy method in post-processing to deal with them: select an area and remove purple and green hues that deviate from the average, usually gray, hue.

My ultimate fantasy would, of course, just be for Sigma to release a firmware and/or SPP update that eliminated them...or even an option to eliminate them at some small cost to other qualities of the image.

Do the blotches appear when images are printed at say 17 inches wide?

Regards,
Jon

Quentin_Bargate

Jon, the blotchiness is rampant in underexposed (even correctly exposed) grey areas - check out a grey tarmac road surface, as an example - also greenish grey. Sigma have to find a fix at it seems to be some sort of processing error given it is not confined to single pixels or even groups of pixels. Not checked in print as yet.

G43

Perhaps my question here is out of proper timing since Sigma didn't come to the final SPP version yet. But how do you general feel the things are going? Is the DPQ series in the end going to wipe the floor under the DPM's?

The Ute

Perhaps my question here is out of proper timing since Sigma didn't come to the final SPP version yet. But how do you general feel the things are going? Is the DPQ series in the end going to wipe the floor under the DPM's?
That will never happen.

Quentin_Bargate

Who knows? The DP2Q is an extraordinary mixture of excellence and incompetence. In the right conditions, its better than the DP2M. Its a medium format camera in your jacket pocket. The right conditions generally mean plenty of light. Outside its comfort zone, it crashes and burns. If sigma have put their eggs in the Quattro basket, they must have a game plan to deal with the flaws otherwise it might be a dead end.

The Ute

I believe the Merrill is a medium format in the pocket as well.

And has other qualities that the Q's may never reach.

You are entitled to your opinion but please don't overstate the comparison Quentin.

The differences are not extreme in either direction IMO.

Quentin_Bargate

I tell it how I see it. The Merills are also MF cameras in your pocket. I'm still undecided which set of quirks one can most easily live with.

The Ute

I tell it how I see it. The Merills are also MF cameras in your pocket. I'm still undecided which set of quirks one can most easily live with.
That sounds fair.

And I do exactly the same.

Looking forward to that DP1Q.

Hoping the news lens design ups the ante.

The DP1M was a bit soft in the corners.

I'm greedy. I like perfection.

:)