The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Quattro Shots

Quentin_Bargate

I would settle for a full frame Merrill type sensor. Im not interested in a reduced resolution model, and Sigma won't make one anyway. Mono with the Merrills is excellent, at low ISO. Unfortunately it cannot compete with, say, an ISO 8000 shot from a Sony A7r or A7II both of which are quite compact. Sigma cannot win a high ISO race with the Foveon sensor, therefore they should concentrate on providing more of what they are good at, great colour, high resolution with zero moire. And where would these qualities give them an advantage and USP compared with the competition? Full frame 35mm or medium format.

Tim

I would settle for a full frame Merrill type sensor. Im not interested in a reduced resolution model, and Sigma won't make one anyway
The issue for me is the most magic out of a Sigma was with the original DP2. Oh, the pop from those files.
The Merrill while is great, its no DP2, the Quattro lags waaay behind. They need to return us to the DP2 IQ.

I think Sigma need to make a larger sensor, FF if you like, and temper the resolution to somewhere between the 5Mpixel DP2 and the 15Mpixel DP2M. That would give us big fat Foveon pixels (remember these will be on a bigger sensor) akin to a fat pixel MF back in a portable package.

Put it in a package a little smaller than the Merrill and attach a top class lens like the DP2M has, add an EVF or "OVF with data" and some dust sealing and I'll put the other cameras in a drawer.

Its particularly important that they seal it. Adventurer types will then feel confident to take it places and use it in the dust and rain.

I would like to add a THANK YOU to Quentin, Hulyss, Malina, Scho, the Ute and all you other Sigma users for your samples, review and evaluation of these cameras. It takes time and effort and you guys do this gratis. Its appreciated.

Last edited:

Tim

Aren't DP Merrills already as monochrome as one could dream of with SPP monochrome tools? You get 15MPx for each R, G, and B channel at your disposal.
I very much agree with this. In many ways the Merrill's can do B/W better than colour.
If you can't afford a Leica Monochrom the Sigma DP's are worth a look.

This thread explains how to get some good high ISO B/W out of a Merrill.

Mods, this should be a sticky in this forum, thank you!
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/other-cameras/46298-foveon-sensor-better-high-iso-than-i-thought.html

I have tried an DP2M ISO800 B/W print using this method and its virtually noiseless IMO.

Hulyss Bowman

I have faith in the SD quattro ... Depending on the specs, I might buy one with some art lenses. I'm a D810 renter almost every week and planned to buy a brand new one but... I ran into some sort of problems ... First, the shutter got a problem (I'm the only one who rent it, so using it) @ roughly 15k shoots and second, the sensor got a problem. I will not invest in a Nikon body anymore, they cost too much and quality isn't as great as old days.

Anyway, the bargain could be a SD quattro (I think it is clear we can forget about Merrill in the future) and art lenses, even the 18-35 f1.8 and an USB dock. Now we just need to wait the announcement :p

What is a SD quattro? I have not heard of it. Still thinking about an SD1 but the DP Merrills are so good its kind of hard to justify a SD1 - still lust one though.
Robert

Quentin_Bargate

The SD Quattro does not exist - yet. It would only be of interest to me if it is (a) full frame and (b) uses a much improved iteration of the Quattro type sensor. Otherwise the Sony A7 series looks to be a far better bet.

Hulyss Bowman

Well... Sigma CEO said no full frame and said we will have a SD with quattro sensor but he do not want to say anything on the design. So I'm like you Quentin, I would like a "fixed" quattro, not this actual prototype, I want live view for focus on field. APS-C will be fine if I can retrieve the clarity of Merrill and pre-Merrill.

I use the A7r of my mom but I'm just allergic to this ugly brick/computer or whatever ;)

Quentin_Bargate

Contemplating the use of the DPxQ series as mono cameras (given I already own the DP1Q and DP2Q), this article looked promising

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.focus-numerique.com%2Ftest-2116%2Fcompact-sigma-dp1-quattro-precision-colorimetrie-11.html&edit-text=&act=url

Looks like the DPxQ series might be quite good bets as mono cameras, as The Ute has already mentioned. The problem remains highlight clipping and the fact the Merrills are also good mono cameras. Perhaps underexposing the Quattros would compensate?

soboyle

If I could trust the histogram a bit more then the highlights blowing would be less of an issue. To compensate I usually am crushing shadow areas that then need to get pulled up from the depths. This then has the potential for a lot of noise.
But when the light is just right, not high contrast, this camera can make beautiful images.
I'm interested if you treat B&W conversions from the DPQ's any differently than from other cameras.
The X-trans cameras make some very nice B&W images. There has to be a saving grace to the DP2Q. I can't sell the bloody thing, no one wants it.

Quentin_Bargate

Shaun

Exactly. The Quattros are an object lesson in hubris. They are the Sinclair C5 of cameras (remember the C5?).

Ft Lauderdale, Florida, the DP2Q in its narrow comfort zone (just), where it can be quite excellent..

Last edited:

Malina DZ

Ft Lauderdale, Florida, the DP2Q in its narrow comfort zone (just), where it can be quite excellent..
:toocool: That's The School Board of Broward County. Welcome Quentin!
Do you mind shooting a frame with Q & M with a green or red filter attached and converting the shots in B&W? I wonder how much information those green and red layers carry in Quattros.

Quentin_Bargate

Nice building for a school board! I attened the Ft Lauderdale boat show every year on business.

Not sure I have any B&W filters left. Have not used any for years now.

Tim

Contemplating the use of the DPxQ series as mono cameras (given I already own the DP1Q and DP2Q), this article looked promising
I think it could be the niche for the Quattro.
I do like Merrill mono though!

Can I go on a limb and say either Quattro or Merrill mono rivals the Monochrom?

BTW: this is a Merrill file and was taken as a Med res file. Hope its ok in this Quattro thread.
I couldn't help but post a bike.

Quentin_Bargate

I think that but for the blown highlight issue (not as noticeable in mono, but still there), the Quattro would rival the Monochrom and as the Merrills do not have that issue, they do rival the monochrom, plus they have the versatility of being able to shoot in colour, making them rather special

There's life in these beasts....