The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SD1 should I or should I not ?

Hi,
I have all three of the DP Merrills and really like them. The image quality and I actually like the funky little camera bodies.
I am not crazy about the lack of viewfinder and sometimes it seems like actually looking through the lens and seeing what the lens sees might be nice.

Thinking about a SD1 Merrill since even those have come down in price. I would be getting some of the better (maybe not the best) Sigma lenses as well.

Do you think the output quality of the MP Merrils is because of the fixed matched lens and I would not get that on the interchangeable lens SD1?
Does any 3rd party make some special purpose lenses in Sigma mount?

Experience? Educated opinions?

Thanks

Robert

darr

Robert,

I acquired a Sigma SD1 Merrill recently for studio macro work after using MF tech cameras for a few years. Needless to say, there can be no comparison between my favorite MF tech lens, the Schneider 120mm macro lens and the Sigma 70mm macro lens, but for the work I plan on producing with the SD1 setup, it will do just fine. Last year I made the decision to go as simplistic as possible with gear and it was then I initially tried the Merrill line after reading through the forums and gazing at the Foveon look. I am happy to say, the Merrill line fits the simplicity and quality I am looking for.

I have not had a lot of time of late to devote to shooting the SD1, but below are two recent images made with my current setup, the SD1 Merrill and Sigma 70mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro. I have an appreciation for the Foveon sensor and the simple design of the camera controls. The SD1 body when compared to say a Nikon D700 is so simple, that to me, it is a thing of beauty, although others may want or need more electronics in their DSLR body and that is why I recommend renting before purchasing if possible.

The shells I photographed below are tiny, about 1½" across and depth of field is always an issue when shooting macro, but the SD1 setup did what I wanted it to do. I probably will not use the SD1 for work outside the studio so I cannot help you with info about that, but it should not be a problem.

I rented the SD1 M + 35mm lens from lensrentals.com and then purchased the body used from KEH.com and the lens new from amazon.com. I highly recommend renting prior to buying. DSLR cameras have never been my favorite cameras, but the simplicity of the SD1 is very appealing to me.

Kind regards,
Darr

Spirals: Intuition and Awareness
SD1 Merrill + Sigma 70mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro + Profoto D1

Spirals: Mandala Sunshine
SD1 Merrill + Sigma 70mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro + Profoto D1

UHDR

im actually on the same boat. i have the DP2m and DP3m. I'm waiting for the SD1Q to be launched then decide. but from what i can tell so far, I might go with SD1m instead of SD1Q.

i know alot of people have alot of good things to say about DPxM, but SD1m is rarely mentioned and even if it is, there is always a hint of negativity attached to the comments. I wonder if it is down to two things A) weight/size B) no live view. i seem to remember someone complained the colour responses is not as good as the DPxM series.... anyone else can chip in? :)

retow

I have all 3 Merrills and was going back and forth on adding a SD1 as I might as well carry a SD1 with two excellent primes, I thought, in lieu of all Merrills with spare batteries lens hoods etc. However, the lenses of the Merrills, whilst slow, are outstanding and matching the same quality with SD1 primes seems to require to go to the heavier side and get the new "Art" lenses.

The Ute

I have all 3 Merrills and was going back and forth on adding a SD1 as I might as well carry a SD1 with two excellent primes, I thought, in lieu of all Merrills with spare batteries lens hoods etc. However, the lenses of the Merrills, whilst slow, are outstanding and matching the same quality with SD1 primes seems to require to go to the heavier side and get the new "Art" lenses.
And even after optimizing them their is no guarantee they will be as well mated to the sensor as they are in the Merrill line.

That too is part of the Merrill magic.

UHDR

it is very true. i did made a lame attempt to put a 2x tele filter in front of the DP3m... it was so soft the AF refuse to work hahahahaha.... that was the first time i actually thought...ssss..... the DPxM series is capable of taking rubbish pictures!