The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Xitek EVF for Sigma

The Ute

on that link they want to have 180 USD for this viewfinder. This is very expensive compared to the original price on the chinese website...
Well you can spend a few hours trying to work w Microsoft translator as I did (wasn't easy) and that will save you your bucks, or you can make life easy on yourself and pay a little more but do so in English.

If I were you I'd pay a little more.

;)

Hi

could you please post here the link to the chinese site to order it cheaper? I have a chinese friend and maybe he can help me with this.

Is the veiwfinder working? what are the pro and cons in your view? Is battery life worse with the EVF? Is framing in very bright sunlight now possible? How is it for faster actions? smearing etc.?

Thanks

The Ute

Hi

could you please post here the link to the chinese site to order it cheaper? I have a chinese friend and maybe he can help me with this.

Is the veiwfinder working? what are the pro and cons in your view? Is battery life worse with the EVF? Is framing in very bright sunlight now possible? How is it for faster actions? smearing etc.?

Thanks

ÊÊÂí sigma DP1 2S DP1X DP2X DP1M DP2M DP3M µç×ÓÈ¡¾°Æ÷ È¡¾°Æ÷-ÌÔ±¦Íø

Viewfinder works fine.

Battery life is improved.

Can frame in Bright Sunlight.

Not especially good for Macro.

I do not do action w a Merrill only Landscape and still life.

Biggest con is lack of a diopter but I think I have found a workaround.

2nd biggest nit pick is that the VF and LCD cannot operate together.

One must be switched on/off to have the other working.

The Xitek has it's own separate on/off switch.

darr

I just received my Xitek EVF for Sigma via DHL Worldwide Express. That was quick as I ordered it on Sunday 7/20 and today is Monday 7/28. The unit does not come with any batteries and the ones I ordered are due here on Wednesday, so no tryout for me until then :(. The website states: "the hood can be used Nikon D3100 goggles ..." so I went ahead and ordered a Nikon D3100 diopter for $9.95 US which includes shipping from Adorama via eBay. Hope it works! I will post after I get it up and running. :)

The Ute

I just received my Xitek EVF for Sigma via DHL Worldwide Express. That was quick as I ordered it on Sunday 7/20 and today is Monday 7/28. The unit does not come with any batteries and the ones I ordered are due here on Wednesday, so no tryout for me until then :(. The website states: "the hood can be used Nikon D3100 goggles ..." so I went ahead and ordered a Nikon D3100 diopter for $9.95 US which includes shipping from Adorama via eBay. Hope it works! I will post after I get it up and running. :)
How are you liking the EVF ?

I continue to experiment on improving it.

But the adjustable diopter I purchased did not improve things.

In fact, I found w my vision, it only made matters worse.

I tried the one you ordered too.

No help either.

I feel the native resolution is acceptable for most tasks.

So it looks like I stick w what I've got.

It still beats the Hoodman for convenience IMO.

Macro shooters will likely continue to need one though.

darr

How are you liking the EVF ?

I continue to experiment on improving it.

But the adjustable diopter I purchased did not improve things.

In fact, I found w my vision, it only made matters worse.

I tried the one you ordered too.

No help either.

I feel the native resolution is acceptable for most tasks.

So it looks like I stick w what I've got.

It still beats the Hoodman for convenience IMO.

Macro shooters will likely continue to need one though.
Hi Michael,

I have not had time to shoot with the EVF, but I have looked through it on all three DPM cameras. It is a step above the Hoodman for sure, although it does not show 100% of the screen. The diopter I ordered does not work on the EVF either, but I can see okay without it. Hopefully I will be able to shoot with the EVF this week. I will post my findings when I do.

Kind regards,
Darr

The Ute

Hi Michael,

I have not had time to shoot with the EVF, but I have looked through it on all three DPM cameras. It is a step above the Hoodman for sure, although it does not show 100% of the screen. The diopter I ordered does not work on the EVF either, but I can see okay without it. Hopefully I will be able to shoot with the EVF this week. I will post my findings when I do.

Kind regards,
Darr
Be sure to change to "PAL" from "NTSC".

Go to "Tools" and the video output.

You change it there.

That should give you about 97% coverage, or least better than under "NTSC".

soboyle

Interested in hearing more about this evf. The Ute mentioned a 640x480 resolution, is that low res enough to manual focus critically?
My use would be for the Quattro, so I think not compatible yet?

The Ute

Interested in hearing more about this evf. The Ute mentioned a 640x480 resolution, is that low res enough to manual focus critically?
My use would be for the Quattro, so I think not compatible yet?
It is not good for Macro type work.

And if you are wedded to the Quattro you are S.O.L.

It grabs it's info from the video port and as you know the Quattro does not do video.

Hi,
I have one of these EVF's coming soon.
I saw online that it uses a 16340 3.7V lithium battery.
In checking on where to get this battery I find some confusion about its size and voltage and recharge or not.
Can you who have this EVF finder tell me what battery you are using and where to get them?
Thank you!
Robert

darr

Hi,
I have one of these EVF's coming soon.
I saw online that it uses a 16340 3.7V lithium battery.
In checking on where to get this battery I find some confusion about its size and voltage and recharge or not.
Can you who have this EVF finder tell me what battery you are using and where to get them?
Thank you!
Robert
Hi Robert,
You should have contacted me because I would have sold you my EVF and batteries cheap!!
I use my old and trusty Linhof 6x9 variable viewfinder instead these days. :)

I bought the LingsFire® 16340 1000mah 3.7V Rechargeable Li-Ion Batteries In Black + 16340 Charger (4pcs battery + charger) from Amazon and they work well with the EVF.

Kind regards,
Darr

Hi Darr,
Thank you for the help on the batteries.
In light of Sigma not doing an EVF for the Merrills, I had to do something for myself. I realize it may not be much of a finder but I needed to try.
If by some chance I like it, maybe I can buy yours for one of the other Merrills.
I have attached a Delvin shade on the back of the camera with a flip down clear view loupe and it works very well - like looking through a 4x5 view camera except bright and right side up. Still want an EVF though.
Robert