The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Foveon-Shooters and their other gear

retow

What other versatile and relatively compact gear do Foveon shooters put into their average travel bag next to the DPMs without being disappointed with the file quality. I tried (too) many (XT-1 mft, A7, A7s), but file quality wise none could really convince me. The A7r comes close, but it is not solving my issue, as its strengths mostly overlap with the Merrills (landscapes, cityscapes, stills) rather than complementing them. Looking forward to your thoughts.

xpatUSA

Life gets easier if one doesn't print and takes mostly close-up shots for the Wife's eBay stuff. I own the Foveon-powered Polaroid X530, Sigma SD9, SD10, and SD14. No DP anything. It will come as no surprise that I am quite satisfied with a Panasonic GH1 + 14-45mm, 45-200mm and the excellent Leica 45mm macro.

At 75, I have absolutely no patience for SPP's glacial processing of Merrill files and, lately, the sheer ease of use of the Panasonic is becoming more attractive.

Ted

Last edited:

digi2ap

Panasonic m43 (GH3/GH1 and GX1) used largely for the excellent video options and photographically also for ease of use from time to time which is mainly for product pics for auction site selling and other mundane purposes!!

Hulyss Bowman

What other versatile and relatively compact gear do Foveon shooters put into their average travel bag next to the DPMs without being disappointed with the file quality. I tried (too) many (XT-1 mft, A7, A7s), but file quality wise none could really convince me. The A7r comes close, but it is not solving my issue, as its strengths mostly overlap with the Merrills (landscapes, cityscapes, stills) rather than complementing them. Looking forward to your thoughts.
I tried and owned the material you mention. Foveon do have this super clear IQ you can't really find in another "well priced and compact" camera. That said, it is not an optimal camera, even for landscapes.

The common sense of a Sigma power shooter would be upgrading in an Alpa 12TC with old back and a second hand Rodi lens. Some of you can, most of you can't.

Mrs Winsome crossed my road one day and told me that I should back pedal big time to appreciate more photography and not focussing on photography tools.

Then, you realise that "compactness", EVF, "sharpness" and so on are just a fashion and, at the end, expensive.

I, so far, prefer shooting with a D700 and some primes than any other gear. Details are secondary in a picture. Printing large is occasional for most of you and 12MP are sufficient for most of you. 12 MP can be printed A2/A0 with ease and care. This printings will not force shock your eyes, they will be pleasing. 12 MP are cool to edit and stock.

So yea, the D700 is not light but you forget it, at the end. The ease of framing and the immense versatility of this body are key points. Plug a 16-35 f4 ED VR on it for your landscape works and you will forget forums. Need reach ? Just add a 180mm f2.8 ED in your bag just in case or a light good zoom like the 24-120 f4 ED VR.

Versatility, unification of the PP pipeline and of course, pleasing pictures without any defaults apart being 12 MP... which is not a default at the end.

So yea, the A7s is kinda prototype but if they do an A7sII with ibis ... then we have a champ. This + a zoom, a second hand Leica lens with adapter and you're good for a while.

So foveon ?? Actually no, thanks. It's an anomaly that I use only occasionally today. As XpatUsa said, SPP is just a wreckage of code, a wreckage of time and energy. All this energy should be used to lug around real cameras, like D700 ;)

Tim

Viewer acceptance is a variable thing. We all use our own eyes and brains. There is no right or wrong.... But to answer the OP question. I carry a GR with my DP2M. I have a DP3 but it has not seen much use yet. The GR can disappoint but not often and its good in low light.

I have seen many an image from the A7r that I would on occasion say is superior to a DP2M (IMHO) because of the perceived colour accuracy to my eyes. But I don't own one yet. I very much like the Sony RX1, I suspect the lens has a lot to say here.

I also like the output from the Pentax 654D, again, its just my eyes like what it sees.

You can experience all these looking though Flickr.

I still think the original DP2 remains one of the best image makers ever, even over the Merrills. It lacks the extreme resolution, and its results were a little hit and miss with more hits. I sometimes take Med or Low res on my DP2M to simulate the DP2. Works ok.

