The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Decisions....

furtle

So, since I got my hands on these DPxM cameras my other gear has been mostly gathering dust. Today a sold a medium format film camera, a Voigtlander Bessa III and was pleasantly surprised how much I got for it. I could never achieve anything close to the Merrill quality from that camera in spite of getting quality scans from the large 6x7 cm positives.

My other go-to camera is an Olympus OMD E-M1 with various lenses including a couple of Voigtlander f 0.95 primes. And guess what, when I use that camera now, I'm just disappointed at the images. They look ok until you crop them a bit then all clarity and detail is lost.

But before I dismiss the E-M1, it does have a number of merits. It's quite small, reasonable in low light/high iso and has super fast auto focus. So, it works for indoors, parties, circus (Giffords!) etc. What I really want is Merrill quality images from a small camera that I can use in these situations. The E-M1 doesn't deliver this, so, I'm seriously considering flogging it.

So, what options are open to me? Sony A7S? Ricoh GXR? Forget Leica.

Tim

I can relate to your post. I am in a pain of decision here also.

If you look at three mirrorless systems, say the OMD, XT1 and A7 systems, they each have incremental size in sensors but the lenses also get bigger and more expensive almost in alignment, if you get my drift.

I am rethinking my A7II as the IQ is still IMHO not up to DP2M at base ISO. It has some function at high ISOs, so for me I am likely to unload my A7II and go either A7s to gain even better low light or A7r. Sometimes I think jump back to the EM5II, gain a cheap capable range of lenses and live with the IQ. Then its compromise with the Fuji, lovely lenses and better DR but still not complete. I have software processing issues with the Fuji sensor too (the Merrill is no picnic either). The A7s with one lens is an expensive option though. Probably some of the best "different" IQ out there right now, lovely full bodied DR IMO. I love the images from them. I kinda wish I'd kept my EM5. It didnt sell for that much.

This is the problem with the Merrills it ruins everything else. Truth is that at most my print sizes any of the above do a good job, its just that the Merrill is a little bit better.

In the meantime I am enjoying the DP2M and take the Ricoh GR along. I love the freedom of a fixed HQ compact.
I occasionally dream of quitting the whole lot, buy a RX1 and be done. (but I can't part with the GR.. DOH!)
Let us know if you come to any conclusions.

mmbma

So, since I got my hands on these DPxM cameras my other gear has been mostly gathering dust. Today a sold a medium format film camera, a Voigtlander Bessa III and was pleasantly surprised how much I got for it. I could never achieve anything close to the Merrill quality from that camera in spite of getting quality scans from the large 6x7 cm positives.

My other go-to camera is an Olympus OMD E-M1 with various lenses including a couple of Voigtlander f 0.95 primes. And guess what, when I use that camera now, I'm just disappointed at the images. They look ok until you crop them a bit then all clarity and detail is lost.

But before I dismiss the E-M1, it does have a number of merits. It's quite small, reasonable in low light/high iso and has super fast auto focus. So, it works for indoors, parties, circus (Giffords!) etc. What I really want is Merrill quality images from a small camera that I can use in these situations. The E-M1 doesn't deliver this, so, I'm seriously considering flogging it.

So, what options are open to me? Sony A7S? Ricoh GXR? Forget Leica.
I have your same problem and I think I found the solution.

First, a7s is worth a look of you do a lot of indoor shots. Coupled with a good prime it is amazing what it's files can do. Not as much sharpness as a Merrill but so much more rich tonality and DR.

A GR is great for street. It does things the Merrill cannot and you would have shots you wouldn't have without it. The lens is super sharp n that camera.

My final solution was to go down to Nikon DX. I already use FX for work. The files are much better than those I got from m4/3 and a dskr is so much easier to use. Just better in every aspect... Except size.

furtle

I'll keep the E-M1 for a bit and then maybe look at getting the Sony A7S when Sony bring out a new A7S. It's mostly for people pics at gatherings. It's pretty good in low light with the iso cranked up and some fast primes. To be honest, unless they are flawless skinned beauties, most regular folk look pretty dire when photo'd using a Merrill! Gotta to a lot of noise reduction..... So, may as well use the E-M1.