The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP0Q New Images

furtle

For those of you interested in the upcoming DP0Q, photographyblog has published some new photos including some.xf3 files to download.

I'm really interested in this camera for photos of the built environment and 'hopefully' low light, evening, tripod cityscapes. I find stitching is hit and miss with these photos. To be honest, I'll probably risk getting a Q0 even though I know the Q has 'enduring' issues.

Link here http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/sigma_dp0_quattro_photos/

furtle

Here is one of the full size raw files I downloaded and converted in SPP and saved as a 16 bit tiff and then a jpeg. Below that is a crude crop to 'zoom' in. I deliberately choose a difficult lighting photo. I developed the raw Sigma file at 0 for all settings and the same in LR when converting to a jpeg for this website. I'm not impressed. I think the Merrill would have been better. The original photo was at 1/500 f4.0 and iso 100.

adrewdecourcy

Thanks Furtle.
I will get this camera at some point, not yet, I'd like to pay the price the other Quattro's have dropped too, whenever that will be.

furtle

I went back to SPP and opened the same pic again and adjusted the sharpness and fill light to +1. I set the noise reduction to the centre spots. Below are the full size pic and a slight less severe crop. In LR is added some sharpness and clarity. Any better?

The photos is very distortion free but I'm pretty sure my O-MD E-M1 with its 12mm (24mm equiv) lens could do as well.

adrewdecourcy

I went back to SPP and opened the same pic again and adjusted the sharpness and fill light to +1. I set the noise reduction to the centre spots. Below are the full size pic and a slight less severe crop. In LR is added some sharpness and clarity. Any better?

The photos is very distortion free but I'm pretty sure my O-MD E-M1 with its 12mm (24mm equiv) lens could do as well.

Furtle I cannot really comment on the images you processed, to make anything like a valid comparison you have to have taken the said image at the same time by the two or more camera you wish to compare. That is not to say this cannot be an area of discussion. By only going by or saying certain light evaluations, or shot at such and such an iso, shutter speed and so on, as if to say a low iso and fast shutter read out means good light is not always the case, especially in such an environment as this above image was shot in. I've had the EM-5 since it first hit the shelves and the brilliant primes, the 75, the 45, 25 and so on. I'd be highly sceptical that the EM1 and 12mm would have got anything near the detail of the image above. Now what I say is pure speculation of course as with yourself, but the sensors in the Olympus cameras as far as noise readout are pretty bad and the added smudging you get from the bayer sensor leaves me un-moved almost every time I process a raw ORF file, when it comes too the aesthetics of the rendering .
The image above is very noisy for some, for myself not a problem, I'd not even try to smudge the image or as it's more commonly called, give it noise reduction.
I do respect your views and time put in here though, as it does come down to taste.

furtle

Thank you for your comments. I just have a hunch the O-MD with the 12mm wouldn't be far off but I do take your point that the small Oly sensor gets noisy quickly. Still, I've sold all that gear now, so, I'll never know! I sold it partly because the Merrills are so good in good light and I don't really shoot much above 75mm. For low/lower light people/party/shows etc I recently got a Sony A7S with some old Minolta manual legacy lenses. This could be good where the Merrills fall away.

The Sigma file I downloaded for this image certainly didn't pop as much (or at all!) when it was 'developed' in SPP compared with the Merrill files.

The good thing is that some images are now appearing on the web for us to examine. It could be this Q0 needs a tripod for these kinds of photos and we will have to practice a lot with the camera. I'm sure the lens is fine and I have seen some really sharp photos with good colours from other Qs, so, I still hoping this Q0 will be something very special.

Last edited:

adrewdecourcy

I still have my EM-5 and sadly every time I take it out it disappoints. Yet i will use it for a charity swimming event in August. The event ends after the sun has dipped and I shoot the swimmers leaving the water up a slip as the sun disappears, about 350 to 400 raw shots in a short time at iso 1000 @ f1.8 , so I have no option, the Merrill's cannot cope.It's the lone reason I still have that gear, my 5DMK2 struggles although the output is much cleaner. I'd love your A7s just the sort of thing it is designed for.
So yes for differing situations different cameras excel or at least work well. I am sure this will be the case with the Sigma Q0 for those occasions as with the Merrill's.
I do kind of like the out put, from what I've seen of the Q's. Often I find the Merrill's to harsh, to illustrative, when I first got the DP3m, my first mindful response was, they have an analytical output, something which can make good for certain documentary photography and certainly textures, a good sensor to record objects and the materials of this world. When looking at the Q's output I see the problems with the unrecoverable sudden blown highlights, but I also see something unique as well, which is a high resolving ability with a subtler output than the Merrill's. A big shame about the blow outs though.

rjp85

I have to admit, I'm impressed with the lens on the DP0. It's just the sensor I'm not a fan of. It's too noisy at base ISO, and the IQ is halfway between Bayer and Foveon. I'd rather buy a high MP DSLR with Zeiss lenses over any Quattro (of course, that's in a different price range).

In the meantime, I still enjoy all three of my DP Merrills.

Hulyss Bowman

(of course, that's in a different price range).
This price range delta will translate in world wide support with raw softwares, often weather sealing, huge lens selection (even sigma lenses), versatility like clean ISO, dynamic range and real AF. That mean that when you want to take a shoot, the shoot is done. A photographer will prefer to have the shoot rather than trying to master a wishful thinking camera.

Nikon understood that they had to make an inexpensive growing lens line (f1.8) to avoid ppl looking at third party, problematic lenses. Now with sigma the 50 is at ... 750 $ ? I can prove any day that the 100$ nikon 50f1.8 is probably 10% weaker than the 50 art. With good software technique you reduce this delta to 5%.

Reality vs marketing. Reality win.

Maybe Sigma understood the message (wishful thinking) and work on new sensor design to try to save this utter fiasco named quattro (because it is).

It's Friday, the ranting day. It is also Fryday because just caught a beautiful trout.

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

For those of you interested in the upcoming DP0Q, photographyblog has published some new photos including some.xf3 files to download.

I'm really interested in this camera for photos of the built environment and 'hopefully' low light, evening, tripod cityscapes. I find stitching is hit and miss with these photos. To be honest, I'll probably risk getting a Q0 even though I know the Q has 'enduring' issues.

Link here Sigma DP0 Quattro Sample Images | PhotographyBLOG
Excellent sharpness, same blown highlight issues. See e.g. image 23, where the middle and top of the Shard is washed out, and would be irrecoverable. I can imagine that this would be a very good compact architecture camera if used on a tripod with bracketing. Less good handheld in high contrast situations where the quattro sensor is pretty poor.

Quentin_Bargate

This image 23, which I downloaded in Raw and decoded using Photo Pro 6.3. Exposure -0.5, X3 Fill +0.6, -0.8 sharp, noise sliders middle position, also tweaked in Photoshop. what i see is

- Excellent sharpness accross the frame, so its a good lens

- Quite a lot of noise in the shadows.

- Decent colour with little evidence of "blotching"

- blown highlights at top of the Shard building / sky

Link to image is here (warning: full size jpeg file, saved at 11 in Photoshop).