The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some more images taken with the DP0Q

biglouis

They are well composed and executed photographs but I still see some of the issues that troubled me when I briefly owned the DP0Q.

Firstly, I found the images, even stopped down, to be somewhat soft overall. I can see it in the sea scape with the boulders. I'd be interested to see the exif data to know what f-stop was used.

Secondly, I found skin tones could be very odd on occasion. This is not so apparent when seen as a whole in a resized photo (smaller) but at 100% I saw a lot of artefacts which made skin look blotchy. I think I can see it in some of the faces in the balloons photograph.

To be clear, I am not criticising the photography just the issues I can see with the camera. I'd be very interested to know your workflow.

LouisB

Lea Tippett

They are well composed and executed photographs but I still see some of the issues that troubled me when I briefly owned the DP0Q.

Firstly, I found the images, even stopped down, to be somewhat soft overall. I can see it in the sea scape with the boulders. I'd be interested to see the exif data to know what f-stop was used.

Secondly, I found skin tones could be very odd on occasion. This is not so apparent when seen as a whole in a resized photo (smaller) but at 100% I saw a lot of artefacts which made skin look blotchy. I think I can see it in some of the faces in the balloons photograph.

To be clear, I am not criticising the photography just the issues I can see with the camera. I'd be very interested to know your workflow.

LouisB
Hi LouisB.

Glad you like the images :D

As for the DP0 Quattro, I personally have been impressed with the lens sharpness pretty well across the frame.

I have had the DP2Q and currently have the DP1Q also but i have never really taken to either of these two cameras compared to the DP0Q. Regarding the Seascape image with the boulders in the foreground, the boulders may not be tack sharp possibly due to the high wind on the

day and the long shutter speed i used while taking the image. (image shot @ f8 30s exposure time)

I set up most of my Landscape images using hyperlocal distance to try to ensure as much sharpness from foreground to infinity.

Personally like many i'm a Merrill fan as i love the rendering of skies with this sensor but i have now slowly warmed to the DP0Q which has been my go to camera of late due to the great lens.

I also have had to modify my workflow over time as the Foveon has evolved from the SD9 through to the Quattro.

Unfortunately i'm the first to admit i'm no techie guru or pixel peeper and i always judge my work on the finished print and in that respect any of the Sigma /Foveon incarnations over the years have always surpassed my expectations.

I will post a few images from the DP1 Merrill i'd like to know what you think.

Kind regards Lea.

biglouis

Lea

Thanks for the response. I'm glad you didn't take my comments as criticism of your photographic skills.

Understanding the long exposure explains what I see as a reduction of sharpness. I was also intrigued with your technique because like you I tend to use ND grads to balance the sky on my Merrills and for the short time I had it with the DP0Q as well.

I may well purchase another DP0Q in the future. The prices are falling and while I don't wish Sigma any financial ill, I suspect the price will fall quite substantially at some point as stores try to move out their inventory. At a lower price point I would have another DP0Q and just accept some of its constraints. After all, there is no other UWA for the Sigma compacts.

Thanks again for the additional information and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

LouisB

Lea Tippett

Great stuff Lea. I follow your images on DPR but they seem to look even better here :)

Lee
Thanks Lee,

Funny i noticed the images look a little cleaner or pop out a little more on this site.

I thought my eyes were playing games with me so I'm glad that you think the same as i do.

I noticed your in Devon, i frequently pop down to Dartmoor for a day shooting Landscape on the moors so if you ever fancy a meet up and shoot or just a chat

about everything Sigma/Foveon it would be great :D

I live in Taunton so i'm at Princetown in about an hour or so.

Kind regards Lea.

Lea Tippett

Lea

Thanks for the response. I'm glad you didn't take my comments as criticism of your photographic skills.

Understanding the long exposure explains what I see as a reduction of sharpness. I was also intrigued with your technique because like you I tend to use ND grads to balance the sky on my Merrills and for the short time I had it with the DP0Q as well.

I may well purchase another DP0Q in the future. The prices are falling and while I don't wish Sigma any financial ill, I suspect the price will fall quite substantially at some point as stores try to move out their inventory. At a lower price point I would have another DP0Q and just accept some of its constraints. After all, there is no other UWA for the Sigma compacts.

Thanks again for the additional information and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

LouisB
Thanks LouisB

Yes Sigma cameras have a history of dropping in price quite quickly i must agree, although i have noticed the DP Merrill's now keep their second hand value reasonably well :D

I'm pretty sure Sigma are looking at something new in regards to a larger size DSLR but we will see i guess.

Their latest global vision lenses are having great success and have a great reputation for sharpness and superb performance so if a camera can be produced with a Foveon sensor to exploit these lenses to their fullest
i'm sure it would be a good move on Sigma's part.

One of the major stumbling blocks is being able to process the vast amount of information from a larger Foveon sensor quick enough.

I will look through at some images i shot using the DP1M after visiting Skye earlier in the year and post a few.

Over the years i think we all have our favourite cameras that we have grown to love.

My all time favourite is my SD9 which i bought second hand for £600 pounds in 2004 and i still have to this day.

I used to shoot three bracketed shots and blend them together, i still have images that i shot with the SD9 and 15-30EX lens that are my favourite and still hold up well against todays cameras printed at A2.

The prints have a unique look that says SD9 and they show exceptional detail and 3D "pop" which i have never quite managed to replicate again using any other camera.

Yes the SD9 has limitations obviously but that camera will always be a keeper to me along with the superb 15-30EX lens.

I'm getting nostalgic!

Kind regards Lea.