The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone used a "eye-fi" card with a Sigma DP Merrill camera?

mandonbossi

Hi,
Am thinking of purchasing one of the Sigma DP Merill cameras for a walk around camera for architecture/details etc etc..

I have a Sony A7R and have got quite a lot of use out of its wi-fi capability. I mainly use "Autostitch" and have just discovered "SKRWT" which is really cool..

So anybody have any experience of using one of these cards with the Sigma DP Merill series?

Thanks so much in advance!

foveon

I bought a Transcend Wi-Fi card to try to use a handy or tablet as monitor,
and my impression: its slow and it needs a lot of power, a merrill- akku is finished in minutes, maybe 15 maximum,

mandonbossi

Hi foveon,
Thanks so much for that information, greatly appreciated!

On those specifications, am not sure if it is going to do the job unfortunately :(

Thanks again.

I use the 'proper' Eye-Fi card in mine and am totally happy.

But as the files are large it is slow to load.

If you look at the user comments on Amazon you will see that these third party eye-fi clones come out less favourably than the original version.

I also use a http://www.amazon.co.uk/HooToo-TripMate-Wireless-Internal-6000mAh/dp/B00DTPYRTI as a bridge. It adds power to the wifi signalling and it also keeps any tablet less determined to call up other wifi signals that may be around.

I'll explain more if you are interested.

Tony

Last edited:

foveon

IMO the problem is that the hotspot is created by the card and its allways working when the camera is powered.
Dont know the Sony but maybe there is more power in the akku and you can turn on this wi-fi thing just when its needed.

IMO the problem is that the hotspot is created by the card and its always working when the camera is powered.

That is a reason why I use the bridge I mentioned. You can turn the camera off without the worry of the receiving device finding another wifi output to lock into.

In my experience the batteries in the Merrills are constantly running out anyway. This morning I went for a walk with my DP1M and four batteries in my pocket - and that was a short walk..

Tony

pingu666

theres a micro sd adapter one that from my research doesnt slow the host card down, and you can get fast microsd cards now, not that merrils write fast

but normal wifi cards are slow and expensive for large capacity, so thats a alternative

theres a micro sd adapter one that from my research doesnt slow the host card down, and you can get fast microsd cards now, not that merrils write fast

Wifi ?

Sorry. I don't understand.

It is not writing to the card that effects the speed, it is transmitting to the tablet or computer.

Tony

Having just bought myself a new and much faster tablet, the Samsung 12.2, I have tried using both my Sigma Merrill and my Olympus 5 with Eye-Fi.

Yes, the Sigma is noticeably slower but that is because the jpg produced when the camera is set to create RAW+JPG is far larger.

However this does not bother me as I regard the two cameras as being totally different when it comes to speed of shooting. I use the Merrill when I know I will have plenty of time between shots. When I'm not going to have that luxury I turn to the Oly 5.

Given a choice I'd make the Merrill make a smaller jpg but it won't when you want RAW as well.

Tony