The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Foveon-Shooters and their other gear

furtle

If someone is not currently using these cameras, please be kind enough not to vomit negativity across a thread that others would otherwise contribute positive information to.

Thank you in advance,
Darr
I may be wrong but I think your comment is aimed at Hulyss. His posts on this thread are full of frustration and added frustration because the Quattro seems to have a question mark hanging over it, whereas. it should have incrementally started to address the shortcomings of the Merrills.

One thing that Hulyss cannot be accused of is not having used the camera. It was Hulyss' beautiful photos and enthusiasm that got me, as a total amateur, using the DP2Merrill.

I think this thread is excellent because it acknowledges that the Sigma shines in specific conditions and seeks feedback on a companion camera for where the Sigma hits a wall.

darr

The topic of this thread is: Foveon-Shooters and their other gear; can we stick to the topic and not use it as a springboard for negative commentary?
Thank you.

Quentin_Bargate

Just to be contrary, I have gone back to shooting with the Merrills. I also shoot with the A7r and various lenses, but I am like a drug addict, I can't kick the Sigma Merrill habit. What a tragedy, therefore, that the Quattros have proved to be weak beer in comparison.

Hulyss Bowman

I'm still shooting with Merrill and sorry if I camp on my positions. I'm straight. I've flooded French forums since 2009 and American forums since 2010 with thousands of Sigma photos from almost all Sigma models. I'm a quite big consumer of Sigma gear but when something go wrong, especially with today brands, it should be voiced hard. Most of you jumped into sigma territory because of Merrill but some of us shoot sigma since prime ages so we see the evolution, in good or bad.

The Japanese brands often never listen. If you want them to give at least 10% attention you need to be a vast crowd (this isn't the case in sigma land) or to be kinda vocal, as I am. I do it, even if I feel alone and nobody care. I care about IQ and Merrill are discontinued.

Once your precious Merrill dead, by natural death or accident, your IQ and wow/fun effect will go to oblivion. I'm just anticipating the future.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, really. But I want Sigma to come public about Quattro problems, addressing the issue, tacking responsibility. Some bought the DPQ with high expectations and came back deceived about IQ... which is one if not the only point of owning whatever sigma gear today : flawless IQ at base ISO.

johnnygoesdigital

The title of the thread itself kind of opens up the debate and the critique of Sigma. Hence the "other gear" reference. I too am disappointed in the Q's and find the Merrils to be quirky, and rather clumsy. They do produce stunning files, for those who like the slower pace, but just because the sensor is different from the bayer array doesn't mean the cameras shouldn't perform to a more normal, up to date standard, so to speak, and that includes the transfer of images too. Obviously, these are not meant to be a primary camera, so the "other gear" reference is valid,but sometimes a little critique is helpful in giving companies feedback on their products.

UHDR

I would be more than happy to jump back onto SD1m if they can add liveview to it. SD1m + 18-35 F1.8 :D

johnnygoesdigital

In fairness to the thread my other gear is a (Chamonix 4x5), XT1 (x100t), and numerous vintage rigs from the 1930's/40's and 50's. Other cameras owned in and around the time I had the DP1m, we're an Ebony 4x5, mamiya RZ,D800, A7.
One could consider the DPM's to be a MFD point and shoot.

pingu666

Maybe a instax camera is a worthwhile ponder, or some film camera, as a companion needs to do something the merrils can't really

I've used a lomo fisheye with them, similar size but way lighter and instant focus cos theres no focus or exposure :)

Maxpace

I also use Nikon D600 + Nikkor 50mm 1.4G (it can't touch my DP3M in some aspects of image quality in my opinion). But let me narrate my experience...

On a trip to Rajasthan, India, I brought both cameras but it was so cumbersome to use both (the results were excellent for both). So, on my trip to Turkey, I only brought the DP3M...and regretted it. It was such a bother to use, especially with the tripod, the viewfinder loupe, the constant changing of batteries etc. I could not shoot in a lot of places I wanted to. So I was cursing myself on bringing the wrong camera to the trip...should have got my D600.

