The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New here.. some dp3Q shots.

Paul Monaghan

Hi all.

I've been reading on and off here for a while now and in fact it was reading and viewing images on this site that started me on my Foveon journey and left my pentax stuff gathering dust most of the time.

While I have been shooting with Merrill cameras for a while now, I just wanted to take some time and share some random shots of an old plastic watch, some outdoor stuff and a few studio shots that I have taken with the Dp3Q.

SDIM2710newfb.jpg

SDIM2010fb.jpg

SDIM0049fb.jpg

SDIM2515fb.jpg

SDIM2826fb.jpg

SDIM2780fb.jpg

SDIM2651fb.jpg

SDIM3055.jpg

And lastly a self portrait.

SDIM001922fbsquare.jpg

Overall I'm rather enjoying the camera and really like the new backwards grip, sensor wise it is different it has quality I like but I also miss that Merrill look.

The quality of work on this forum is outstanding so hopefully my images don't disappoint, I Will be happy to answer any questions anyone has as I always like to help people when I can.

Well done Paul,

I was worried when I saw the first four frames. The close up with big bokeh (sadly replicated a thousand times on this forum) and two landscapes that, nice though they were, could have been taken on my wife's Ricoh GR.

Then some unusual and imaginative images that (a) were out of the ordinary and (b) clearly could not be the work of a GR. Lovely and clearly the work of a pro.

It is hard to show, on any web site, the true difference between a foveon image and a conventional one - but these last shots at least prove that, in the hands of a pro, foveon certainly holds its own.

Keep posting Paul. You are an inspiration (to me at least).

Tony

Paul Monaghan

Well done Paul,

I was worried when I saw the first four frames. The close up with big bokeh (sadly replicated a thousand times on this forum) and two landscapes that, nice though they were, could have been taken on my wife's Ricoh GR.

Then some unusual and imaginative images that (a) were out of the ordinary and (b) clearly could not be the work of a GR. Lovely and clearly the work of a pro.

It is hard to show, on any web site, the true difference between a foveon image and a conventional one - but these last shots at least prove that, in the hands of a pro, foveon certainly holds its own.

Keep posting Paul. You are an inspiration (to me at least).

Tony
Thank you!

The first four images really are just snapshots while I was walking around with the camera, I've been testing it against my k3 and I personally feel at low iso the Merrills and Quattros are much better for what I do anyway, I did try using the Quattro last night at iso400 in not so good lighting and it didn't fair as well as I had hoped with the k3 (admittedly with an f1.4 prime lens) doing much better.

Still the reason I love Foveon is for times when I'm setting up shots and using low iso and for that I don't think I would want anything else really :D, except well a larger Foveon sensor :D