The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma Quattro series - Enduring issues

adrewdecourcy

I am reluctant to add anything to this thread! I am curious about the DP0Q but am somewhat put off by the 'issues', perceived or otherwise of the Quattro range and yet I am seeing some good samples in the threads in this forum.

I have read that the OOC JPEGS are pretty good from the Quattros and that there is a new double-size S-Hi version of this. With regard to the highlight issues in particular, has anyone checked if this occurs in OOC JPEGS as well as via SPP? Is it a general issues or mostly SPP-created?

Lee
All I can say if it helps, is for along time I was put off getting Sigma camera's and in that Hulyss is correct, in when he says such negativity across the web can and does result in people staying clear of such products. On a whole it is also very reasonable too do so as it is often a financial decision which aught not to happen without some thought.
Here I am not going too endorse the DQ0 as I do not have one. But for those years I missed not having a previous model from Sigma I decided to get the Merrills, of which there is also plenty of negativity. Have to say I wished I had not listened too the negativity and got the Merrills or previous camera a lot sooner, as I have subsequently had a lot of enjoyment.
Yes they have their quirks and sometimes results are disappointing. Truth is the most disappointing camera I have ever purchased is a Sony, which everyone raved about at the time, t works both ways.
If I had the funds to justify adding another camera to the many I have I'd not hesitate to acquire the DP0Q tomorrow. Ive seen enough DP01 2 &3 images to see it is a very decent imaging machine and the lens on the DP0 seems superb, I know if I wanted a decent 21mm lens as the Dp0 has, it would cost far more than this whole kit.

apsphoto

I think every camera has quirks and has some sort of issue. No one camera will please everyone. Just human nature. But a camera is a tool, the question is can you get the most out of your tool? The Sigmas make you slow down and be deliberate and when you nail it you can nail it. I have seen some highlight clipping issues at times, but I have gotten in the habit of bracketing shots that seem like they will be worth the effort to blend manually if needed. Sometimes just one of those shots can be adjusted to get a decent result. They take some effort to learn but then that is true with any camera. I tried the DP2Q before it was available for sale with the Sigma trial that they conducted, I had it for 10 days before having to return it. I decided I liked it and ordered one. I am seriously considering adding the DP0Q. I am enjoying it and I struggle at times with it, sometimes I just put it aside for a time and then come back. But I do get results I am happy with.

Colorado fall color by Alan Smallbone, on Flickr

Incoming storm by Alan Smallbone, on Flickr

sunset-land by Alan Smallbone, on Flickr

Give it a try.

Alan

Last edited: