The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Merrill alternative

Malina DZ

Jim, you may find this thread useful in answering your question: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/other-cameras/44690-sigma-sd-dp-merrill-vs-your-other-camera.html
All I can add thus far, after over 2 years of shooting with DP2M, is that there is still no replacement for this little camera's IQ.
Bayer sensor cams are improving each year, but none of them, with Otus mounted, can match the sheer opulence of detail one can capture in Merrill files.
I can make a long list of Merrill's cons far exceeding the number of pros, but choose to deal with those flaws for a reason of unmatched level of detail that my eyes couldn't fathom during capture.
And then explore the files with genuine joy. Even when colors fail to deliver, B&W version will strike like no other conventional sensor, CFA or not.
All of the above within the realm of photographs that a camera with an APS-C sensor, f/2.8-16 lens, iso160 (color) and up to iso1600 (B&W) can deliver.

jmg1949

Thanks again for all of the thoughtful replies. I've come to conclusion that I'm probably asking the wrong question as the DP Merrills appear to quite unique. I've looked through the Sony RX-1 threads and the images are quite stunning. I know that some of you have posted on that forum as well. I think the more reasonable question is whether or not there is a lens that would match up with Sony A7 II that would produce images comparable to the RX-1? That would be a nice image stabilized system with an EVF. Or is it again a unique match of lens and sensor in the RX-1? Perhaps I should post this in the Sony forum as well.
Thanks, Jim