The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

scho

Finally managed to get firmware updated and take a few test shots, in between rain showers (always rains on new camera days):(. This was using fw 1.01 and processing in SPP 6.4. Nice lens, but camera is an ergonomic abomination.

biglouis

Camden Redevelopment - shot through a gap in the security fence this shows the area in front of the old railway viaduct which is going to be transformed into 'Hawley Wharf' and hopefully regenerate the area. In the background you can just see the 'egg cup' details on what was the 'Good Morning' TV studios and is now MTV (which is itself being extensively added to).

HDR shot from a 3 burst auto bracket (hand held).

scho

Just trying out some monochrome workflows using the DP0Q. Shot this using camera monochrome in raw mode. Processed in SPP 6.4 and applied a custom warm/neutral split tone in LR.

Same as above but used a mild selenium/neutral split tone in LR.

furtle

Gloomy Sunday. Broughton Grange, Oxfordshire. Stephen Hester's gaff. Ex CEO RBS bank.

After shooting loads of dp0Q pics, I gotta say, the Quattro images just don't match the Merrill images for every day, practical shooting. Look closely and there is too much noise all over the shadows and no amount of faffing around in SPP and LR solves the problem. And as for photos of people, forget it as skin is either sandpaper or a deathly, Madame Tussauds wax works. I want a dp0 with a Merrill sensor. This dp0 Quattro is the last (new) Sigma camera I'll ever buy until Sigma come to their senses and return to fitting Merrill sensors in their cameras.

https://flic.kr/p/Jw5d74 steven

scho

A field of sunflowers. Developed in SPP 6.4 and processed "Realistic" in Aurora HDR Pro. Colors are over stated, but highlights were preserved with minimal clipping.

Stoneage

A field of sunflowers. Developed in SPP 6.4 and processed "Realistic" in Aurora HDR Pro. Colors are over stated, but highlights were preserved with minimal clipping.
I don't know if it's your style or maybe your monitor is very contrasty, but your images often have strongly lifted shadows which makes them kind of flat. I noticed it in your Merrill and Quattro images. Is this something that you "apply" to your images in general?
(no offence, i'm just interested :thumbup:)

Stoneage

After shooting loads of dp0Q pics, I gotta say, the Quattro images just don't match the Merrill images for every day, practical shooting. Look closely and there is too much noise all over the shadows and no amount of faffing around in SPP and LR solves the problem. And as for photos of people, forget it as skin is either sandpaper or a deathly, Madame Tussauds wax works. I want a dp0 with a Merrill sensor. This dp0 Quattro is the last (new) Sigma camera I'll ever buy until Sigma come to their senses and return to fitting Merrill sensors in their cameras.
Yeah. I just sold my dp0 Quattro.
I have to say, it's a good feeling now that i can concentrate in photography again instead of testing and fighting and trying to like it.
Quattro isn't for me, its image quality isn't good enough for my purposes.

furtle

"Testing and fighting and trying to like it.
Quattro isn't for me, its image quality isn't good enough for my purposes"

This. The same for me. Producing the photo shouldn't be so difficult and when it is done, the doubts over quality remain.

Sometimes, if the Gods Line up, the dp0 can deliver but only for select subject matters. The trouble is it disappoints more often than it satisfies.

I'm sure if you are one to take pics of charts, stone walls and cats etc you can prove the Quattro is the best Sigma camera ever made but in practical day to day use it is just frustrating, particularly as I know I don't have those frustrations with my DP2 &3 Merrills.

I'm keeping my dp0 because the lens is great and in a very narrow field of operation it can work. And who knows, Sigma may finally give us a version of SPP that we can live with for processing more that half a dozen pics in one session before we go nuts and a version that improves the final image quality.

scho

I don't know if it's your style or maybe your monitor is very contrasty, but your images often have strongly lifted shadows which makes them kind of flat. I noticed it in your Merrill and Quattro images. Is this something that you "apply" to your images in general?
(no offence, i'm just interested :thumbup:)
Sorry, can't help you. My monitor is calibrated with normal contrast and brightness. The Sigma images do not look any different to my other images in terms of contrast and do not appear "flat" looking to me.

Stoneage

Sorry, can't help you. My monitor is calibrated with normal contrast and brightness. The Sigma images do not look any different to my other images in terms of contrast and do not appear "flat" looking to me.
Thanks. Yes, "flat" is maybe not the right word. It's more like an HDR look. Could be a processing style, i don't know. If you look at "furtle's" last image in this thread (the shadows), then it's obvious what i mean.
Again, non-judgemental.

scho

Thanks. Yes, "flat" is maybe not the right word. It's more like an HDR look. Could be a processing style, i don't know. If you look at "furtle's" last image in this thread (the shadows), then it's obvious what i mean.
Again, non-judgemental.
I see what you mean. I like to preserve shadow detail and do not like clipping to pure black in the shadows just to get more contrast, particularly with foveon sensors - too stark looking for my taste. I don't use HDR very often (exception was the last sunflowers image) except where needed to balance the scene