That all changed when I saw the photos. They came out absolutely great, even some of the handheld ones shot at ISO400. So it turned out to be a good photo trip after all.

Istanbul
DP3M1769 by maxx.pace, on Flickr

DP3M1887 - Lanterns in Istanbul by maxx.pace, on Flickr

So really speaking I've resigned myself to bringing both cameras if I don't want to compromise. Maybe a very good bag will make it easier to use both and switch quickly (suggestions welcome).

On another note, am actually very excited with the news of the new 50MP Canon 5DS R. Just saw some samples...still evaluating it and hoping for Nirvana...but don't think we're there yet.

Canon 5DS Sample (large files)
http://canon-premium.webcdn.stream.ne.jp/www09/canon-premium/eosd/samples/eos5dsr/downloads/01.jpg

http://canon-premium.webcdn.stream.ne.jp/www09/canon-premium/eosd/samples/eos5dsr/downloads/02.jpg

gnuyork

I sometimes bring along my Leica X1. The Sigma destroys it as far as image quality, but when I run out of battery, the X1 is there. What I really like about the X1- the dials for aperture and shutter speed, and a button for iso. Also iso 1600 is very useable.

pingu666

for dslr and merril, then optech utility sling for the dslr, with a 3/8ths connector at about 5 to 6 inch length instead of the short uni loop it comes with, and the merril or other small camera on a neck strap over the top. id recommend the optech mirrorless strap, its softer than there other stuff :)

they got a new utility sling duo, but ive not tried that yet, would be a good option too i guess.

Dimych

Here is a list of my equpment in chronological order
1. Sigma SD10 SLR - used a lot with sigma's and other manual lenses. Heavy and limiting. Sold
2. Pentax k5 - do not like the outpout images. Lens broken after falling on stone. :(, sold
3. Kodak SLR\c - In fact i had two of them (one as a spare). Used with canon L lenses and 35mm 1.4 Samyang lens. Both with broken hot shoe. Sold to get money for Phase one.
4. Canon 1Ds Mark II - good, but heavy. Sold to get money for Phase one.
5. Sigma DP2X - great. Sold to get money dp2m.
6. Sigma DP2M - great but couldn't get all from files at that moment. Sold to get money for Phase One.
5. Phase One P25 + 2xHasselblad C500 + lots of good lenses, good, but heavy and too old. Sold.
6. Fujifilm x-pro1 - good one, used for panoraming with manual lenses, but after all, i don't like artificial taste of images.
7. Back to foveon :) Sigma dp1m, dp3m - used a lot, especially dp1m. Sold to get quattro

8. Now i only have one Sigma DP2Q :), planning to buy Sigma 140s flash. Sometimes i borrow Fuji M1 from my daughter to do panoramic images.

gnuyork

Just an observation...I thought the OP was talking about what other gear do we carry with us along with the Sigma... not a list of all of our gear.

What other versatile and relatively compact gear do Foveon shooters put into their average travel bag next to the DPMs without being disappointed with the file quality.

adsf

On holidays i always carry dp2m and RicohGR.
To be honest: I didnt use my DSLR for a VEEERY long time now. Aside from some pass-photos i took for family members.

furtle

I have an Oly OMD E-M1. Just a little test using the Voigtlander 42.5mm F0.95 lens against the DP3M. I did a bit of size adjustment (not very well) to account for the different lenses and both are about a 80% crop.

The E-M1 starts to suffer at 100% crop whereas the DP3M is still good. It's not supposed to be a scientific test just a simple comparison. I think the DP3M wins in this light.

This is the E-M1

https://flic.kr/p/rgVA4fhttps://www.flickr.com/people/80621138@N05/

and this is the DP3M

https://flic.kr/p/rgVAJyhttps://www.flickr.com/people/80621138@N05/