The Ute

I'm using the A7r and/or Nex7 w Zeiss 55 1.8 and Samyang 14mm along w the DP1M.
Liking the results.
Looking forward to the new 28/21mm FE prime.
I also hung on to a DP2Q.

johnnygoesdigital

I couldn't get past the software which always sucked. However, many pros I know love them. I'll stick with film until the bugs are worked out...it's faster!
My other small camera is the amazing XT1 and soon a XT100t with a 1/2000th flash sync, so perhaps the XT100t could double as a studio portrait cam too. I'd love to try the Q's, but I've heard that they don't quite render like the original Merrill

Quentin_Bargate

I guess a Hasselblad H5D-200MS is probably not quite compact enough :D. But what it does do - at least in multishot mode- is give true RGB colour, bit like a massive 50mp or 200mp Foveon sensor. Thing is, if you put a DP2m or DP3m on a pano head, you can get similar quality to the Hasselblad at a tiny fraction of the cost for appropriate subjects and without worrying as much about subject movement. Otherwise its a Sony A7r with various lenses.

It is also interesting to ponder what camera I would choose if I could only have one (and I have far too many). It would be hard to resist the DP2M.

Malina DZ

Dp2M is the most compact & light one in my bag. Weight hasn't been an issue for me yet. Frankly, I can make all my cameras deliver disappointing results in file quality :) or make one shine, while the other ashamed of its output. DP Merrills, for example, can't do sports or handheld low-light color shots decently. That's where your other Bayer type camera can excel above and beyond the Merrills. I'm not even touching the availability of ultra-fast glass... To answer the OP question, DP is accompanied with either a850 or P67.

emmef2

The Merrills have slowly become my main cameras. Sometimes they are a pain to use but I like that they force a shooting discipline.
I usually have one or two of them in my bag alongwith an X100s or an E-P5 for casual shooting.

furtle

OMD E-M1 and a few lenses for lower light and moving subject shots.

I had others cameras but they have now all gone incl an Xpan!

biglouis

I now mainly shoot with my A7r and now also an A7s. The main reason is versatility, e.g. the ability to mount FE glass and also Leica M primes.

Now, if only Sigma would do us all a favour an make the next DPxM/Q series an APC compact with a proper mount so that third parties would make us all the adapter we want then I would be in heaven.

I must admit that since acquiring the A7r I have notice how much noisier the DP2 and 3M I have is. That said, I still can't consider selling the Sigma's they are such a big bang for the buck it really is a no brainer.

LouisB

darr

ALPA TC + SK 28 + Hasselblad CFV-50c.
Although not super compact, but much more compact than my ALPA Max plus lenses. :)
I also use my Linhof 6x9 variable focus viewfinder with the TC and DPMs.

furtle

So foveon ?? Actually no, thanks. It's an anomaly that I use only occasionally today. As XpatUsa said, SPP is just a wreckage of code, a wreckage of time and energy. All this energy should be used to lug around real cameras, like D700 ;)[/QUOTE]

Oooo, I think you are being a bit harsh on the Sigmas. The DPMs are troublesome, difficult and frustrating. But at times, they can and do deliver incredible pictures. And for that, I will forgive them every time.

adrewdecourcy

I brought into Canon Full frame and Olympus m4/3, also have many film 35mm and 4x5 prior to the set of three Merrill Dp's. I have hardly used anything other than film and the Foveon since the purchase.
I am puzzled here, one being I have the Nex 5n, that is what I call a disaster. Slow is an under estimate, the Dp's are lightening fast compared to that Sony.
The biggest puzzle being SPP, ok I have a self build windows based pc Asus P9x79-EWS , with the workstation mother board i7 4820k@ 3.70GHz which is a compromise CPU on the board and only 16GB, love to see how it behaves with 64GB) , but SPP from 5.3 through all iterations of SPP6 have been nimbble and certainly not slow, loads fine with sliders reacting in real time. I do read the problems some have on their platforms though.
So no excuse here not to use the Merril's at anything they are suited for.

Last edited:

Hulyss Bowman

Of course the DPm are cool. But today, I wanted an upgrade with the Q and it is not. We have too much good gear around and I prefer so far taking photos than trying to take photos "in a range of limitations". It is ok for one time but at the end, to be polite, it sux. There is so many little cameras out there who can give very good results, and it is increasing. So either Sigma return to serious niche business either I will not push anyone to continue to buy subpar products. At the end I want ppl to be happy, not masochists.

darr

Enough with the Sigma bashing as it is getting old and boring.

I am no expert, but have been a photographic artist my entire work life, and I thank Sigma every day I look at my Foveon work for investing in the technology when no one else would. I have owned and used a lot of expensive gear, but there is no small camera to this day that will replace my three DPMs, and I can have pretty much whatever I need or want regarding cameras.

If someone is not currently using these cameras, please be kind enough not to vomit negativity across a thread that others would otherwise contribute positive information to.

Thank you in advance,
Darr