The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

Hulyss Bowman

I have something against inconsistency and, with Sigma, we fall right in it.

So, since day one when I got the DP2Q for test I seen a change, and not a good change. Every month or so, you can objectively see that the DP popularity is vanishing in the air like Martian atmosphere.

On LuLa, it is dead. Here, it is almost dead. On DPR we reach new levels of mediocrity and propaganda every day. In France it is dead (since day one of Quattro). In china it is almost invisible, so dead. In Russia it started to be coherent but it is dead today...

Now come the DP0Q, awkward moment for an awkward item, bundled with the LVF-01 for the same price as the DP3Q (at least in Europe). That mean, 2 months after launch, that some ppl will get this finder for free while other bought it plain price, reaching 1160 € for a DP + finder.

DP0Q = 949 WITH viewfinder.

SPP will never cure the noise in the top layer (because there is noise at base ISO in the blue channel, the only channel who should be noise free ...). As I said it is structural / physical, not software tweakable.

On the lens side, SIGMA do well BUT I start to smell that the wow factor is going to an end. needed a new 50, tested the SIGMA and others and went out with the Nikon 50 f1.8 BECAUSE it is light, quick, very very sharp, perfectly compatible and weather sealed (for 130 €......).

I fail to understand why the apple felt so far from the tree, despite the appearances.

The old "pragmatic" user base went from total revelation to total deception and this is VISIBLE all around the world via forums. People are not happy with this products and, sadly, we can't really work around on certain features to cure that (like we did with the Merril line).

Quentin_Bargate

Hulyss

I'm impressed by Sigma's lens line. No longer are they only purchased by those who cannot afford marque lenses. In many cases they are better than marque, but at a lower price.

They also innovate. They have just announced an F/2, 24-35mm wide-angle zoom, for example. Of course, there will be marque lenses that are better, or lighter, but that is no longer the norm. They are genuine alternatives to Marque lenses in quality as well as in price. Sigma have transformed themselves for the better.

With regard to the Quattro's, the major issue for me has been unpredictable highlight clipping. Nonetheless, I'd like to test a DP0Q.

The Merrills still have a lot of life in them, and I use mine as my main cameras.

I agree the excitement and anticipation has largely gone with the Quattros. A clever idea let down by an apparently inferior sensor design. Still, one hopes Sigma are paying attention and will react accordingly.

Hulyss Bowman

Still, one hopes Sigma are paying attention and will react accordingly.
The new sigma lens line is very good but not finished, IMO. Weather selling for outdoor shoots in every conditions, or at least a rubber band on the mount... even sony do it. It is also not light, at all, and I see a lot of ppl "calibrating" the lenses (I never had to do it yet with Nikon lenses).

I stay pragmatic.

So I hope SIGMA pay attention and stop what they started lately : wrongly positioned marketing.

I remember what was SIGMA by the time of the DP2 and I see what is SIGMA now, few years later : The evolution have good sides but also a lot of fails.

SIGMA used to be more discrete, more refined, more about Art and emotions. Now it is ALL about business.

When the Merrills was launched it was just fantastic. A real event, real results, some little flaws but still... a big wow all around the world. All of this because of this original discretion and modesty.

This is gone.

SIGMA used to be, for photography, what Tenkara is to fly fishing (I'm fishing Tenkara). Now SIGMA is fly fishing.

apsphoto

I agree with Quentin, the biggest problem with the Quattro is the highlight clipping. I feel they could maybe control it better with new firmware for the camera and some better post processing. It really is too bad that Sigma cannot be more like Fuji and update the cameras and improve them with better firmware and hardware control. There is some potential for the cameras. I am vaguely interested in the Dp0 Quattro. I have the DP2Q and DP3 Merril. There has been some improvement with SPP but I would like to see more. For me it is a love/hate relationship, maybe if there was more third party raw support things might change. I sure do hope the Sigma looks at any of these threads and forums. Some much potential but not enough realization...

Alan

adrewdecourcy

The distortion control is impressive for a 21mm equivalent lens.
Too bad Merrill line didn't get the lens.
Yes my initial thoughts about the lens quality. Something I'd hoped for and they appear to have delivered. Certainly impressed me enough to give the purchase od a Dp0 some serious thought.

biglouis

I think I can fairly claim to be a consistent Sigma DPxM supporter.

So, I've checked out the images and... ahem... I am a bit underwhelmed.

Normally, with a Sigma image there is a certain factor. I call it the FM factor. You open a photo up and your first thought is f... me, that is fantastic!

