The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma Merrills and IR

adsf

I think it will not work well until you remove the ir-cut filter. dpMerrill are not exactly built for longer exposure...

snowy

I tried a standard Hoya R72 filter on the un-modified DP2m and DP3m a while back, and the results didn't encourage me to bother again! It might be better with the low-pass filter removed, but I'm not going to sacrifice one of mine to try it.

snowy

Just tried a couple of tests with a weaker filter - not sure of the exact wavelength but it's a Leica 39mm IR filter which works nicely on my M8 :)
On the Sigma DP2m there's both a pronounced hot-spot in the centre of the frame, and a very weak response to the IR waveband, so it doesn't look workable without removing the low-pass filter.

xpatUSA

Anyone have any hands on experience with IR on the Merrills? If so, what nanometer filter did you use?
Not Merrill, but I've used the SD10 with it's "dust-cover" removed. I bought a variety of filters and settled on the Marumi 700nm as best for my purposes. The AF works with that filter on. Some higher nm's do not, leaving you with focusing with the filter off :(

If you don't own a SD1 or SD1M, I wouldn't even bother! A cheap SD10, SD14 or SD15 would be much better as your dedicated UV/full/IR camera. Not the SD9 though - it's hot mirror is epoxied onto the sensor, almost impossible to remove.

Ted

Last edited: