The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Quattro v Merrill threads

digi2ap

Looking back at the Sigma DP2 Merrill shots thread, which was started by Quentin Bargate in August 2012 and which I followed closely, there doesn't seem to be anywhere near the same degree of "chatter" about the Quattro shots thread. Over a similar time-frame the Merrill thread had produced three times the number of pages - is the Quattro that much less inspiring? I ask because I have both DP1M and DP2M's and was certainly enthusiastic about the Quattro at launch.

Last edited:

Malina DZ

I ask because I have both DP1M and DP2M's and was certainly enthusiastic about the Quattro at launch.
I'm sure every DP M owner was excited at Quattro launch. Then we saw multiple RAW samples, some even tried the camera themselves, and excitement dissipated (for me at least). Opinions have already been expressed in multiple threads here.

The Ute

I was one of those who tried one to compare against the Merrill.

I think the two are close. I think the preference comes down to one's taste.

For me the DP2 Merrill's look suits me better.

Quentin has experimented w the DP2Q and has produced some incredible images.

The newest firmware has also improved things in certain areas for the Q.

I am getting ready to purchase a DP1Q because of the lens revision.

digi2ap

I still have hope for the Quattro. I had the earlier generation DP's before the Merrills and it took me about a year to get used to the change That went hand in hand with improvements to SPP.

The Ute

The DP1Q will be the only Quattro I will purchase.

Again, mainly for the lens upgrade.

I want Sigma to succeed and make money because I want them to make cameras. I just want them to succeed back to a more DPx Merrill kind of camera and add a EVF. If they lose too much on the Quattro I'm afraid they may give up.
Robert

digi2ap

I want Sigma to succeed and make money because I want them to make cameras. I just want them to succeed back to a more DPx Merrill kind of camera and add a EVF. If they lose too much on the Quattro I'm afraid they may give up.
Robert
I think that given the short lifecycle of the DP Merrill's (compared to the earlier DP/S/X etc) I would have liked to see the bodies updated with an EVF and other functional improvements as a next step. Like you, I want Sigma to succeed not least as I find it really difficult to photograph with any other camera!!

The Ute

"I find it really difficult to photograph with any other camera!!"

Understandable.

Carrying MF quality in your shirt pocket is pretty hard to resist.

I've been hooked for quite some time.

:)

The Ute

Darr-

I'm likely going to be selling some of my gear and accessories.

Please let me know if you are looking for anything in particular to add to your collection.

Tim

I have hope for the Quattro's replacement --

Inbuilt OVF with data in viewfinder
Weather sealed
Larger sensor but less pixels (Sony A7s)
Smaller camera, conventional design - Merrill about right
Bigger gap in versions 21mm, 45mm, 90mm (equivalent to film) versions

Tim

I should also really add.

Please Sigma, in the Quattro's replacement take us back to the "True Foveon" sensor

We don't need this half baked Bayer/Foveon - Boveon? or Fayer?

Lainer

I bought another Merrill when I read reviews and saw shots of the Quattro, which to me lost that Foveon edge, 3D quality to them. You can read DigiLloyd's reviews if you subscribe to the Mirrorless section fro one year.

A couple of interesting stories about getting in to the DP Merrills.
1) I had heard a little bit about the Merrills, but not really very much. They were starting to come down in price as the Quattro was being introduced so I bought one just to try it out. So I had no real heavy bias towards the Merrills when I started. I casually shot a few test shots with a Nikon, a Sony RX1 and the DP2- no big deal I thought. I was looking through the test files and was literally struck by the files from the DP2. Those files were different. I couldn't really put my finger on it but they were just really different. I now have all three Merrialls and a backup. Innocence = bliss.
2) I read the other day a comment by some person on a blog. He was talking about the Sigma Merrill cameras. He was hesitant due to the difficulty in explaining. He said that it was curious how one could read about the Merrills and not quite "get it" until you try for yourself and see the results. This is what I've been saying to friends - even seeing files on a website does not quite do it - gotta see the files on your computer. I can;t think of any other digital camera that I would want.

The Ute

A couple of interesting stories about getting in to the DP Merrills.
1) I had heard a little bit about the Merrills, but not really very much. They were starting to come down in price as the Quattro was being introduced so I bought one just to try it out. So I had no real heavy bias towards the Merrills when I started. I casually shot a few test shots with a Nikon, a Sony RX1 and the DP2- no big deal I thought. I was looking through the test files and was literally struck by the files from the DP2. Those files were different. I couldn't really put my finger on it but they were just really different. I now have all three Merrialls and a backup. Innocence = bliss.
2) I read the other day a comment by some person on a blog. He was talking about the Sigma Merrill cameras. He was hesitant due to the difficulty in explaining. He said that it was curious how one could read about the Merrills and not quite "get it" until you try for yourself and see the results. This is what I've been saying to friends - even seeing files on a website does not quite do it - gotta see the files on your computer. I can;t think of any other digital camera that I would want.
They are a screaming bargain at around $500 dollars.

biglouis

I too hope that Sigma are not put off cameras by what appears to be a mixed reception to the Quattro. It is a shame that they did not just update the DPxM bodies with an EVF and maybe improved lens design.

I might be tempted into a DP1Q but I am hanging on to my DP2M and DP3M (especially) until such time as Sigma really do create something equally special.

LouisB