These have blow highlights, oof edges which I am worried are smeary rather than oof and the detailed areas are for the first time no better and in some cases worse than my A7R when I use it with the CV Ultron 21mm.

I open these samples up and my first thought is: good, I can spend the money elsewhere.

I will await Quentin's samples and anticipate they will blow me away (I hope).

BTW, I am not trolling but I would be interested to know which samples do wow people.

LouisB

AMENDED: OK, I went back and looked again at the samples. In fact I think they are now better than my original judgement. I so want this to be a good camera - for me 21mm is a staple angle of view and a good Sigma camera might make up for having to let my Hasselblad SWC go (too tired of film workflow).

Hopefully we will see more samples in the coming days or weeks.

LouisB

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

I have asked Sigma to let me test the camera. I doubt I will get a favorable response, even though those close to them accept I helped boost sales for the Merrills when I started the first thread on the DP2M here in late 2012.

Some of the sample shots I have seen for the DP0 Quattro are, in my opinion, execrable - not representative of the sort of work the camera was presumably designed for.

Stoneage

I think we all know the shortcomings of Quattro. After a few updates (Firmware/SPP) i see some minor improvements regarding how very bright lights clip. (slightly improved "roll off" of highlights) and maybe a bit less green/magenta color blotching in grey areas, but the main issues, or the main character of Quattro is still there and will not change anymore, i'm sure. So we have the fine sand noise and the highlight clipping, and some other things that i don't like.
My main interest in the DP0Q is the lens, and after seeing the samples i think the lens is good (better than DP1m/q) So i still can hope for a good wide angle lens for my SD1.

biglouis

I have asked Sigma to let me test the camera. I doubt I will get a favorable response, even though those close to them accept I helped boost sales for the Merrills when I started the first thread on the DP2M here in late 2012.

Some of the sample shots I have seen for the DP0 Quattro are, in my opinion, execrable - not representative of the sort of work the camera was presumably designed for.
They ought to give you one for free, Quentin! You have single-handedly kept most of the threads here going.

I only wish they would incorporate end-user feedback into their designs. Then we'd have our holy-grail, the full frame DP.

LouisB

furtle

Pink bales of haylage! Who'd of thunk it? This was taken at 1/250 at f14 and I think it's got camera shake. It was really windy and I was being buffeted about. This is developed in SPP6.3 at -1.0 sharpness. the noise reduction backed fully off and I used the Landscape colour mode which made the image in SPP look really saturated, so, I backed off a bit in Lightroom and that was the only adjustment in LR. I'm still experimenting as using a 21mm equiv focal length is very unfamiliar to me.

biglouis

Quentin

Companies are weird and stupid. I was frustrated recently by the poor test images from a famous lens manufacturer taken in London by someone who was not a resident, even of this country. I pointed out to them that as I knew London like the back of my hand I could take their lenses to places that would create powerful, compelling images (as indeed you could, as well). As expected, no response. Instead they'd rather have someone whose knowledge of London extends to tired landmarks shot on overcast days as a way of selling their product. Ho hum.

LouisB

furtle

A couple more 'snaps' from the Q0. Honington, Warwickshire. I think the colours are a bit better than the Merrills and I've done nothing to them in SPP or LR nor any lens adjustments. There is no questioning the sharpness of the lens. The lower photo is the 21:9 in-camera crop which is such a great feature; this is my new Xpan!

I do think camera shake is something I need to take great care about, even at up to 1/200th. It really isn't helpful holding the camera, with such a long lens, out in front of you just to be able to squint at the screen. I'll look for an optical view finder which will go some way to resolving this issue. Not the loupe as I don't need that and it looks bloody weird. I'm definitely keeping this camera and the great thing is, I'm still learning.

biglouis

Andrew

Your results are improving with use so my original reaction - not to your skill, I hasten to add but to the image quality - is moderating.

The bridge and the electricity pylon are a bit more like it.

It would still be good to see these larger.

Do you have a Flickr account?

LouisB

furtle

Hello Loius

Tis me, Steven, posting the DP0Q photos. The camera is a learning curve for me on many levels, so, I'm pleased to read your comments. I do have a Flickr account here https://www.flickr.com/cameraroll

You'll have to excuse a lot of photos I dump on there for family etc to see.

I'm uploading a couple of DP0Q .x3f files for you to download and play with; the recent photos of the pylon and the bridge. I would be interested in your opinion.