The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What next for Sigmas compact?

Tim

We've analysed the Quattro output and compared it to the Merrills. We do yet have to see the DP1Q and DP3Q of course - they may surprise. I look forward to seeing that.

Past this where do you think Sigma should go?
Discussing your ideas for academic purposes only.

I'd like a true Foveon design in larger FF lower resolution sensor. Less resolution similar to the Sony A7s approach. 8-10 MPixel in a Foveon design is enough.

Body size akin to the Sony RX1 in a weather resistant body. Must have a fixed non telescoping lens. Basic controls, similar to the Leica X1 . Video not needed. A built-in EVF using current EVF tech. Lens designs of 21mm / 45mm / 90mm versions with an integrated tele converter for the 90mm to take it it 135mm.

A RAW format that does not tie us to SPP. DNG anyone?

Your thoughts?

biglouis

Tim

All I want is an EVF. I am afraid I am lazy. I was shooting almost exclusively with my Merrills until I bought my A7 earlier this year. Getting a camera with an EVF was a revelation.

Yes, I do not achieve the same IQ but on the other hand I am able to properly composed my shots.

I have tried using a loupe. Unfortunately, I did not spring for a Hoodman, I only bought a recommended cheaper alternative and it was crap. But even so, why add to the bulk.

With the arrival of the R100III Sony has shown that even the smallest bodied camera can have an integral EVF, or at least an external clip-on.

LouisB

Tim

Tim

All I want is an EVF. I am afraid I am lazy. I was shooting almost exclusively with my Merrills until I bought my A7 earlier this year. Getting a camera with an EVF was a revelation.

Yes, I do not achieve the same IQ but on the other hand I am able to properly composed my shots.

I have tried using a loupe. Unfortunately, I did not spring for a Hoodman, I only bought a recommended cheaper alternative and it was crap. But even so, why add to the bulk.

With the arrival of the R100III Sony has shown that even the smallest bodied camera can have an integral EVF, or at least an external clip-on.

LouisB
I sometimes think these cameras are designed and tested indoors only. Its seems very much at the top of list.

The Ute

Full frame SD1 in a rangefinder style body w interchangeable lenses.

A Sigma EVF and live view.

Cable release and usability more like the Quattro, or better.

Not much to ask.

:)

Malina DZ

Tim, I'd consider buying the camera you've described. But I dislike RX1 handling with my big paws :) If it should be small, then smth akin to NEX-6 I could work with.
I'd add to Tim's spec list:
ISO range of 50-400 with no color artifacts;
fixed lens with an f-stop starting at 1.2 (if FF Merrill sensor);
image stabilization;
That would be enough for me to be happy with a new camera.

mezzoduomo

Tim

All I want is an EVF. I am afraid I am lazy. I was shooting almost exclusively with my Merrills until I bought my A7 earlier this year. Getting a camera with an EVF was a revelation......

LouisB
I recently got a Sony a6000 with a lovely built-in EVF, and between that (using Sigma 19 and Zeiss 32) and my Merrills (DP1 and DP2) I'm all set until I win the lottery. I had thought the Quattro would tempt me, but now....not so much.

dbarthel

I'd take my DP Merrill, add a handhold bump on the right and larger battery or dual of the current battery, add an evf interface to the hot shoe for an industry standard efv, add a remote cable release, enable tethering with a tool like cam ranger, firmware improvements: focus peaking, better auto bracketing options, better hdr support, in camera level and tilt display. In simple terms, take it away from the engineers and let photographers suggest regular and timely firmware upgrades.
And Sigma, please help Adobe or Phase One implement raw conversions from the Merrills and Quatros.

rjp85

Hmm, if I was in charge...

Sigma DP4, DP5, DP6, DP7:

Full color, 1:1:1 full-frame, 36:36:36 MP sensor with newly designed 21, 43, 75, and 105mm f/2 leaf-shutter lenses with large metal focusing rings that sync with flash at all shutter speeds (like they do now), DSLR-like liveview, an EVF, no video, faster AF, a real grip integrated into the body, tilt-LCD screen, and a major CPU upgrade to take advantage of the fastest CF cards.

I'm allowed to dream...

Actually, I heard the Sigma CEO say that he wants to eventually create a Foveon sensor camera that will reach 8x10" film quality in the future. If he wants to do that, they better take my advice. :)

G43

I do not really know what I would wish without mentioning the perfect system. Sigma Foveon or not. But here it goes:

- Mirrorless
- EVF
- Fixed lenses optimized for the sensor
- 3 focal lengths 28, 50 and 85 eqv. Macro adaptor lens.
- FF f2.8 for wide and f2 for tele
- 14 or 16 bit
- Large dynamic range if possible
- IBIS
- Water proof
- Max 4-500 grams each
- The rest like Olympus EM1

And then of course ability to work out the RAW file in ACR/PS or any similar PP program.

:)

Dryce

I'd like to see a better quality LCD which is articulated like a Sony A77.

I'd like a bigger battery

I'd like a remote cable release or IR remote control

I'd like a DP with an 85mm F1.4 lens that had an apodisation filter.

An EVF would be nice to have but an improved LCD is higher up my priority list.

Tim

Actually, I heard the Sigma CEO say that he wants to eventually create a Foveon sensor camera that will reach 8x10" film quality in the future.
thats an interesting quote from him. We may be surprised again.