The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Optical or EVF for Quattro

soboyle

Looking for a solution to shooting with the DP Cameras in bright sunlight where the LCD is very difficult to see. Not a shoe mounted optical viewfinder, I want to see the LCD and all the camera information displayed.
I've seen some pretty ugly home made solutions using LCD loupes, any other solutions out there that don't double the size of the camera?
Prefer an evf that sits on the hotshoe, or a compact lcd loupe solution.

The Ute

Looking for a solution to shooting with the DP Cameras in bright sunlight where the LCD is very difficult to see. Not a shoe mounted optical viewfinder, I want to see the LCD and all the camera information displayed.
I've seen some pretty ugly home made solutions using LCD loupes, any other solutions out there that don't double the size of the camera?
Prefer an evf that sits on the hotshoe, or a compact lcd loupe solution.
Look under the Xitek EVF thread.

Several of us have purchased one.

Works OK in bright sunlight and is OK for general framing.

Fits into the hot shoe.

All shooting info. is displayed in the EVF.

Only works with the Merrill line.

soboyle

OK, here is my solution for a optical viewfinder for the DP2Q. A bit bulky but works for my type of usage for this camera, which is tripod mounted 90% of the time.
A Hoodman 3.2 LCD loupe and a Desmond lens plate. The lens plate has a slot, so that it can thread into both the hood, which has a 1/4-20 mount, and the camera. I picked up the DPL-100 lens plate, which is compatible with the arca type mount. Only mod I need to make is a thin spacer between the camera and the plate, to center the hood on the LCD a bit better. I also used a spare 1/4-20 tripod plate screw. It's a very solid attachment to the camera, and can be used both on tripod or hand held. It makes manual focus usable, it was difficult to judge focus without the loupe. Total cost was $96.90.