The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma SPP - stay with 5.5 or move to 6.4?

NigelC

There is no possibility whatsoever of me buying Quattros - I am happy with Merrills, especially after finding wide adaptor works, after a fashion, on DP1m. For Merrills, are there any advantage/disadvantages in moving to latest version of SPP, which I understand is mainly for Quattros. I am using PC, not Mac.

xpatUSA

There is no possibility whatsoever of me buying Quattros - I am happy with Merrills, especially after finding wide adaptor works, after a fashion, on DP1m. For Merrills, are there any advantage/disadvantages in moving to latest version of SPP, which I understand is mainly for Quattros. I am using PC, not Mac.
Hi Nigel,

The big one for many folks over on DPR is this:

If you open a Merrill X3F in 6.x and make any adjustment at all, your X3F becomes incompatible with 5.x

The X3F gives an error when trying to be re-opened in, e.g., 5.5.3

Based on that, I will never have 6.x on my Windows computer.

Life was a lot simpler with the SD9 . . :)

apsphoto

If you are worried about going back just make a backup copy of your raw images before using the latest SPP. It will modify the header and the older SPP has problems with the settings. However there are some advantages with the new SPP, it is much faster, there is a batch processing mode. I am happy with the newer SPP but then I have a DP2Q and a DP3M. It is free, you can install it and run it side by side, just back up the original raws. Try it for yourself and see what differences it makes for you, that is sometimes better than getting opinions from the internet.

Alan