The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Kinotehnik

Jeffg53

I just took the plunge on a Sigma DP2M. I want to get a Kinotehnik viewer for it. My assumption is that I need the LCDVF 32. Can someone please confirm that as the right model?

Jeffg53

That's crazy. Is there no difference between them? I am struggling to understand a 40x price difference.

adrewdecourcy

That's crazy. Is there no difference between them? I am struggling to understand a 40x price difference.
There usually is a difference if not always. Cheap version often at the low prices dont have diopter adjustment capabilities and instead have a cheap static lens, so in practice if that's what you wish, make your own out of some black card and a cheap plastic lens. You may get away with the cheap ones if they happen too be adjusted to your eye sight. Yes you pay more for quality adjustable ones after all it is important too see the screen with full clarity.

Jeffg53

Thanks Andrew. My inclination is to get the Kinotehnik. I may buy an Ebay one just to see how much difference there really is.

adrewdecourcy

Thanks Andrew. My inclination is to get the Kinotehnik. I may buy an Ebay one just to see how much difference there really is.
Maybe at those prices try a cheap one first and see , not a lot too lose. I know the Hoodman brand have diopters, not sure if the Kinotehnik do or not.
Best luck anyway.

Jeffg53

Thanks Andrew. I'm out of runway, unfortunately. I'm off to Skye in a week. I had no intention of buying any new gear until a friend showed me some files from the DP2M while pointing out to me that the cameras are stupidly cheap in Oz now.

adrewdecourcy

Thanks Andrew. I'm out of runway, unfortunately. I'm off to Skye in a week. I had no intention of buying any new gear until a friend showed me some files from the DP2M while pointing out to me that the cameras are stupidly cheap in Oz now.
Yes I got the Merrils when cheap and am now waiting on the Quattro's too have a significant price drop. It may not come arrive but cannot wait too get the DpQ if it does.
When i first got the Merrill's I looked around and saw many LCD viewer's as I had trouble at times viewing the screen. Now it is not a problem, I think I've adjusted and cannot remember the last time I had a problem with it. Although we have a touch less sun than yourself.

hot

Maybe at those prices try a cheap one first and see , not a lot too lose. I know the Hoodman brand have diopters, not sure if the Kinotehnik do or not.
Best luck anyway.
KinoTehnik has NO diopter ... it's only expensive plastic :)
Cheap LCD viewers often also have no diopter, but glass lens (4cm diameter) ... $8 or less ...
There are foldable LCD viewers with diopter.

"Designed in Germany, made in China" :)

I am using different LCD viewers ..

... or this simple viewer ($10 incl.ship.)

Jeffg53

Yes I got the Merrils when cheap and am now waiting on the Quattro's too have a significant price drop. It may not come arrive but cannot wait too get the DpQ if it does.
When i first got the Merrill's I looked around and saw many LCD viewer's as I had trouble at times viewing the screen. Now it is not a problem, I think I've adjusted and cannot remember the last time I had a problem with it. Although we have a touch less sun than yourself.
True on the sun, but my first outing is Skye and Harris in a week

Jeffg53

KinoTehnik has NO diopter ... it's only expensive plastic :)
Cheap LCD viewers often also have no diopter, but glass lens (4cm diameter) ... $8 or less ...
There are foldable LCD viewers with diopter.

"Designed in Germany, made in China" :)

I am using different LCD viewers ..

... or this simple viewer ($10 incl.ship.)

Can you point me at one for the DP2M and the D800 that you would recommend? There are zillions on Ebay and I would like to buy with a little confidence. I'm buying the Kinotehnik now because I am out of time but I'd like to try the Ebay one.

hot

I cannot see differencies between (overpriced) Kinotehnik and other similar viewers.
Often they are produced by same manufacturer, but sold by dealers for phantasy prices.