The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Little Sigma interview -

Tim

Some interesting comments..

So which one is the bestselling model?
A: dp2 is the highest by far. Over 50% than other three models.

So would you change the design of the next generation dp series?
I’m not sure, we haven’t discussed yet.

How did you investigate the customer’s need?
I usually check the forum. I didn’t join them. I just watch, and to guess what’s the customer’s need.

Which forum? where do I sign to be able to pass on what I would like?

I wish they would also recognize that high ISO is not really a Foveon strong point and continue with IQ as the main importance.
They should dump the Q's Boveon or Fayer design and go back to the original Foveon with the Q's replacement.
The Q body was interesting, now dump it and build something more akin to the RX1 in size.

The one think they are doing right is the simple software options in camera, no face detection etc.

foveon

...They should dump the Q's Boveon or Fayer design and go back to the original Foveon with the Q's replacement.....
I hope you mean "back to the Merrill"^^

and Sigma, please add working live view and and tiltable monitor

Hulyss Bowman

I think they "sometimes" read the forum, after a new product is launched. They look at the headlines if a problem is spotted and are more focused on lenses than cameras.

For every requests, in a moderate way, you can ask intelligently what you want directly at Sigma. I think it is the best way for them to monitor opinions and ideas.

How ? The tittle of your subject should be simple, like : "My point of view about the QUATTRO" or "Why I like the Merrill more" ...

Your argumentation should be civilian and coherent, backed by some numbers if possible.

Just send the @mail at [email protected] and please do not spam !

Tim

Thank you for the address Hulyss, I will send them some polite ideas.

Thank you foveon, I did mean back to the Merrill type sensor.

Here is my take. The Foveon has what some perceived as low light issues.
My understanding is larger photo sites can improve this, so, the Q replacement should have larger sensor, say full frame and less pixels than the Merrill. My hope is that this would get us more ISO. I also think the base IQ should be very pleasing. Don't forget the blue channel BW trick on the Merrill can manage ISO4000.

Other requests are, inbuilt OVF or EVF. An OVF should be "easy" for a single focal length camera. Some basic shooting info in the OVF welcome.
A tilt screen, weather sealing and write to DNG format. The last request is for the camera to be as small as possible. Say RX1 size. Then it can pack in my backpack for long walks.

Hulyss Bowman

If SIGMA do what they "say" it is possible. They want to stay simple ? They want to stay close to what is photography ? Then yes, MegaPixels aren't the answer. A 12MP FF 1/1/1 foveon can be a revolution even today. Just 12 Mp and the art lenses ... and why not the first Sigma TS lense with it ?

Even Pentax have a FF now (about time).

Sigma just can't stay APS-C too long. The basic rule "Lesser is the enlargement the better the picture" is still true today and will still true tomorrow.

foveon

For me high ISO isnt a must have. Better is a faster lens, the light that doesnt come in TTL cannot be replaced by electronic amplifying^^

Stoneage

I don't want less resolution than what i get with the Merrill today. So in my opinion a full frame Foveon should be at least 18-22MP. Those pixels would be still much larger and should improve low ISO cleanliness, high ISO performance and dynamic range.
Although i'm not a great fan of the Quattro concept, my main concern with it is not the color resolution or color blotching but the strange luminance noise most likely coming from the top layer.
20MP on a APS-C sized sensor seems not to work properly anymore for the Foveon. But 20MP on full frame should solve this issue. Maybe even with the Quattro structure for faster processing.

Swissblad

Just saw this interview on PhotoRumors - most interesting - refreshingly humble - enough to entice me to buy another ART lens.

24mm f1.4 anyone?

:cool:

xpatUSA

Some interesting comments..

So which one is the bestselling model?
A: dp2 is the highest by far. Over 50% than other three models.

DP2M, I think?

So would you change the design of the next generation dp series?
I’m not sure, we haven’t discussed yet.

How did you investigate the customer’s need?
I usually check the forum. I didn’t join them. I just watch, and to guess what’s the customer’s need.
Which forum? where do I sign to be able to pass on what I would like?
I think plural was meant. Otherwise it is likely to be DPR. Lots more whining there ;)

I wish they would also recognize that high ISO is not really a Foveon strong point and continue with IQ as the main importance.
They should dump the Q's Boveon or Fayer design and go back to the original Foveon with the Q's replacement.
The Q body was interesting, now dump it and build something more akin to the RX1 in size.

The one thing they are doing right is the simple software options in camera, no face detection etc.
Indeed. I've long held the opinion that the Merrill (F20 sensor, 5um pitch) represents a limit in spite of those who want more, more, more MP. I view the raw data for my SD1M often - and the higher levels, especially blues, look horrible with missing levels and funny patterns: due to look-up tables in-camera, I'm told by a member of the RawTherapee X3F team. None such is visible in SD14 files (F13 sensor, 7.8um pitch). I would love to see the circuit improvement of the Merrill (much lower transistor count = bigger fill factor; and more) applied to a ~7,8um pixel pitch. Maybe full-frame, maybe not.

But then, I don't print, so 2640x1760px is more than enough for me.

Happy New Year, All.