The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One of the weirdest just got weirder

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've always looked upon viewfinders that have to be attached to a camera that doesn't feature one to start with a hassle. That was those tiny, little EVF things. Sigma just brought the attachable viewfinder hassle to another stratosphere...

The Ute

I've always looked upon viewfinders that have to be attached to a camera that doesn't feature one to start with a hassle. That was those tiny, little EVF things. Sigma just brought the attachable viewfinder hassle to another stratosphere...

This was already started on another thread ( DP1Q Announcement).

You might try reading it next time.

;)

Tim

Hi Jorgen,

For a person on a limited budget, I think the Sigma Quattro's (and the Merrills) offer near MF IQ. While this VF attachment does make the whole thing look a behemoth I can still imagine some dedicated landscaper putting the thing on a tripod and getting a detailed LCD image with all data, and at a fraction of the cost of say a Blad with one lens and being a similar size.

Perhaps someone with poor eyesight could use it as a solution also. A good thing is it breaks down to a different package to carry.

I do lament that any HQ fixed lens camera begs to have a similarly fixed HQ OVF built in, With some data from the camera overlayed in the image. Much the same as I had with my Contax T3.

EVF seems to have "won"

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Jorgen,

For a person on a limited budget, I think the Sigma Quattro's (and the Merrills) offer near MF IQ. While this VF attachment does make the whole thing look a behemoth I can still imagine some dedicated landscaper putting the thing on a tripod and getting a detailed LCD image with all data, and at a fraction of the cost of say a Blad with one lens and being a similar size.

Perhaps someone with poor eyesight could use it as a solution also. A good thing is it breaks down to a different package to carry.

I do lament that any HQ fixed lens camera begs to have a similarly fixed HQ OVF built in, With some data from the camera overlayed in the image. Much the same as I had with my Contax T3.

EVF seems to have "won"
I'm very tempted by these cameras, but I have so many cameras and not enough time :(

I guess three bodies and one "viewfinder" wouldn't take up too much space, would it?

Jørgen

The Ute

Hi Jorgen,

EVF seems to have "won"
They have definitely succeeded in taking a modern, sleek camera and turning it into a large monstrosity that way.

How much simpler it would have been to just set it up for a Hot shoe mounted
EVF.

My bet is it wouldn't cost anymore than that LCD magnifier.

That said, the results are what make me keep coming back so I put up with the horrible ergonomics, and other inconveniences.

darr

I am looking forward to trying it out. I currently use the Merrill DP1, 2 and 3 and prefer to use them with a Hoodman Loupe even though I have the aftermarket EVF. Maybe it is my foundation in 4x5" camera work, but I prefer looking through the loupe over the EVF. If someone has never tried the Merrill line of cameras in as far as trying to get the maximum amount of resolution in the smallest package, then I do not think they would understand why some photographers use these cameras even though we have other options. My other options include shooting a ALPA Max with superb lenses, but I have a need for a smaller tool with as much resolution as possible and after trying the Merrill line, I sold off all my Nikon gear. Different strokes for different folks, but I understand why Sigma FINALLY gave us ground glass viewers this option.

rjp85

LCD viewfinders are far, far better than any EVF.

This finder can be easily taken off and reattached whenever you want.

I use a Hoodman LCD finder on my DP2M and DP3M. It's great, but this Sigma version looks much, much better, and probably has better optics.

The great thing about the Hoodman is that it can be used on any camera you want.

The Ute

LCD viewfinders are far, far better than any EVF.

This finder can be easily taken off and reattached whenever you want.

I use a Hoodman LCD finder on my DP2M and DP3M. It's great, but this Sigma version looks much, much better, and probably has better optics.

The great thing about the Hoodman is that it can be used on any camera you want.

The issue with these finders is their size not their capability.

I use one but I would love a good EVF.